06 DRZ 400S gas bypassing carb & hydro locking cyclinder

I have a stock (no upgrades to motor, exhaust or fuel system) 2006 DRZ400S with 6195 miles on it.  The problem is that if it sits a couple of weeks without running the gas begins to flood the cylinder filling the crankcase with gas and causing a big headache for me.  This is the second time it's happened within 4000 miles.  The fix I was told was to rebuild the carb and don't let it sit.  1. Has anyone else had this problem 2. Is there an upgraded carb that will fix this problem that works with a stock bike? 3. Or is there another fix to this

Thanks

If you use a manual petcock and remember to turn the fuel OFF every time, you can avoid that problem.  My problem is that I am human, and I will forget from time to time.  Therefore, my solution was to add a 12v fuel cut solenoid.  https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1107684-no-more-flooded-engine-or-hydrolock-12v-fuel-cut/

I also replaced the float valve, but I don't feel that that is enough by itself.

Thanks for your reply Reserector, read your posts and got some good info from it.  I replaced the petcock with what I thought was a stock one about 5 months ago and I now see it drips fuel when not attached to the carb.  Also thanks for the pictures on your thread.

I just turn the fuel off AFTER I kill the engine , I sometimes forget to turn it back on . But I always turn it off .

Unless I am getting fuel or stopping for a short time , then I leave it on .

Yeh, me too. Kind of an "ah ha" moment when you start up and take off and a few yards down the road you get the sputterrrrrrrr.....hahaha. Once you've gone thru the gas in the engine thing, believe me, you'll never forget to shut it off.

I believe your problem is the o ring that goes on seat part of needle and seat in your carb. The seat is held in by a small screw. I would take it out and take it to a auto parts store to see if they have one that is ok with gas. I fixed mine with a new needle and seat from suzuki. It came with the oring. It was about 30$ and I only needed the o ring.

• Like 1

Yes a dodgy o ring is the most likely cause....A manual petcock is the way to go as a back up...

You just need to program yourself to turn the fuel off every time your done for the day ...Not a real mental challenge....for most at least.. 🤦

Maybe not a mental challenge, but the only thing better than a vacuum operated petcock is fuel injection. I do NOT miss the days of switching one of those things on and off every time I rode my bike, which was daily

I have a stock (no upgrades to motor, exhaust or fuel system) 2006 DRZ400S with 6195 miles on it.  The problem is that if it sits a couple of weeks without running the gas begins to flood the cylinder filling the crankcase with gas and causing a big headache for me.  This is the second time it's happened within 4000 miles.  The fix I was told was to rebuild the carb and don't let it sit.  1. Has anyone else had this problem 2. Is there an upgraded carb that will fix this problem that works with a stock bike? 3. Or is there another fix to this

Thanks

make sure there isn't trash holding the float needle open. if there isn't, then it's time to replace the float needle. then check your float height. both the float height and the needle will flood the crankcase if not working properly.

the petcock gets so much blame, when it's rarely the actual issue. if your vent isn't working properly, pressure can build up in the tank during the day from temperature differences and cause some problems too. 

once you have the float and float needle set / working, then look into the petcock. 

• Like 1

A very common problem easily solved. New Raptor style petcock and float needle, seat and o ring for carb. I had to do it as well many others. To remember to shut off the fuel I used a label maker and put "TURN OFF FUEL" labels on both of my mirrors. Works for me!

• Like 1

By all means inspect the float needle and seat,, what you will likely find is they are fine.. replace the o ring that seals the seat to the carb body and repair or replace the fuel pet cock if it leaks when off.

Personally I've never got on the replace a fully automatic, compact, non electric fuel valve train. To me, the Vacuum controlled petcock is the perfect part for that use, unless it will not flow enough gas for a particular build. 

If the Vacuum controlled petcock fails at some point after many years, repair or replace it, like you would a leaking tube, worn piston or bad wheel bearing. 

Turning off the fuel became habit for me after it flooded its crankcase once.  Not a big deal to do.  What I hated more was when I would go in the house and sit down, and then wonder if I turned it off or not.  Sorry, but I refuse to live in a state of paranoia.  

How does an FCR cure a petcock left on, (combined with a failing needle/seat/o-ring)?  By draining it onto the garage floor?

You can disassemble the vacuum petcock and see which rubber parts it needs. Generally it is the o-ring found on the vacuum actuated plunger which you need and that is 4mmID x 2mm thick (so 8mm OD). It leaks once it gets deformed or worn. They are cheap but make sure you get an o-ring made of a material that is not affected by gas (or corn alcohol if you live in the USA). If the "smiley face" gasket behind the selector lever has torn it is available either as part of a rebuild kit or on its own ordered from a smaller bike but not as a DRZ400 stock part.

Edited by slowriding

So, I've just gone through this over the past 18? months - I usually ride every other week and 

one some occasions the cylinder would fill with gas, Read everything on this forum and traced 

it to a weeping petcock. Replaced it and everything was fine - for a while................. the new

petcock started leaking again. I then rebuilt the carb with the o-ring and it sort of worked but

the weeping petcock was still the culprit.

I replaced the petcock with a manual one and have had NO issues since; Just another data point.

and yes I did drain the oil after every hydro-lock incident.

gerry

• Like 2