Off idle bogging?

I have recently bought a 99 XR600R and have been reading through a few topics on this forum and have read a bit about off idle bogging. Can someone please explain to me exactly what this is?

I have been for a couple of short rides before coming back to work and it stalled twice when i laid off the gas to slow down for corners. Is this off idle bogging and if so can this be fixed with jetting? I have read a bit about changing to a FCR MX carb and i would like to try that in the future but for now if there is a simpler fix i will do that in the mean time.

Cheers

Off idle bogging usually refers to acceleration. When you whack the throttle from idling, it creates a lean condition until fuel can match the increase in air. This momentary lean condition causes the engine to bog for a split second. An FCR MX is a pumper carb meaning it is equipped with an accelerator pump that mechanically squirts gas into the intake when you twist the throttle resulting in instant throttle response and eliminating off idle bog.

As for the stalling while coming into corners, this is usually the result of a lean pilot circut. Your pilot jet may be too small or just partially clogged. I would pop the bowl off and clean both jets as well as record what size they are. Also, a standard tune up would be a good idea.

Thanks for the info Bomber

Makes sense as it is coming off idle it bogs a little. I will certainly check out the pilot jet and give it a clean also. Iv looked at a 6sigma (im pretty sure that was the brand) jet kit so ill give that a go soon too.

Thanks again mate 👍

Edited by jacobenn

Thanks for the info Bomber

Makes sense as it is coming off idle it bogs a little. I will certainly check out the pilot jet and give it a clean also. Iv looked at a 6sigma (im pretty sure that was the brand) jet kit so ill give that a go soon too.

Thanks again mate 👍

Dont bother with the jet kit, just buy individual jets from jetsrus.com its usually cheaper overall and they sell original keihin jets. It is flat rate shipping so just order a handful at once in the sizes you may need.

• 2 weeks later...