What dual sport to get ? Small rider

I'm about to start a new chapter of my offroad life, and I'm excited about it, . So I decided to sell my long travel ford ranger and buy a dual sport bike. Try to ride al the baja península. The thing is that I don't know what to get. I'm 5'5 125 pounds small.. I had a 450x and it was pretty much heavy for me. Anyone can help me figure this out? ? Thanks. Also if anyone wants info on the ranger I'll trade for a dual sport.

Do you want/need to be able to touch both toes on the ground?  You won't ever touch both with the WR even while lowered.  My dad is 5'9" and with a fully lowered seat and suspension he could barely touch both toes.  Not to mention its 300lbs so if you tip over you're probably not going to be able to pick it up.  What's your inseam?  I'd be willing to bet that your ideal bike would be something like a plated CRF230F or even an older XR200R.  Unfortunately for you you're in California, which means the only way you can get a plated dirt bike is if it was plated before January 2004.  Small bikes with plates pop up on Craigslist infrequently and usually carry a hefty price tag (expect to pay at least $3000 for an early 2000's bike in your size range).  Really though that's your only option for a fully capable dirt bike with a plate.  If you want a HEAVY trailbike that can do mild/moderate terrain then there's the KLX250, DR200, TW200, XT250, and CR230L.

Edited by wallrat
  • Like 1

To find a plated dirt bike I usually just search the keyword 'legal' in the Craigslist motorcycle section.  Turned up a couple bikes that might work with your size.  Keep in mind that the weight is going to be a much more important factor than the height.  My wife is 5' 110lbs and had a DR200.  She could ride it just fine (having ridden her YZ85 all over the place) and could touch her toes on both feet once we lowered it.  But if it even slightly started to tip, it was going over.  She just didn't have the strength/weight to stop all 250lbs.  I'm basically stuck trying to find her a plated 125-150cc dirt bike which is down around 200 lbs.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4731297967.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4731163214.html

• Like 1

To find a plated dirt bike I usually just search the keyword 'legal' in the Craigslist motorcycle section. Turned up a couple bikes that might work with your size. Keep in mind that the weight is going to be a much more important factor than the height. My wife is 5' 110lbs and had a DR200. She could ride it just fine (having ridden her YZ85 all over the place) and could touch her toes on both feet once we lowered it. But if it even slightly started to tip, it was going over. She just didn't have the strength/weight to stop all 250lbs. I'm basically stuck trying to find her a plated 125-150cc dirt bike which

I wonder how much the honda weighs?

I have both the Honda CRF230L and the WR250R. From what you wrote, I'd say the CRF-L for sure (F is dirt bike only). My CRF is 30 lbs lighter than my WR (wet weight). It is much lower in stock form as well. With my 30" inseam, I can flat foot the CRF and even bend my knees some. Super light to throw around, and pulls like a tractor in first gear. Will do pavements, but doesn't like to go over 60mph without screaming. I have both the Yamalink and the stock lowering on my WR, and the end result is about an inch higher than my CRF. But you really feel that 300 lbs when it starts to tip over!

• Like 1

To find a plated dirt bike I usually just search the keyword 'legal' in the Craigslist motorcycle section. Turned up a couple bikes that might work with your size. Keep in mind that the weight is going to be a much more important factor than the height. My wife is 5' 110lbs and had a DR200. She could ride it just fine (having ridden her YZ85 all over the place) and could touch her toes on both feet once we lowered it. But if it even slightly started to tip, it was going over. She just didn't have the strength/weight to stop all 250lbs. I'm basically stuck trying to find her a plated 125-150cc dirt bike which

I wonder how much the honda weighs?

The Honda is heavier than the WR at 320lbs.  There are currently no street legal short bikes on the market today that don't weigh more than a human-sized KTM.  This is why I suggested that the OP try to find a dirt bike that was converted prior to the silly law change.

If you can find a KL250 SuperSherpa, that would be perfect for somebody your size.

Pretty sure it sits lower than most of the others mentioned above, and am 100% sure the seat is

more comfy.

I am tall and skinny,  (Can flatfoot my klx650), but the little sherpa will pull me up any hill I have pointed it

at if I ride it right.

Toss some real knobbies and some barkbusters or brushguards on it, and it will go damn near anywhere.

Stock suspension is a bit weak, but if you put some progressive fork springs in there, and perhaps get the

shock rebuilt, it will do very well for woods/trails.

It was a 49 state bike, so if you are in Cali you should check in nearby states, if you can find one.

I have 2, and they are not for sale....

Edited by SherpaHead

If you can find a KL250 SuperSherpa, that would be perfect for somebody your size.

Pretty sure it sits lower than most of the others mentioned above, and am 100% sure the seat is

more comfy.

I am tall and skinny, (Can flatfoot my klx650), but the little sherpa will pull me up any hill I have pointed it

at if I ride it right.

Toss some real knobbies and some barkbusters or brushguards on it, and it will go damn near anywhere.

Stock suspension is a bit weak, but if you put some progressive fork springs in there, and perhaps get the

shock rebuilt, it will do very well for woods/trails.

It was a 49 state bike, so if you are in Cali you should check in nearby states, if you can find one.

I have 2, and they are not for sale....

. Thanks for the info. I'll look it up.

Any out of state bike will be subject to an inspection so keeping the plate will be nearly impossible.  I don't suppose the OP has property or has a friend with property in Az?

Edited by wallrat

this is a common problem,

nothing exist that has any thing close to the power of a 450 and is low to the ground and is light weight. A lower heavy bike often feels just as light or lighter then a taller light bike while riding.

A xt 225, or a DR 200 might be a god choice, but they have no power and no suspension.

If you want any kind of performance try to find a KTM 200 with a plate, it will be light, just not low.

• Like 1