Why a 2-stroke?

Seems like an obvious question and probably will be to most of you. I don't want to open a negative approach to 4's, but just to understand why you ride a 2-stroke.

Positives

• Braaaap factor, because they kiss ass
  • Easier to maintain/service, easier to work on
  • More cost effective/cheaper to maintain
  • On demand power
  • Lighter/Maneuverability (less rotating mass)
  • Smell of pre-mix

And the negatives

• Have to pre-mix
  • Burns fuel faster
  • Engine braking
  • Less torque (comparitive)
  • You will have to do most the work on your bike (since you'll feel like a retard if you don't)

What are your experiences..?

Edited to add the great feedback

Edited by TukTuk
  • Like 1

I loved my crf450x....then I had to rebuild the top end. That was expensive. Too expensive so I traded it for a yz250. I miss the sound, torque and engine braking, but not the weight, handling, and crippling expense of maintenance.

Edited by Behubert
  • Like 4

Until 2013 I'd ridden my XR400 for 13 years. Great bike, but just getting too heavy to continue to throw around on the kind of trails I still want to enjoy. I'm 57 and thought a lighter 2 stroke would allow me that, so bought a new KTM300. Rode it for a year then put a Rekluse in it. Its a fantastic old man bike. I can ride it lazily or wick it up.

I've never owned a stroker because of my upbringing, and the expense.  Also I love technical riding, and the 4t heats up too much riding super slow terrain. 

Plus 2 strokes handle better, though the 4t counterparts are becoming better and better.  You almost don't feel the extra weight on a four stroke until you have to pick the bike off the ground (according to a new four stroke convert friend of mine). 

Pros:

Easier to work on

Cheaper to work on

Lighter

Pre Mix smells good

Handling (for the most part.....depends who you talk to)

Better smiles : miles ratio  ?

Cons:

I guess you gotta mix gas  :excuseme:

You will have to do most the work on your bike (since you'll feel like a retard if you don't)

Handling (depends who you talk to)

Seems like an obvious question and probably will be to most of you. I don't want to open a negative approach to 4's, but just to understand why you ride a 2-stroke.

Positives

• Easier to maintain/service
  • More cost effective to maintain
  • On demand power
  • Lighter/Maneuverability

And the negatives

• Have to pre-mix
  • Burns fuel faster
What are your experiences..?
because they kick ass

Let's compare my 2 bikes… KTM 144SX and 250SXF 

144SX: 

- Ultralight weight (197lb dry) 

- Easy to maintain/service 

- Shorter intervals between service (50 - 60hrs max vs 100hrs on 250SXF)

- Immediate power delivery

- 1 power pulse per cycle = less grippy rear traction 

- Less reciprocating mass = more twitchy to ride 

- No engine breaking = entering corners faster is much easier 

- Cheaper to purchase new or used 

- Cheaper parts all the way around 

- More technical data available for tuning/easier to tune 

EFI 250SXF: 

- Heavier (232lb dry) 

- Extremely difficult to maintain for the average person 

- Longer service intervals (100hrs vs 50 - 60 on the 144SX) 

- Slower power delivery

- 1 power pulse per 2 cycles = more grippy rear traction 

- More reciprocating mass = more stable to ride 

- Substantial engine breaking = much more difficult to maintain speed entering corners 

- More expensive to buy new or used

- More expensive parts all the way around

- Less technical data available for tuning/very difficult to almost impossible to tune properly without specialized tools 

Really truthfully, there are many pro's to modern EFI 4 strokes: 

- Better rear grip

- More reciprocating mass = more stable to ride 

- More weight over the front end = better front traction 

- Better, more accurate fueling and substantially smoother power delivery 

Positives

• Braaaap factor, because they kiss ass (they kiss ass?)
  • Easier to maintain/service, easier to work on (definitely)
  • More cost effective/cheaper to maintain (definitely)
  • On demand power (Wouldnt 4 strokes be considered more on demand power?)
  • Lighter/Maneuverability (less rotating mass) (Sure)
  • Smell of pre-mix (If youre into breathing dead organisms [lol])

And the negatives

• Have to pre-mix (Takes 2 minutes)
  • Burns fuel faster (Bigger tank)
  • Engine braking (Can be a good or bad thing)
  • Less torque (comparitive)
  • You will have to do most the work on your bike (since you'll feel like a retard if you don't)

I'm suffering the same dilemma. I like the 4 stroke power delivery and stability. I had a few 125s when I was younger. Although I haven't had any serious problems with my 250f, I feel like it's only a matter of time until these electronics fail. So I would like the simplicity of a 2 stroke and the cost savings. However, I would change oil just as often in either bike, if I do one piston a year in my 4 stroke and two in a 2 stroke, am I really saving money? I own a ktm haven't had to do valves yet. Plus I've never been really good at tuning carbs and I know nothing about the power valve. I come to this forum once in awhile to see what kind of problems exist with the 250sx's and how to fix or tune them.

I want a "Do All" bike because I mostly ride moto but I like trail riding and hare scrambles also. The 250sx and 350sxf are my choices. If I could find a good deal on say a 2012 250sx that needs a rebuild I'd snatch it up for the learning experience and to test the waters. But I can't really afford to sink 3k into a bike I might not like.

For me 2t are less finicky. Compression, air, fuel, and spark. 4 stroke. valves, compression, air, fuel, spark, accelerator pump. Efi eliminates some of that. Leak down tests. I'm sure there are some other pros and cons but 2 strokes just have fewer things to worry about/adjust.

Torque wise, I think they have plenty and then some more. I can go anywhere and even faster on a 2stroke that a four stroke.

One of the things I look for on bikes are weight. The less weight you have the better (to a extent) since they are so flickable. There were a few times that I lost it but corrected my self on a 2t. I would not be able to correct it on a 4t because of the weight and momentum