Cliffo's 2004 DRZ400E build and restore

So the plan is to start with a good strip, clean and throw all the old plastics, make a list of thinks to repair or replace.

so far i know the speedo doesnt work (probably the cable)

plastics (obviously)

bars are standard and look battered so could do with a fat bar upgrade

headlight needs changing ASAP!!

wiring looks a real mess from where its had repeaters and hi/lo headlight and stoplight badly added in before.

lowering link needs changing to stock as im 6ft 4"

im sure ill have a bigger list after closer inspection.

i got a bad of other old bits so i test fitted some old yellow plastics that came with the bike but they wont be staying on long. i also got the original headlight but once again the wiring is messed up.

DRZSTRIP DIRTY.jpg

Edited by cliffo88
  • Like 1

The speedo may not be the cable it may be the drive on the wheel at the bottom of cable, I've just had to replace mine there is a plastic gear which wears out but can't be replaced the whole unit has to be bought, I recommend not getting a new one from suzuki the quoted me £87! After a bit of searching and patience I got one off eBay from America for £20 which included delivery and it's spot on like new

Nice score! That's a real monster good bike. WAY hotter than a stock XR.  Revs much harder, faster.  Way more power.    😉

11.3 compression, pumper carb, hot cams, bigger exhaust, E's just rip.   🙂   

They are what the XR650R is to Hondas XR line, just plain HOT.  

0906141452b_zpsbcb40b6f.jpg

Edited by MindBlower

Great buy, you won't be disappointed.  I've been riding moto for 40+ yrs and have owned more than 20 motos including Euro and Japanese brands.  The only motorcycle model that I bought more than once has been the DRZ400E (KLX400R).

• Like 1

So here the update, bikes been stripped down, cleaned up and checked over.

The speedo cable turned out to be broken so that's a cheap fix, got a new one for less than £10. Fitted and working.

The wiring was pretty messy, it had some home lighting cable you'd find in your house run front to rear for indicators and a stop light. Wired in awfully!! Maybe my OCD kicking in but I sourced a new loom from an S model. It came with all switch gear and the original digital S clocks too. Fitted it to the bike now and all lights, ignition etc are working perfectly as far as I can see (testing with a test lamp as it's still in bits) but I have had it running. I'd say it's a major upgrade for the E. All at a low cost of £120.

Here's some pics of the old basic loom and the new loom with full lighting and clocks

Old loom

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414359835.135974.jpg

New loom

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414359849.049917.jpg

I forgot to mention, I did have to bypass the stand switch to get it to turn over as my bike doesn't have that and I had to remove the green wire from the big plug to the CDI unit to get it to run. All is explained here

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/878657-drz400-e-to-s-wiring-harness-conversion-trouble-pics-included/

Xr400 2003, mikuni pumper, yoshimura rs3 offroad, sm and offroad setup, crf front and rear fenders

Edited by cliffo88

I also fitted some spoke covers and rim decals to start making it look a but more special

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360642.300718.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360666.186428.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360682.570926.jpg

Also a couple of pics of my XR before i sold it

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360754.793944.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360770.194969.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360787.344866.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360801.912427.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414360829.214636.jpg

Ignore the silly 'mmmmmmm' across the last pic, it was a snapchat to my mate lol

Xr400 2003, mikuni pumper, yoshimura rs3 offroad, sm and offroad setup, crf front and rear fenders

So iv ordered some new plastics from Racetech, a complete set.

ordered a polisport MMX headlight

and most importantly iv ordered some custom graphics. it took me a long time to decide on the graphics because i just couldnt find any that i wanted. i had seen a bike with graphics what i wanted but they were custom made so i thought why not take the same route and have some made how i want them to be. So i sent a few emails and got the quickest and clearest response from this company http://www.omxgraphics.com/ they have been extremely helpfull! Designing my graphics exactly how i want them and they got it all sorted extremely fast. within 2 days id had a rough copy of my graphics, ammended it and got the final design sent over to me. now there in printing and will be in the post to me in only a few days. really pleased so far but ill keep you all up to date when i get them. heres a coupe of photos of the first idea then the final design.

CUSTOM ROUGH 1.jpg

custom rough 02.jpg

Good luck with your Refurb, sounds good from everything you have done so far, gotta say i love the DRZ400E. I myself just recently purchased my 2005 drz400e and had to do quite abit to it aswell, mostly cosmetic up untill 2 months ago when my bottom end gave out so replaced that, but all seems to be going good for now 🙂 also, very nice XR you have there, you did a real nice job "sumoing" it, got any plans to sumo the DRZ aswell?

I wasnt planning to go down that route with the DRZ, i built the XR whilst i did my bike licence but only weeks after passing i decided i wanted a KTM Adventure S. Do a bit of touring with my mates next summer.

i took the DRZ in part exchange and just couldnt resist getting stuck in and making something nice out of it. ill probably be using it over the winter for some trail riding and hopefully a bit of snow too and from work :ride:  and then putting it up for sale after xmas and getting my hands on a KTM 👍  

I must admit that these sort of bikes do ride so much better on the road as an SM and it would be nice to do it to mine, but as my winter ride i want the knobblies so i can go anywhere in any weather.

IM YET TO RIDE THIS BIKE!! IT GOT DROPPED AT MY HOUSE AND PUSHED INTO THE GARAGE!!! CANT WAIT TO GET IT IN 1 PIECE AND SEE WHAT ITS GOT!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So the result! Just need to get the far bars on but I havnt got the clamps yet.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552239.117985.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552259.036543.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552283.558036.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552294.522742.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552303.723430.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552313.857743.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552338.526560.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552347.110707.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1415552358.528332.jpg

As you can see me and Shaun went for a quick test ride today, all went well.

Well pleased over all!!

Edited by cliffo88