honda rancher 420 wont start

ok story time. i just purchased an 08 ranch 420 foot shift, and the guy said it had a bad battery and that he put a new one on. well batter did in fact look very new and the bike ran and started fine for a day or two, and then today while on a trail we were taking a brake and then when we went to start it again nothing happened. luckily there was another bike with us so while his was running we pulled his battery and put it on my rancher and it started right up we disconnected the battery terminal and it would die. do yall think its the charging system. oh and when he killed his bike with my battery it wouldn't start so maybe its my battery as well as my bike. 

ok i think i may have it. turns out the guy put the wrong battery in the bike so i put a new battery in and started the bike. i put my volt meter to dc and the battery was only reading like 12.4 instead of 13+ which would mean it was charging, so i then went to the rectifier and disconnected it and tested the 3 yellow wires with my meter on ac. they are all about 15 ac. so it sounds to me like its a bad rectifier. what do yall think

• 1 year later...

It sounds like you're not getting any charging to the battery. What happens when you rev the engine... does the voltage increase? 12.4v sounds like it's just the battery. It should be possible to check the diodes in the rectifier with your multimeter. 

It's not a bad idea to change the rectifier when changing the stator (and it's going to be one or the other, or both). You could buy a new rectifier and if that solves your problem... great! If not, be prepared to spend the other $150 for a new stator.

My bet is on the stator... and that's why the original owner sold it.