Giving up on the battle with linkage bearings

I came into the battle saying "I can do this, nothing to challenging, the videos make it look easy", and now I'm backing out.

I still think I would've been able to do it if (1). I didn't have a siezed bolt which doesn't even budge. (2). I payed attention and worked on the bearings before they got this bad. (Also a press would be nice)

So tomorrow I'm just going to drop the linkage at the shop, and hope to get it back by the weekend.

Results:

Linkage 1-0

Me 0-1

And 1 broken/bent bench vice.

Here you can see the siezed bolt, and the place which I did get everything removed.

1414458051030.jpg

Here is the no longer working vice.. Guess it's time for a trip to harbor freight.

1414458114022.jpg

FYI: yes I'm being sarcastic, but I did decide to leave it to a shop.

Edited by CR250_182

I hate seeing threads like this, all I can ever think Is "man this kids spending his hard earned money on fixing the stuff he obviously doesn't have the tools/knowledge for, if it were in my garage it'd be out in 15"

30+ years of being a mechanic is sprawled all over my dads half of the garage, and 35+ more so at my uncles garage I have access to.

I could have that thing out in like 15 minutes?

• Like 1

I hate seeing threads like this, all I can ever think Is "man this kids spending his hard earned money on fixing the stuff he obviously doesn't have the tools/knowledge for, if it were in my garage it'd be out in 15"

30+ years of being a mechanic is sprawled all over my dads half of the garage, and 35+ more so at my uncles garage I have access to.

I could have that thing out in like 15 minutes?

I know how. I've watched plenty and plenty of vids, plus read many threads on it... I just can't get that bolt out, and like you said, I don't have the right stuff... Oh well

I know how. I've watched plenty and plenty of vids, plus read many threads on it... I just can't get that bolt out, and like you said, I don't have the right stuff... Oh well

I never said you didn't know how, just I have more stuff than you ?

I'm joking, but yes the experience (I don't have 30+ years, but a lot with stick bolts?)and the equipment I do have, and wish I could just pop them bearings/bolt out for you. As opposed to you paying a shop

I never said you didn't know how, just I have more stuff than you ?

I'm joking, but yes the experience (I don't have 30+ years, but a lot with stick bolts?)and the equipment I do have, and wish I could just pop them bearings/bolt out for you. As opposed to you paying a shop

Haha yeah I gotcha now! I think I misunderstood your last post.

Wish I had a bit of machinist experience, I think it'd be good to know

• Like 1

Haha yeah I gotcha now! I think I misunderstood your last post.

Wish I had a bit of machinist experience, I think it'd be good to know

Not so much machinist experience, just coming a gross this stuff a lot. So experience with stuck bolts, then the extensive equipment my dad and his closes brother collect in their pursuit to never outsource on a project

Basic things, drill presses, lathes, welders, oxy torches, much larger vises than that, the standalone hydraulic presses.

Things that could fix your issue easily

• Like 1

I've been a self employed auto tech for nearly 30 years; but there are some jobs on my bikes I just detest:  flat tires, linkage and swing arm bearings.

I can do an oil change on a customers car in 10 minutes, and make enough to pay our local independent Mx shop to do it. 

I'm probably burnt out. lol

I just want to ride, that's all. :ride:

• Like 4

Not so much machinist experience, just coming a gross this stuff a lot. So experience with stuck bolts, then the extensive equipment my dad and his closes brother collect in their pursuit to never outsource on a project

Basic things, drill presses, lathes, welders, oxy torches, much larger vises than that, the standalone hydraulic presses.

Things that could fix your issue easily

I hear you,

I misread "mechanic" for "machinist", sorry. Haha

I think it'd be cool to have all the necessary stuff to do bike, or even car stuff. Someday I'll get there lol

• Like 1

I've been a self employed auto tech for nearly 30 years; but there are some jobs on my bikes I just detest: flat tires, linkage and swing arm bearings.

I can do an oil change on a customers car in 10 minutes, and make enough to pay our local independent Mx shop to do it.

I'm probably burnt out. lol

I just want to ride, that's all. :ride:

I've never found anything on a dirtbike i detest.

What do I detest?

On cars. Drum brakes, forever and always will beyond hate drum brakes.

• Like 3

I dropped off my linkage to have the bearings pulled as well as have my lower steering neck bearing pressed on. Don't feel bad...both of those kicked the shops azz too. They went to town with something and tore up my linkage arm pretty bad in the process. And the steering stem they tried to press the smaller upper bearing on where the lower larger I.D. bearing is supposed to go, destroying it and my stem in the process. They tried to tell me that the bearing for the upper came like that after it was all bent and worthless (all balls)...they ended up giving me a new upper bearing for my neck since they destroyed my brand new one beating on it and bending the cage to sheit. They tried to tell me that the bearing was still fine.....even when the cage was all bent up. Guess they didn't realize that just because I dont have the press which makes that job a piece of cake.....I wasn't buying that bs.

Even the pro's struggle....lol...that's what I got for thinking they had the right tools for that kinda job...or the right people.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 2

Makes me long for the good old days where linkages had grease zerks and as long as you gave them a shot of grease after every washing, the bearings never needed further attention. Oh, wait, I ride vintage bikes and all the linkages have grease zerks!

Yep, a 1984 XR250R that still has the original bearings in the linkage, matter of fact, I’ve never had the shock, linkage, or swing arm off the bike. Just give each zerk a pump of grease now and then, good to go.

I even have a 1974 XL350 that has the original bronze bushings in the swing arm. A shot of grease a couple times a year, never a problem.

Why don’t manufacturers put zerks on pivot points like they used to?

• Like 3

Makes me long for the good old days where linkages had grease zerks and as long as you gave them a shot of grease after every washing, the bearings never needed further attention. Oh, wait, I ride vintage bikes and all the linkages have grease zerks!

Yep, a 1984 XR250R that still has the original bearings in the linkage, matter of fact, I’ve never had the shock, linkage, or swing arm off the bike. Just give each zerk a pump of grease now and then, good to go.

I even have a 1974 XL350 that has the original bronze bushings in the swing arm. A shot of grease a couple times a year, never a problem.

Because, then you wont buy new parts silly. Lol...jk

• Like 3

^^^

This

• Like 1

what are linkage bearings? LOL    never touched mine before, and now that i think of it, its the first time i have even thought of my linkage to be honest.... guess i know now to have a shop do it haha, im in the same boat as you "lack of equipment". probably should check my bearings now...

edit- actually i think my '94 xr600 has grease zerks... so ha! ?

Edited by 600thumper