Carbon Fiber Skid Plate ? Yes or No ?

I really like my E-Line composite skid plate on my 500. Offers great protection, ridiculously strong, super secure (esp compared to the quick release type models), and won't reflect noise like aluminum does and won't ding or dent. It does collect a bit of dirt and grass inside if you play in the mud/tall grass, but nothing concerning. Takes a couple removals to get the trick down for mounting and unmounting it, but totally worth the protection.

http://www.elineaccessories.com/ecommerce/ktm/ktm-450-xcfw-500xcfw-exc-2012/msp500e.html

Edited by sniper_101

It's really personal preference on what skid plate material you want to use.

I have run/raced both composite and aluminum skid plates with no problems.

Both get the job done. The last aluminum skid plate that produced any noise was on a XR650 and I ran a piece of rubber where it mounted to the bike eliminating any noise.

When I shop skid plates I look for good coverage and quality of welds also where the plate mounts to the bike.

Both get dinged up and scratched over time.

Of course you need to be happy with the look as well.

The last composite I had was a (Hyde) and it went the distance on my X.

Take your pick as there are quality skid plates using both metal and plastics.

I had the P3 plate and went through it the first weekend I rode my bike.  I ride in rock mine fields so dragging the plate over and around rocks just isn't fair for them.  Kevlar or not, mine was trashed.  

But I am hard on all plates.  1st ride with the TMDesigns.  I musta hit a rock pretty good, it tried to drag the skid plate off my bike. :foul:

Tmd1.jpg

TMD2.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=ktm+500+force+accessories+skid+plate&espv=2&biw=1412&bih=624&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9RNOVNLdEYqYyATfy4LACw&ved=0CCgQsAQ

Lots of choices.. Hyde and Force and a bunch more I think.. carbon fiber looks great when it's new.. but after it's hit some rocks it doesn't look as great. I like the aluminum but some quality plastic ones look good too these days.

I've never had any problems with the genuine KTM unit we get here in Oz. I have heard of the dzus clip coming undone. I am also running an aluminum plate now on my 500 & the noise that reflects back up at you is quite bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

I've never had any problems with the genuine KTM unit we get here in Oz. I have heard of the dzus clip coming undone. I am also running an aluminum plate now on my 500 & the noise that reflects back up at you is quite bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

I safety wire the DZUS fastener to keep it from rotating and coming loose. Stock plastic KTM skid plate works well for me.

So what are you going with next? I just bolted up a EE. Have you tried the Hyde?

TMDesigns sent me a new bracket. I drilled 2 holes in it, one in each side and used a big washer for the center hole that got a bit bigger. Will give it another try.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414557774.316257.jpg