Chinese 450..

The Chinese 450.

I know a few people won’t be keen on this but I thought for those that are I would post up here regarding my new bike;

Here in the UK it’s called a WK 450rx, but the variations of the same bike have been available throughout the world for a few years now-

Argentina (Heikon TT450 and Backfire BXF450),
Australia (Odes MCF450E),
Brazil (Tokens TXR450),
Chile (Takasaki LX450),
China (Asiawing LD450),
Czech Republic (Václav Vizinger VV MX450),
Finland (Menopeli LD450),
France and other border countries (Upower PZF 450),
Germany (Borossi BT 450 LX),
Italy (GioItalia 450 Motard),
Netherlands (Asiawing LX 450X),
Russia (Forsage 450),
South Africa (BigBoy SMR450),
Spain (Impormotor IMR 450R),
Sweden (Monstra 450),
United States (Christini AWD 450, CCW Hooligun 450X)
United Kingdom (WK 450rx, Christini 450)

I was looking to buy a used jap 450 and for the money I was looking to spend I was going to be looking at bikes at least 4-5 years old, for the same money I have this, brand new, from a local dealership and with something not even Honda would offer, a 2 year warranty.

First impressions,

I was actually really impressed overall, I was expecting to see some tat and poor quality areas but to be fair areas are really only items like reflector brackets and final fitting of the graphics, small things like that I can live with.
The tires fitted to the off road wheels are awful looking cheap nasty “kings tires” these have been removed and replaced with some lovely Maxxis, these wheels also came with discs and a rear sprocket, but  I have replaced and upsized the rear sprocket as standard both wheels use the same gearing.
The switchgear is not up to jap standards,

On the plus side the overall build quality looks really good, the welding on the frame looks as good as I’ve ever seen on a jap bike, the suspension is multi way adjustable,
the engine looks great, no traces of sealant splaying out of joins.

My first ride was when I collected it from the dealership, pouring rain, fading light, heavy traffic,
but the bike worked perfectly, never got hot and flustered in the traffic,

The next day I had chance for a little bit of a better ride, and again I have to say it did well, while removing it from storage I noticed the twist grip assembly wasn’t as tight as it should have been, this was nipped up and I ran over the rest of the bike looking for things to tighten but didn’t find anything.
the engine runs well, but was far from aggressive, much more like my old WR426 rather than the CRF450 I had,
oh and the grips are the hardest plasticly rubber available, made from melted down cd cases and frying pan handles I think.
These will be changed as soon as.

That afternoon I got on with the couple of mods I had in mind, first was too shorten the rear number plate mount, on mine this is an aluminum stay that required cutting down, I think this is plastic on the earlier bikes.
My next, and much more important was to change the exhaust, I had been told this was very restrictive and had a cat in the center, I had bought a “Bill’s pipes” exhaust for a 2006 CRF450, with a bit of trimming of the front pipe this fitted a treat, not only has this lost a few kg off the bike and made it a little (lot) more vocal it feels a lot more willing to rev, so much more aggressive, I am still treating it softly as its about 60odd miles old, but feels better already.
It’s mush closer to the feel of the CRF now, with a carb upgrade I suspect it would be pretty much there.

Brief conclusion

It’s a lot better than you might expect, the important bits seem great, “consumable” bits like the grips, tires, graphics and final finish of the plastics show where the corners have been cut.
It’s half the price of a new Honda, but it’s not half the bike.

When i've had chance to get some mud under it's wheels ina couple of weeks I'll report on how it's doing..

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

• Like 1

I keep telling ppl Chinese bikes are not bad anymore but you need to ride one for yourself for a while to know this. Be ware thought rear shocks don't live long if you ride off road hard and front suspension bottoms out a little to easy for my liking. Mind you this was on a similar 250cc off road only package. Glad your enjoying it but I notice you don't have the awd option. I would love to hear a review on the all wheel drive version from someone who isn't biased towards Chinese bikes.

• Like 1

That's kinda what I've been finding, everyone hates the Chinese bikes, but no ones actually ridden one, they are hated because they are unproven and people assume they are rip off designs,

I did I lot of digging about before I bought this (but I do admit it's still a bit if a gamble) looking through actual owners reviews it was the same story, the switchgear isn't great or side stand's too long, silly things like that, (oh and everyone hates the tires) I couldn't find any examples of actual owners having serious problems.

Bottom line is patents expire and the every Jap bike/component producer has factories in china, more than half the components on a. Jap bike will be Chinese, and you don't know what deals where put in place, we had a car company called offering old Opel/Vauxhall/GM "reproductions" as their own, all above board, they actually made the cars for GM in the first place, the deal being after 10 years they could keep the designs and tooling and sell the cars as their own..

Quality control is the key, not the country it's made in.

P.s. posted from my "designed in California-built in China" iPhone... ; )

Can't agree more, i've had a few Chinese bikes and anything Honda-based has been brilliant. 

There's a 450 on ebay for about £2,800 because it's an ex-demo, I'm actually really tempted.

