Making a 125 a 150

Hi everyone.

So I'm thinking of going orange in the near future and my heart is set on an SX150. Down here in Australia though, finding a 2013-2014 150 is like looking for a needle in a haystack, in fact, I'm not even sure the 150 was imported into Australia in these years. So what I'm wondering is; how hard is to turn an SX125 into a 150. 125's are everywhere here, and if it was simply a matter of throwing a 150 cylinder on, then I could have my 150 with much less hassle. So is that all the 150 is, a bigger jug? Or is there more to the engine that makes it unique? If the eingine is different to the point where it would be prohibitively expensive to change, then I'll just have to go for an older model.

Also, if anyone could clarify for me whether or not the 150 was imported into Aus during 2013-14, that would be great, as I could know whether I was wasting my time searching.

Thanks!

The 150 has a longer stroke, you can't throw a 150 cylinder on a 125, won't work. It would be a crank, con rod, cylinder with PV, and a top end kit at the minimum. Not sure if they have the same electronics?

If you can't find one you can make any Japanese 125 into a 144 with a bolt on kit, once again I'm pretty sure these kits aren't available for KTM, at least the ones I've used. They are not the same as the KTM 150 though.

I couldn't find a used 150, ended up going with a new one. 2 seasons in and I like the bike more now than when it was new.

It seems the 150's and the 200's are very difficult to find used, people love them and don't want to sell them. I know my 150 will stay in my family, too much fun to sell.

Edited by poldies4

150 was definitely available in oz for 2013-2014. There are a few on gumtree here in perth. I think the 150 CDi is also different and possibly the pipe too.

Really? I've been searching through gumtree and bikesales and even boost cruising and can't find anything newer than 2012! Send my a link if you find one 😉

The 150 has a longer stroke, you can't throw a 150 cylinder on a 125, won't work. It would be a crank, con rod, cylinder with PV, and a top end kit at the minimum. Not sure if they have the same electronics?

If you can't find one you can make any Japanese 125 into a 144 with a bolt on kit, once again I'm pretty sure these kits aren't available for KTM, at least the ones I've used. They are not the same as the KTM 150 though.

I couldn't find a used 150, ended up going with a new one. 2 seasons in and I like the bike more now than when it was new.

It seems the 150's and the 200's are very difficult to find used, people love them and don't want to sell them. I know my 150 will stay in my family, too much fun to sell.

Yep, that's what I was afraid of. Seems like a lot of effort. Thinking I might just keep an eye out for a 2012 considering they haven't changed all that much and since I'm too poor for new :(

As for the japanese option, I'm just leaning towards KTM because from what I've hear even the YZ144 can't hold a candle to the 150 power wise, and since I'm coming off a 250f I don't want to lose any more grunt than I can avoid.

• Like 1

Really? I've been searching through gumtree and bikesales and even boost cruising and can't find anything newer than 2012! Send my a link if you find one 😉

There was a 2014 on there just recently. Went back to check now and it has gone. Only a few 2012s now. I nearly bought a new 2013 early last year but got the 200 instead.

Thanks for that! At $1300 though, I'd have to find a steal on a 125 to make it worthwhile.

There was a 2014 on there just recently. Went back to check now and it has gone. Only a few 2012s now. I nearly bought a new 2013 early last year but got the 200 instead.

Guess I'll just have to keep my eye open. Thanks for the clarification.

MXA has compared the two bikes a number of times, and one important thing they note is that not everyone prefers the 150. I have to agree. I have 2 yz 125s and, until very recently, an rm 125. I have also ridden several versions of the yamaha 144, as well as the 2014 150 sx. Are the bigger engines faster? Yes, but it is not a huge difference. The big bore yz engines actually feel about the same on top, with more in the middle. The ktm does feel more powerful overall, and more refined than the 144 yamaha. After riding any of these bikes do I want to buy a 150 ktm or a 144 kit for one of my YZs? Absolutely not. A 125 just seems perfect to me for a bike to have fun on with no worries--plenty fast and stone reliable. If you want more power, just save up for a 250 smoker, but keep that 125. You may find yourself coming back to it while the 250 collects dust. As I was writing this, I realized that it has been more than 4 months since I've ridden my 250 sx.

MXA has compared the two bikes a number of times, and one important thing they note is that not everyone prefers the 150. I have to agree. I have 2 yz 125s and, until very recently, an rm 125. I have also ridden several versions of the yamaha 144, as well as the 2014 150 sx. Are the bigger engines faster? Yes, but it is not a huge difference. The big bore yz engines actually feel about the same on top, with more in the middle. The ktm does feel more powerful overall, and more refined than the 144 yamaha. After riding any of these bikes do I want to buy a 150 ktm or a 144 kit for one of my YZs? Absolutely not. A 125 just seems perfect to me for a bike to have fun on with no worries--plenty fast and stone reliable. If you want more power, just save up for a 250 smoker, but keep that 125. You may find yourself coming back to it while the 250 collects dust. As I was writing this, I realized that it has been more than 4 months since I've ridden my 250 sx.

Gotta admit, I'm really torn between the 250 and the 150. I've had a 125 in the past, and while ti was awesome fun, I want a bit more oomph from the engine as I ride with a really competitive bunch of guys and I don't want to lose too much pace to them 😛 haha. I really like the amount of power my 250f has, so deciding which two stroke, the 150 or 250, would be closest to that is hard... I'm starting to lean towards a detuned 250...

Gotta admit, I'm really torn between the 250 and the 150. I've had a 125 in the past, and while ti was awesome fun, I want a bit more oomph from the engine as I ride with a really competitive bunch of guys and I don't want to lose too much pace to them 😛 haha. I really like the amount of power my 250f has, so deciding which two stroke, the 150 or 250, would be closest to that is hard... I'm starting to lean towards a detuned 250...

Why not a 200 then?

I understand they haven't made the 200 for several years, and I'm looking for something newer. How difficult is it to bore the 150 out to 200?

Can't bore it, you would be purchasing a new jug and all top end parts.

I'm pretty sure, at least in the USA, they still make a 200xcw, and have been making them through all the years. Maybe not in OZ?

• Like 1

Can't bore it, you would be purchasing a new jug and all top end parts.

I'm pretty sure, at least in the USA, they still make a 200xcw, and have been making them through all the years. Maybe not in OZ?

Yeah they definitely have the registrable ECX200, but unfortunately that's the enduro model. No mx 200. If it was possible to make the 150 a 200 with, like you say, a jug and top end parts, then that's a possibility. Just gotta find a kit...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...