How to gauge fuel level

Same as above, I watch the miles and use reserve. Once I roll over 100 miles on the trip meter it is time to think about getting fuel. Then when I get to about 120 miles it is seriously time to look for a gas station because I will have to switch to reserve soon, and then there isn't much time to get fuel after that.

• Like 1

Shake the bike, hear sloshing, keep riding. Know how long it takes until you normally hit reserve (for me it's like 70-80 miles, idk how Wisconsinite is getting 120) and know what symptoms to look for when it's about to run out of gas. I know when my bike is getting thirsty because I'll hear a lot more popping than usual

Shake the bike, hear sloshing, keep riding. Know how long it takes until you normally hit reserve (for me it's like 70-80 miles, idk how Wisconsinite is getting 120) and know what symptoms to look for when it's about to run out of gas. I know when my bike is getting thirsty because I'll hear a lot more popping than usual

Stock carb, mostly commuting miles, 55 mpg  ?

Reset your trip meter at every fill up and look at it every so often. I also usually have to switch to reserve at about 110 miles into a tank. I always get around 55-60 mpg, I baby it for the most part. Jetted stock carb, with 3x3 and full exhaust.

Run your bike to the reserve, see where your trip meter is at, and you'll know in the future how far you can go on a full tank. Depending on how you ride yours and what mods are done, once on reserve you should be able to go about 15 - 20 miles on reserve, maybe more, but don't push it, otherwise you will be pushing it.

Stock carb, mostly commuting miles, 55 mpg  ?

FCR, I always have to switch to reserve at 100 mi +/-5. At ~125, it's time to turn the petcock to prime and hope I can slosh enough fuel in the float bowl to get to the closest gas station I can see. If I can't see one...

A Translucent fuel tank enables quick fuel check at a glance..

Here is a 3.2 g IMS...

The only issue with the translucent ,only minor...is that it slightly yellows after a couple of years, this tank has been on since near new (2010 model)

Bottom pics is when new....

NOTE ---> The MotoMan USA clear Oil Filter Cover is not showing any signs of fatigue or yellowing after 2,000 kms of use..... ?

DSC02743.jpg

899.jpg

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 2

Didn't know if any of you guys have learned any tricks to be able to guess how much fuel you have in your tank. Other than watching the miles (which failed me so far), what have you come up with? Thanks

when the bike sputters, i switch to reserve and stop at the next gas station for a fill up and TCLOCK.