As for the weak points, I actually quite like the idea of saving £2k over a Honda CRF and then being able to spend a little bit on some new grips, switchgear, maybe some Renthal bars and decent graphics. Much more fun 🙂

Can't agree more, i've had a few Chinese bikes and anything Honda-based has been brilliant. 

There's a 450 on ebay for about £2,800 because it's an ex-demo, I'm actually really tempted.

As for the weak points, I actually quite like the idea of saving £2k over a Honda CRF and then being able to spend a little bit on some new grips, switchgear, maybe some Renthal bars and decent graphics. Much more fun 🙂

Just for referance, I paid £3k including the on-the-road costs, add in the tire upgrade on the off road wheels and the exhaust it stands me about £3300 ish.

brand new, zero miles.

A CRF from Derbyshire off-road is just over £6k.

I'd be more concerned about the stuff you don't see...Internal motor components, suspension components, bearings, e/t/c...

I fully agree,

The unknown quailty of things like the bearings and electrical bits are what kept me up at night for a while making my choice.

I don't know how true it is but I've been told two pretty important things, firstly that the piston is the same suppiler as for Honda, second if needed a CRF piston (and other internal engine bits) will fit, I'm not sure how true these two statments are, but as it's under warranty for some time yet it's not too much of a concern just yet,

I might plan a rebuild for a couple of years time once the warrantys expired using Honda/decent aftermarket bits if I can confirm 100% everything is interchangable.

Do Crf plastics fit on there?

I believe so, CRF (pre-injection) parts should all be interchangable, I'm using a CRF exhaust and sprockets, these fitted perfectly, I expect the plastics will as well.

Edited by Brook877

Looks like a great bike, and the mods you've done make it even better. 

Just remember to get that horrible oil out of it as soon as possible (don't even use it as run-in oil)

Cheers,

If I can find an hour I'm going to put the other wheels on this weekend and was thinking of swapping the oil at the same time,

Any recommendations?

Edited by Brook877

Just for referance, I paid £3k including the on-the-road costs, add in the tire upgrade on the off road wheels and the exhaust it stands me about £3300 ish.

brand new, zero miles.

A CRF from Derbyshire off-road is just over £6k.

I fully agree,

The unknown quailty of things like the bearings and electrical bits are what kept me up at night for a while making my choice.

I don't know how true it is but I've been told two pretty important things, firstly that the piston is the same suppiler as for Honda, second if needed a CRF piston (and other internal engine bits) will fit, I'm not sure how true these two statments are, but as it's under warranty for some time yet it's not too much of a concern just yet,

I might plan a rebuild for a couple of years time once the warrantys expired using Honda/decent aftermarket bits if I can confirm 100% everything is interchangable.

I believe so, CRF (pre-injection) parts should all be interchangable, I'm using a CRF exhaust and sprockets, these fitted perfectly, I expect the plastics will as well.

I tore down the top of my cb250 motor to do gaskets and rings and such. The problem was getting proper torque specs for the head and such after and because I made my head gasket getting the thickness was difficult. And I found they over engineer the electrical and its usually a mess. Mine being used off road I eliminated a lot of the electrical to save future headache. Everything is fairly straight forward as far as rebuilding them but there are little frustrating hurdles you will run into. I also found xr parts were closer (to mine anyway) than crf parts but with the motor on a bench most people thought it was a Honda motor.

• 1 month later...

Brook

I am the proud owner of one of these wk450rx and loved it the moment i rode it away , first 250 mile service done and now winter has set in ( i mean it cold)

Did changing the exhaust improve on the in gear acceleration and top speed ?

I am finding starting from cold a big issue , have you had any starting issues and if so how did you solve them

cheers

trevor 

Yes even the forks have the honda wing on them only cost saving thing i see are some switches brackets and the carb

yeah. But those are only minor things. You could say it's a Honda that had a minor defect and was sold under another brand for wayyy cheaper. That's how I'd put it.

• 2 weeks later...

Brook

I am the proud owner of one of these wk450rx and loved it the moment i rode it away , first 250 mile service done and now winter has set in ( i mean it cold)

Did changing the exhaust improve on the in gear acceleration and top speed ?

I am finding starting from cold a big issue , have you had any starting issues and if so how did you solve them

cheers

trevor 

Hi Trevor

Sorry I've been away for a bit,

The exhaust made a massive differance, in my case in might of been magnified by the fact it was still new so I assume the bike would have freed up to some degree on it’s own, but even so it made a big difference.

If you take the original system off you can understand why though, there is a honeycomb “cat” in the centre pipe right after the joint from front pipe to rear section, as soon as you see how restrictive that must be it makes sense an aftermarket (or a Honda crf-r) exhaust would make worthwhile difference.

Sadly I can’t help on any starting issues, I only use the kicker from cold but I’ve never had a problem, full choke and it normally tries and splutters on the first and second kick and catches on the third or the fourth at worst, 20/30 seconds and drop the choke off and it’s ready to go.