2013 flame outs?

Hi guys

I have had my 13 model for almost 12 months now. Never had an issue with stalling or so called flameout. During the week put a new tyre on, new x ring chain, and sprockets. Did the usual clean and re oil the air filter. Bike cut out twice in my first 3 warm up laps then once later on. My concern was it have never done this before. One of the times it cut out was rolling a steep jump face which nearly put me over the bars. I did turn up the idle later and it did not do it again but that could just be a band aid fix.

Not sure where to look or to even worry. Bike has 40 hrs on it no engine mods other than exhaust and opened up air box but these have been done almost since new.

Any input would be appreciated

Cheers rob

• Like 1

Why the xring chain? Extra weight and drag. Is it normal for you to roll up jump faces? Just asking cause none of those things are normal in my opinion.

Got a great deal on it virtually 1/2 price didn't think it would drag that much but I thought I noticed it. But I'm no pro just having fun.Rolling over a jump face is certainly normal mate when your doing a couple of sight laps first up on a new track

The decompression mod imho is a very good idea for reducing cut out at very low idle rpm's, but unfortunately I didn't find it to be a "flame out' cure.  To the op, I think the Honda's have a stock map that is more susceptible to flame outs. You'll notice most magazine tests mention turning the idle up to help solve the problem. Theres lots of flame out threads here, but it seems finding the right map has the biggest pay off with this problem. Flame outs happen on our bikes most often in "off idle" situations when the throttles is opened from idle or relatively low rpm. Its really frustrating to be exiting a turn with a nice moment of "gggrrrrrrr" then puff,, nothing. (or rolling up a jump face as you mentioned)  My 14 has been really difficult to find a happy place with this problem. Ive tried pump gas, VP T4 (stock motor), back to pump, and back to t4 again. I tried a remap of stock ECU with a little improvement, and then most recently a r&d throttle body with vortex set up. I noticed the leaner I went with the settings on the vortex the worse these flameouts got, but if I went too rich the bike had poor response, and went soft all through the power curve, so Ive found a good happy medium, and so far in the last hour of riding the flame outs haven't returned (fingers crossed)  Have you changed where you get your fuel recently?

Flaming out on a jump face isn't the decompressor issue. That's more like a fuel pump or something. The flame outs from the decompressor is more of a idling through the pit or super slow corner issue.

Id check the fuel filter in the tank. Another thing that can cause that is the condenser shorting internally. When it does, it kills the fuel pump and acts like you just hit the kill button.

Flaming out on a jump face isn't the decompressor issue. That's more like a fuel pump or something. The flame outs from the decompressor is more of a idling through the pit or super slow corner issue.

Id check the fuel filter in the tank. Another thing that can cause that is the condenser shorting internally. When it does, it kills the fuel pump and acts like you just hit the kill button.

Shawn on 2 of these occasions where it cut out were in a slow corners  which had a high degree of sand which I could of put down to a flame out. The jump face is the one that concerned me it was an up hill jump with a vertical face hence the nick name " the wall jump". I rolled it in 3rd and didn't have much speed but when it quit I didn't think I was lugging it that low and almost went over the bars so to speak. There were times when I started to wonder if I could feel the bike wanting to quit but at that point I could have been paranoid.I will start with a check of the fuel filter but that might wait as I might as well purchase a kit and replace it when I pull the pump out.

I haven't touched the fuel pump assembly on the FI models yet.... are they difficult to take out and replace the filter on?

Any input would be appreciated 

The decompression mod imho is a very good idea for reducing cut out at very low idle rpm's, but unfortunately I didn't find it to be a "flame out' cure.  To the op, I think the Honda's have a stock map that is more susceptible to flame outs. You'll notice most magazine tests mention turning the idle up to help solve the problem. Theres lots of flame out threads here, but it seems finding the right map has the biggest pay off with this problem. Flame outs happen on our bikes most often in "off idle" situations when the throttles is opened from idle or relatively low rpm. Its really frustrating to be exiting a turn with a nice moment of "gggrrrrrrr" then puff,, nothing. (or rolling up a jump face as you mentioned)  My 14 has been really difficult to find a happy place with this problem. Ive tried pump gas, VP T4 (stock motor), back to pump, and back to t4 again. I tried a remap of stock ECU with a little improvement, and then most recently a r&d throttle body with vortex set up. I noticed the leaner I went with the settings on the vortex the worse these flameouts got, but if I went too rich the bike had poor response, and went soft all through the power curve, so Ive found a good happy medium, and so far in the last hour of riding the flame outs haven't returned (fingers crossed)  Have you changed where you get your fuel recently?

I haven't gotten fuel from this servo for a while but have purchased from there before without any difference previously and always run 98 ron in it from day 1. I turned the idle up and it did not re occur afterwards but I worry that is masking something else ?I'm not a huge fan of the high idle  but I became a little paranoid as some of these jumps are big ( to me) not something I wanted to get wrong on. I will be going to a wide open faster track this week end which still has a high degree of sandy loam in it and will see if it happens again.Mean while I will order a filter kit and change that when I get it anyway

Thanks for your input