New cam for crf250x

Hi I needed to buy a new cam for my crf250x (explained why in the previous seized motor post) and have read about installing a 2008 r cam. What I don't know is should I stay with stock for reliability get the 2008 cam or buy a hot cam stage 1. What I am looking to do if I change the performance at all is to get more bottom to mid range torque. I heard the hotcam will give bottom to mid and the 2008 R cam will give all around performance. Any thoughts

Cam differences can be researched via part fiche for the various years of R and X models.

What cam to use and other appropriate mods depend on your riding enviroment, your skill level, and your expectations.

I ride mostly technical single track and so want good bottom end response rather than top end.  But I like how the CCC mods help throttle response. More info in the CRF250X forum. 

I have installed the 08 R cam on my '06 250x and posted about it here on TT. I'm a beginner to intermediate rider so can't rely too much on my experience but I do notice a slight loss in bottom-end compared to the stock California X cam. But, I do like the overall improvement offered by the 08r cam. I probably need better clutch work in the slow technical and up-hill stuff. I am curious how the stage-1 would work as I generally lug and shift a tad short.

I have installed the 08 R cam on my '06 250x and posted about it here on TT. I'm a beginner to intermediate rider so can't rely too much on my experience but I do notice a slight loss in bottom-end compared to the stock California X cam. But, I do like the overall improvement offered by the 08r cam. I probably need better clutch work in the slow technical and up-hill stuff. I am curious how the stage-1 would work as I generally lug and shift a tad short.

I ride almost exclusively technical single track, and I'm an old XR rider, so I'm use to and need good bottom end.  I'm geared slightly higher than stock because of the 4.00R18 rear tire, and its added traction can lug the engine at slow speeds.  So bottom end is importantant for me and I've resisted the urge for a differerent cam.

I did look at the specs on Rick Ramseys web site and in general will commment that increase lift seems to help everywhere while increase overlap and later intke closing seems to hurt bottom end. Which seems to be what the R cams are all about in their goal of increasing power.  The fact that Honda is changing R cams every few years but not X cams say a lot about the focus of R cams.  So if you look at the lift, overlap and duration values of the R cams you could rank them by "stages" and choose accordingly. 

One other idea for your slow stuff when most of your riding is faster is to consider a Rekluse. My experience is to use a Core EXP or Z Start Pro because they have a greater range of tuning than an EXP.  I tried the EXP3 and while it would probably be good for competition its engagement speed was too high and the range too long for my riding enviroment and style.