Need some help dudebros: 06 YZ 125 front wheel compatibility with an 09 YZ 250F

Hey dudebros.

I just bought an 06 YZ 125 and, to my great dismay, it turned out to be a total pile of crap.  Among the many things wrong with it are my forks, which were basically totaled as far as forks go.  It ended up being way cheaper to just buy a used set of forks off of Ebay instead.

I picked up a pair off of an 09 YZ 250F for a good price and was all stoked to throw them on my bike and enjoy the plush dampened ride of an actually functioning set of forks.  However, it turns out that the fork lugs are different between my 06 125 forks and the 09 250F forks.  When I went to throw the new forks on my bike nothing really seemed to jive; the brake caliper mounting bolts don’t even come close to matching up, the axle doesn’t seem to go in as far as it should (I might be wrong), and the wheel spacers seem to be too wide as the forks would totally seize unless I took the spacers out.

The obvious thing to do would be to just take the old lugs from my 125 forks and swap them to the new forks.  Conveniently, my old lugs are not going to make it to the show as one was destroyed during removal and the other just straight up seized and will not come off at all.   So I tried to find a new set of lugs for an 06 125 didn’t have much luck.  They are either out of stock or way too expensive for my broke ass.

So I now pose my questions for all of you knowledgeable dudebros:

Do any of you know of any handy dandy places where I could get a new pair of lugs for a not stupid expensive price?

If I cannot get new lugs for a decent price (which is what I anticipate), what all will I have to do to get the 09 lugs to work with my bike?  Will I just need to get a new brake caliper, a pair of wheel spacers, and maybe an axle?  Or worse…  Are the wheel hubs different between the 06 125 and the 09 250F as well, meaning that I would have to get a whole new stupid wheel too?

I tried to look at OEM part diagrams and found myself severely lacking in brain power and dedication to figure it all out for certain.  Plus, the parts counter pro at my local Yamaha dealer is an absolute stud of a hero and orders me wrong parts all the time, so I do not trust him with this issue at all.

I thank you guys in advance for all of your input; know that it is greatly appreciated.

boner_air_by_lyssalove.jpg

Lugs would be pretty expensive, I might be wrong but there connected to the lower chrome tube of the forks.

So you'll need a new axle, wheel spacers, and a front brake caliper hanger. Unfor, Yamaha doesn't sell just the hanger. So check ebay. You'll need an 2008 or newer any YZ style hanger. I'm sure you can get a used axle for under $20. That's all you need though I believe.

• Like 1

Do any of you know of any handy dandy places where I could get a new pair of lugs for a not stupid expensive price?

If I cannot get new lugs for a decent price (which is what I anticipate), what all will I have to do to get the 09 lugs to work with my bike?  Will I just need to get a new brake caliper, a pair of wheel spacers, and maybe an axle?  Or worse…  Are the wheel hubs different between the 06 125 and the 09 250F as well, meaning that I would have to get a whole new stupid wheel too?

I tried to look at OEM part diagrams and found myself severely lacking in brain power and dedication to figure it all out for certain.  Plus, the parts counter pro at my local Yamaha dealer is an absolute stud of a hero and orders me wrong parts all the time, so I do not trust him with this issue at all.

I thank you guys in advance for all of your input; know that it is greatly appreciated.

At first, I have bad news for you. You may not solve your problem even if luges were available at the price that you expect.

06-07 luges and 08-13 luges don't have compatibility each other. Structure of their bottom cone and inner tube length are different.

You can't install 06 inner tube set too even if you get them.

You can install them physically, but they do not work normally because the length of the internal parts are different each other.

Your problem is "How to use 09-F forks on 06 YZ125". 

The problem can be solved with following 2 steps.

1.Buy 09 right side front wheel collar 5XC-25186-G0 and 09 axle shaft 5XC-25181-G0.

They make your 06 front wheel to fit on 09 forks.

2.Get 08-13 front brake caliper.

You need to get master cylinder for 08-13 for to use 08-13 caliper because hydraulic ratio of 06 and 08-13 are different.

But 06 caliper can use 08-13 folks with 08-13 bracket. It cannot be said that it's appropriate closely, but it will work well. It's a kind of trick.

Yamaha dose not sell the brake caliper bracket separately. It will be hard to fined only the brake caliper bracket on ebay or anywhere.

But hole of the brake caliper can be find easily somewhere.

• Like 2

At first, I have bad news for you. You may not solve your problem even if luges were available at the price that you expect.

06-07 luges and 08-13 luges don't have compatibility each other. Structure of their bottom cone and inner tube length are different.

You can install them physically, but they do not work normally because the length of the internal parts are different each other.

1.Buy 09 right side front wheel collar 5XC-25186-G0 and 09 axle shaft 5XC-25181-G0.

You need to get master cylinder for 08-13 for to use 08-13 caliper because hydraulic ratio of 06 and 08-13 are different.

