speedometer problems - is it really water proof?

My bike has no option but to sleep outside exposed to the weather.

Im having issues with the speedo. It has been raining quite a lot down here in Florida, and i noticed

some moisture building up inside the acrylic until the sun dries it. Today i went for a ride, and the display has been shutting down... the backlight is on but the numbers just disappear...

Have you had issues with yours because of the rain?

Those of you using a Vapor, how does it hold against weather? I guess i will get one if i need to replace the stock speedo.

Edited by axo

I live in south fl and my bike unfortunately also has to sleep outside and I have no issues with the speedo at all

Is yours perhaps cracked somewhere?

No i do not see any cracks.. i will take it off tomorrow and check on the sides and underneath. I could use silicone if needed, i hope

it completely dries and it is not too late.

It is waterproof from rain, but there is a breather on the bottom. It does seem to take a lot to get it wet but I managed. Mine got moisture inside which corroded some of the traces on the board. I was able to carefully use some really fine wire and bypass the one broken trace and it has been working for a couple years. My bike also sleeps outside. I believe another variable is the angle of the bike while exposed to water. For a couple years I would trailer my bike exposed to weather and it would be strapped straight up and down so the water would not drain off the lower corner of the speedo as it will while on the sidestand.

My bike has no option but to sleep outside exposed to the weather.

Im having issues with the speedo. It has been raining quite a lot down here in Florida, and i noticed

some moisture building up inside the acrylic until the sun dries it. Today i went for a ride, and the display has been shutting down... the backlight is on but the numbers just disappear...

Have you had issues with yours because of the rain?

Those of you using a Vapor, how does it hold against weather? I guess i will get one if i need to replace the stock speedo.

no, it's not waterproof. corrosion will happen, and the capacitor will wiggle loose, then the display won't work anymore. it's fairly common. 

if you decide to fix it, disassembly and reassembly is about an hour including soldering and supporting (with glue) the capacitor that's likely already green from corrosion. check your stator too, if/when the display starts flickering it's usually just the crappy solder joints, but sometimes a sign of stator issues to come. 

• Like 2

100 points and a date with my sister to the first one who guesses correctly what happened.

Ill try replacing the corroded components.

e46363ceb486a9fdb627.jpg

e46363ceb486a9fdb627_2.jpg
Edited by axo

By gosh is that there a corroded trace? You can also put some diaelectric grease over the areas that seem to get wet. Also double check none of the connections from the wires to the board are corroded I had to fix the end 2. A wiggle broke the corroded ends off the board.

Ok guys. I fixed it.

I had to remove the diodes and re do and clean the wire connectors. A few traces were also burnt.

Got it back to working condition, and sealed really good with silicone.  👍

Just watch out for the rubber hose covering the cables that enter the speedo. It collects water and i guess with the vibration 

it made it all the way up to the electronics.

Here is a picture of my sis... she is ready for all of you that PMed me so desperately with the answers to the riddle. 🤣

this_weeks_9_worst_dressed_celebrities.j