Chinese 450..

Thank you so much for sharing!

Not sure why I am no longer getting emails for replies on this topic.

Anyhow, is this actually a CRF 450X or R copy? I want to be very sure so that should I buy any Honda OEM parts I am buying the right one.

X.

Elec start, opening airbox door, lights etc all factory fitted.

Another days riding..

one off and one messy landing =

20150927_112138.jpg

Ripped off and lost rear plate and light snapped holder, annoyingly it's only been back on while I've used the bike to for work and I almost took them off before I set out this morning, suppose that'll teach me for being lazy and leaving the licence plate on.

Actual mechanics are still holding up fine, but in the interests of fairness I'll list the issues I've come across in the last 12 months-

The airbox door is a pretty poor fit, so deep water or jet washing would soak the filter, (I've sealed it up now and I've had no problems since)

Broken "fash" switch, not totally sure it isn't me that's broke that but I'll list it anyway.

Chain slider has worn through VERY quickly.

Loose spokes in both wheels, (tightened up fine tho)

No grease on the linkages or axle bolts.

The captive nut for one of the rad shrouds isn't captive.

And as proven today if you bottom out the rear suspension the wheel will hit the back light unit.

I'll swap to a crf-x style rear fender soon with the built in led light or a much slimmer lamp to save having the same issue again.

Another days riding..

one off and one messy landing =

📎20150927_112138.jpg

Ripped off and lost rear plate and light snapped holder, annoyingly it's only been back on while I've used the bike to for work and I almost took them off before I set out this morning, suppose that'll teach me for being lazy and leaving the licence plate on.

Actual mechanics are still holding up fine, but in the interests of fairness I'll list the issues I've come across in the last 12 months-

The airbox door is a pretty poor fit, so deep water or jet washing would soak the filter, (I've sealed it up now and I've had no problems since)

Broken "fash" switch, not totally sure it isn't me that's broke that but I'll list it anyway.

Chain slider has worn through VERY quickly.

Loose spokes in both wheels, (tightened up fine tho)

No grease on the linkages or axle bolts.

The captive nut for one of the rad shrouds isn't captive.

And as proven today if you bottom out the rear suspension the wheel will hit the back light unit.

I'll swap to a crf-x style rear fender soon with the built in led light or a much slimmer lamp to save having the same issue again.

Please keep the topic going. Especially with mods.

To my understanding, the fender you'll be swapping would be the 08 crfx one? Would the 11 or 13 fit? hmm. I remember reading somewhere it wouldn't - I think.

Please keep the topic going. Especially with mods.

To my understanding, the fender you'll be swapping would be the 08 crfx one? Would the 11 or 13 fit? hmm. I remember reading somewhere it wouldn't - I think.

It's not something I've looked into to be honest, the earlier crf-x should mount straight up, I've seen crf-x's with a much neater set up than what I was using, I'm sure they'll be something aftermarket that'll do the job.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have a 2011 Husqvarna TE449. BMW designed and engineered the bike/motor but Kymco in Taiwan made the motor. No issues. 

Update:

Sold it! Swingarm attaches to frame in two different locations. No parallel bolt running through motor and attaching to frame. Broke one of the bolts attaching it to frame - never once considered jumping bike, only rode single track trails moderately agressively. Since no bolt through motor it produced NASTY vibrations. Fixed swingarm and sold it. Never a motor problem - ever other than being a little tame. Kymco makes a good motor. BMW, on the other hand, makes a shitty dirt bike. ?

Edited by shrubitup

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chinese Enthusiast's ,

I purchased an SSR SR450S here in Arizona from a local dealership. The bike was "On Sale" for a pretty decent price ($3499 U.S.D.), and I thought that the price was worth the risk.

After riding this bike for six months now, I am thoroughly impressed. Yes, some of the parts are definitely of  poor design, but most of those are "consumable" parts.

When they get broken, or fail, just replace with Honda parts. 

I do not plan on racing this machine, but did put in a few laps at a local MX track. The motor pulled me out of corners nicely, and was able to clear some difficult jumps easily. The suspension was adequate in whoops, and landing from jumps. It tracked nice and straight when hard on the gas,and had no head shake what so ever. The brakes work well.

Most of my riding will be thrashing around the desert here in Az. So far this bike has taken me everywhere that I have pointed it, without hesitation. Other than running around with under inflated tires, and getting a flat tire,and that was user error , I have had no issues with this bike.

Be sure to follow my Youtube Channel for updates about my adventures aboard my SSR 450

UCF5MMz5fFfJxP7_c1vEBdmQ

WP_20160521_15_00_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20160304_13_59_15_Pro.jpg

12418024_903473813083168_7797899854142375403_n.jpg

• 2 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:43 AM, N1ka said:

Hi all,

two years later - any new (first hand) input about this bike?

Yes I have one with a few modifications it's a great bike. A carb off an 07 450X jetted properly and a lithium battery it's been very reliable ? :ride:

• Like 1

@jcriswell:

That's a nice looking bike! I've been following this model for some time, and I am surprised how little info one can dig about used ones online...

