Polished Ti?

Anyone ever polished Ti? My Yosh pipe is looking rough and I was thinking about polishing it... anyone have any tips before I give it a shot? Someone has had to do it before. I've polished alum. and SS before but never Ti and seeing how it is a much harder metal, its got me a little nervous. Didn't know if there was anything I had to watch out for or if I could just go at it. 

Thanks.

Anyone ever polished Ti? My Yosh pipe is looking rough and I was thinking about polishing it... anyone have any tips before I give it a shot? Someone has had to do it before. I've polished alum. and SS before but never Ti and seeing how it is a much harder metal, its got me a little nervous. Didn't know if there was anything I had to watch out for or if I could just go at it. 

Thanks.

Try polishing in the same way  you did the others metals you have done. But in a spot that doesn't show like top side or the area that is hid by number plate. Roughted up areas may require some sanding with the higher number wet/metal sand paper start out if bad with 400 and a sanding block and work up x200 grit up to 1200 our ultra

Cool thanks... I was just worried about the Ti being too hard to get smooth easily. I typically use a dremel with polishing compound but I think that it may be overkill on the thin Ti. 

Do you have any suggestions on compounds to use? Should I even use a compound? I have not done a ton of polishing except small stuff like spokes and a few rims. I cannot recall ever seeing a compound advertised for Ti. Most I have seen are for Alum/Mag, or does it not matter and those will work just fine? 

Thinking something along the lines of this, just don't wanna get in over my head and make it look worse than it does... my pipe has never been this clean lol. May not even be possible, IDK. 

behind-bars-james-stewartrsquos-yoshimur

Edited by BDubb106

The compound is used just for a lubricant for the high rpm of the source your using to polish with. Most paint or metal compounds will work sufficiently.... some betters than others along with the surface area being smooth or sanded smooth. The smoother the surface the more brilliant the mirror effect will be. Maybe try some never dull and get it moist and use your dremel on it

If your talking header pipe I would first clean it with some mag wheel cleaner and scotch bright. Then go from there with other materials to get the finish you desire. The mag wheel cleaner also work amazing on white mx boots

Edited by racertodd
  • Like 1

This is where I am at right now, and yes I am talking about the header. No polishing done, just did a lot of sanding until I was happy with the shine and couldn't feel my arms/ hands anymore lol. I can see my reflection in it but I plan on hitting it with some polish (just don't know what to use) and a polishing wheel on my dremel or drill to make it really shine. 

Sorry about the crappy pic and shitty lighting but you get the idea.

Before sanding, you can see how dingy it was. Almost a grayish brown instead of silver.

1622013_10152211671362559_1655646883_n_z

After sanding

C79C49CD-C1E5-42D4-8995-333E0052EA25_zps

Now it's time to pull it back off and polish the crap out of it. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

Yea, I will. Should have it done today. Surprised how well it is turning out. Polished Ti is not what I expected. Should look good once it gets some color to it though. 

How are you guys keeping your pipes clean? Mine was all burnt up. It looked horrible and will just revert back if there is no easy way of keeping it clean. 

Yea, I will. Should have it done today. Surprised how well it is turning out. Polished Ti is not what I expected. Should look good once it gets some color to it though. 

How are you guys keeping your pipes clean? Mine was all burnt up. It looked horrible and will just revert back if there is no easy way of keeping it clean. 

I don't really go for the shiny polished look because it requires more effort than I want to do..... But for me to keep it clean I use a scotch brite pad on it when I wash the bike and periodically I will take the header off and use alum mag wheel cleaner on it with a scotch brite. It leaves it with a brushed alum appearance.

Edited by racertodd

curious to see how this came out.. never thought of polishing a header. always wondered how the factory guys got that look.

Forgot to take pics of it but I'll get some tonight. Looks really good. I gave up on getting it to a mirror polish because it just isn't worth the time it would take to get it to that level. Ti is a hard metal and doesn't polish very easily. Heck, it didn't even sand easy. Still 100% happy with it. Should look really good after it gets some good heat to it as long as I can keep it clean! 

Forgot to take pics of it but I'll get some tonight. Looks really good. I gave up on getting it to a mirror polish because it just isn't worth the time it would take to get it to that level. Ti is a hard metal and doesn't polish very easily. Heck, it didn't even sand easy. Still 100% happy with it. Should look really good after it gets some good heat to it as long as I can keep it clean! 

The anticipation is killing me Brian.... Cant wait to see how great it looks

• Like 1

I got pics tonight and even went through the effort to use my good camera and even had to charge it but can't find my upload cable. I have another one in the shop so I'll upload first thing in the morning. I even waited to start the bike so I could get a few pics of the transformation as it changes colors. I think it will be pretty dramatic once the change starts judging by what I have seen. Riding Saturday depending on how my mouth feels (had surgery Wed.) so I should have some decent updated pics once I get the bike to a good temp. and am able to keep it there for a while.

I cleaned up the mid pipe a little today too during my down time at work. I couldn't get the golden color out of it like I did with the header. Contemplating cleaning up the muffler as well over the winter when I have a little time. 

Edited by BDubb106

Here you go... I need to get some better pics. I'll snap a few the next time I can get the bike out of the garage. Obviously it looks much better in person. The flash made it look like crap but you can get a very good idea of how well it cleaned up by the area closest to the mid pipe joint in the 2nd to last pic. The second shot gives a good idea of how evenly the pipe actually cleaned up. The entire pipe looks like that in good lighting. I need to figure out how to get rid of a few of the deeper scuffed areas. I am very happy with it overall.  

DSCN1003_zpsafa95b8b.jpg

C79C49CD-C1E5-42D4-8995-333E0052EA25_zps

DSCN1004_zps352ca430.jpg

DSCN1005_zps6e260819.jpg

Esp when comparing it to the before... same pic as I posted before.

1622013_10152211671362559_1655646883_n_z

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2