But 06 caliper can use 08-13 folks with 08-13 bracket. It cannot be said that it's appropriate closely, but it will work well. It's a kind of trick.

Yamaha dose not sell the brake caliper bracket separately. It will be hard to fined only the brake caliper bracket on ebay or anywhere.

Ahh, alrighty then.  That really clears a few things up for me.  I had no idea that the lugs/tubes were different like that.  So the right side wheel collar and axle are a must, which is no big deal at all.  Concerning the caliper situation however, you are saying that if I were able to find an 08-14 mounting bracket my 06 caliper would still work?  But it wouldn't fit completely right?  Therefore you would just simply recommend getting the 08-14 caliper and master cylinder instead?  Sorry to bomb ya with questions, I just wanna know exactly what my options are.

And thanks for the speedy reply!  Super appreciate it.

At first, I have bad news for you. You may not solve your problem even if luges were available at the price that you expect.

06-07 luges and 08-13 luges don't have compatibility each other. Structure of their bottom cone and inner tube length are different.

You need to get master cylinder for 08-13 for to use 08-13 caliper because hydraulic ratio of 06 and 08-13 are different.

But 06 caliper can use 08-13 folks with 08-13 bracket. It cannot be said that it's appropriate closely, but it will work well. It's a kind of trick.

Why would he need a new axel and collar?

Hot damn look what I found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-YAMAHA-08-15-YZ125-YZ250-YZ250F-YZ450F-Front-Brake-Caliper-Support-Bracket-/291120777051?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AYZ125&hash=item43c826875b&vxp=mtr

Is that what you meant kmtr?  That my 06 Caliper would be able to bolt onto that support bracket?

What do you think Monk?  Haha and thanks for your reply in the other thread I started, and sorry if it is crap forum etiquette to start two threads asking the same thing.

But it wouldn't fit completely right?  Therefore you would just simply recommend getting the 08-14 caliper and master cylinder instead?  Sorry to bomb ya with questions, I just wanna know exactly what my options are.

And thanks for the speedy reply!  Super appreciate it.

The brake caliper is very important part of motor cycle as you know.

Because the combination of 06-07 caliper on 08-13 bracket is not according to the design of Nisshin, we cannot say there is not any problem completely.

The position relations of brake pads and the brake disk are slightly changed.

Needless to say, it will better to use collect combination of caliper and master cylinder.

However, it seems work well and I don't think it will cause serious problem.

I'll show you the comparison photograph of three combinations.

08-13 caliper assembly with 08-13 left lug

09on09_zpsc230459c.jpg

06-07 caliper assembly with 06-07 left lug

06on06_zpsb1edc8b3.jpg

06-07 caliper on 08-13 bracket with 08-13 left lug

06on09_zpsc0b075d8.jpg

At this combination, brake pads clamp slightly outside of the brake disk in comparison with 06-07 original combination.

Brake pads do not miss the disk, but they are at the very limit of circumference of it. 

And, there is a possibility of troubles which depend on a fine difference in shape of non OEM brake pads.

It may be necessary for you to sometimes revise the strange abrasion of brake pads.

Hot damn look what I found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-YAMAHA-08-15-YZ125-YZ250-YZ250F-YZ450F-Front-Brake-Caliper-Support-Bracket-/291120777051?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AYZ125&hash=item43c826875b&vxp=mtr

Is that what you meant kmtr?  That my 06 Caliper would be able to bolt onto that support bracket?

It's just I meant. It will be good deal for you if you try the trick.

You need to transplant the slide pin, the rubber boot and the retainer shim for 06 on it.

• Like 1

The brake caliper is very important part of motor cycle as you know.

Because the combination of 06-07 caliper on 08-13 bracket is not according to the design of Nisshin, we cannot say there is not any problem completely.

The position relations of brake pads and the brake disk are slightly changed.

Needless to say, it will better to use collect combination of caliper and master cylinder.

However, it seems work well and I don't think it will cause serious problem.

I'll show you the comparison photograph of three combinations.

08-13 caliper assembly with 08-13 left lug

06-07 caliper assembly with 06-07 left lug

06-07 caliper on 08-13 bracket with 08-13 left lug

At this combination, brake pads clamp slightly outside of the brake disk in comparison with 06-07 original combination.

Brake pads do not miss the disk, but they are at the very limit of circumference of it. 

And, there is a possibility of troubles which depend on a fine difference in shape of non OEM brake pads.

It may be necessary for you to sometimes revise the strange abrasion of brake pads.

It's just I meant. It will be good deal for you if you try the trick.

You need to transplant the slide pin, the rubber boot and the retainer shim for 06 on it.

Dude, thanks a ton for your wisdom ktmr.  I think I'll take the poor guy route and try just getting the bracket for now.  I'll pick up the proper caliper and master cylinder combo later on; I just wanna ride the stupid thing before winter hits.

Thanks again you guys, you rule.