Three Week Moto Road Trip

Hey everybody, so me and my brother are planning a road trip from Texas through New Mexico, Nevada, and finally, California. The plan is to just take a truck and bring the two bikes in the back.

What are the best places to hit in California/Nevada/NM?

We will ride off-road/track it doesn't matter, we just want a once in a lifetime trip that will stay with us forever.

Can you suggest your favorite spots below! Thanks!

Make sure you can ride your bikes in Cali, they have weird registration BS. I did this a few years ago and went through Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper peninsula, and it helped me as a rider immensely. SO many good memories. Have a blast.

That's right, I had forgotten about that.... I'll figure out how that works! Thanks for the kind words!

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/404359-ten-best-riding-areas-around-las-vegas/?fromsearch=1

My brother and I used to do a Moto road trip every year, back in the care free single days. Man I miss those trips.

Anyway, check out the link above if you are going to be coming through Las Vegas. I suggest Goodsprings for good single track. It also has the historic Pioneer Saloon, which is a really good place to wind down after a ride day. For more technical terrain, check out Nelson or Laughlin.

• Like 1

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/404359-ten-best-riding-areas-around-las-vegas/?fromsearch=1

My brother and I used to do a Moto road trip every year, back in the care free single days. Man I miss those trips.

Anyway, check out the link above if you are going to be coming through Las Vegas. I suggest Goodsprings for good single track. It also has the historic Pioneer Saloon, which is a really good place to wind down after a ride day. For more technical terrain, check out Nelson or Laughlin.

Thanks, I'll have a good read. Just one question since you said you have done multiple trips. What are some things that you don't think you would need, but turned up really important? Thanks for the help!

This is just a little info on Nelson Hills.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/nevada_12647/ride_3d5c.htm

Aside from the regular tools, spare parts and camping supplies, I would say a tarp for any weather your gear may be exposed to, spark arrestors for the bikes, and a good, long chain to secure everything. With some planning, a handlebar mounted gps would be really helpful. You can find a lot of good tracks on GPS Exchange once you identify an area you want to ride.

We only encountered a couple of issues while we were on our trips. First, my truck at the time was a huge pile, so we ended up having a couple of "side of the road" repairs on it. So, don't overlook having some tools and spare parts for the truck as well. The other issue was a freak snow storm that buried our gear under a foot of snow overnight. A tarp would have been nice.

You should post a road trip blog/thread while on your trip. I would love to follow your travels, and I bet many others on here would as well.

Edited by bigbird192