At the beginning (2012) they had a few problems (red it on a "mychinamoto"), but it looks like they have improved it year by year (red it on chinariders and some other forums), and now, there are just a few minor things that could get improved...

It's a shame, I am under impression that this bike doesn't get as much attention as she deserves...

It is clear that it is not a bike for winning races, although:

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/news/2016/10/25/jeff-willoh-captures-2016-worcs-30-a-class-championship/

more here
http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/news/tag/jeff-willoh/

... but sincerely - how many of us race the bikes? What is the percentage? I think that majority just want the reliable, capable bike with enough power and reasonable service intervals/price, that doesn't cost tons of money...

And it looks that this bike can deliver, just it can't get pass critical number of users, which would share their (positive?) opinions and impressions about the bike, and so start the big wheel turning, getting more and more customers, thus making profit, making more improvements / new models...

It's a shame.

What I would like (as everybody interested in this bike - I guess) to know is the build quality overall - after a few years and 5-10-20 thousand kilometers.

Is the sealing of the engine oil-proof, or is it starting to leak anywhere? Is it burning oil? How much, after what milage?

What is the engine rebuild average time? This is a tricky one, it depends on riding style and some other factors, but - an info is better then no info ?

Is the cooling good enough - the first known user from link above had some problems back in 2012 - did they fix it?

What is the quality of other parts - plastic for example? does it become brittle and porous over time?

Any problem with wiring and electricity?

And for the record - I don't work for SSR motors. I don't even live in USA, and I can't get the SSR products here... Although - I wish I could get your magic prices you are mentioning here - in my country the sibling sister (Asiawing LX450E) is significantly pricier...

33 minutes ago, N1ka said:

@jcriswell:

That's a nice looking bike! I've been following this model for some time, and I am surprised how little info one can dig about used ones online...

At the beginning (2012) they had a few problems (red it on a "mychinamoto"), but it looks like they have improved it year by year (red it on chinariders and some other forums), and now, there are just a few minor things that could get improved...

It's a shame, I am under impression that this bike doesn't get as much attention as she deserves...

It is clear that it is not a bike for winning races, although:

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/news/2016/10/25/jeff-willoh-captures-2016-worcs-30-a-class-championship/

more here
http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/news/tag/jeff-willoh/

... but sincerely - how many of us race the bikes? What is the percentage? I think that majority just want the reliable, capable bike with enough power and reasonable service intervals/price, that doesn't cost tons of money...

And it looks that this bike can deliver, just it can't get pass critical number of users, which would share their (positive?) opinions and impressions about the bike, and so start the big wheel turning, getting more and more customers, thus making profit, making more improvements / new models...

It's a shame.

What I would like (as everybody interested in this bike - I guess) to know is the build quality overall - after a few years and 5-10-20 thousand kilometers.

Is the sealing of the engine oil-proof, or is it starting to leak anywhere? Is it burning oil? How much, after what milage?

What is the engine rebuild average time? This is a tricky one, it depends on riding style and some other factors, but - an info is better then no info :)

Is the cooling good enough - the first known user from link above had some problems back in 2012 - did they fix it?

What is the quality of other parts - plastic for example? does it become brittle and porous over time?

Any problem with wiring and electricity?

And for the record - I don't work for SSR motors. I don't even live in USA, and I can't get the SSR products here... Although - I wish I could get your magic prices you are mentioning here - in my country the sibling sister (Asiawing LX450E) is significantly pricier...

That's where I got all my information from is the Asianwing website. The good thing about this bike is it's identical to the Honda 450X so all the parts are Available.

I suppose that there are some differences for specific market, but as I red, the suspension is different - LX450 (as well as NC250, which shares the chassis with LX450)  has FastAce USD fork, as well as the rear shock. While they might not be (and I am quite certain they are not) quite as good as the Honda original suspension, they do the work well - the info I found is that they come a bit soft from factory, but being fully adjustable - although I found this info from SSR source :"The SR450S features a 47mm fork that is compression and rebound damping adjustable, but its rear shock only offers preload and rebound damping adjustability, which is less desirable in a competition-oriented machine but more than acceptable for play bike duty."

However - as I can see, this article is from December, 2017

https://www.dirtbikes.com/chinese-dirt-bike/

and I am quite sure that Asiawing,  both LX450 and NC250, were sold with Delphy fuel injection here last year also, so maybe there are a few differences more...

I red the mentioned article and I got under impression that is an objective one, with quite an interesting conclusion:

"... So, should you buy a Chinese dirt bike? It depends on what your needs are. If you want to get into racing, you’re still probably better off finding an older, well-maintained Japanese or European bike...

If, however, you are a trail rider on a tight budget, and you won’t settle for anything less than a new vehicle in your garage, a Chinese dirt bike of the build quality currently offered by SSR Motorsports might be worth investigating.

Consider yourself a pioneer of sorts. Maybe you’ll even start a trend!"

Edited by N1ka
  • Like 1