13 engine swap

long time follower, first time poster.

I have an unique opportunity or horrible money pit and need some solid advice from the CRF experts.

There is a 2013 complete (minus engine) CRF 450 rolling chassis that I might be able to get my hands on for not a lot of cash.  I personally have a 2008 CRF 450 (back up bike) with very low hours and am in need of a project.  Is it possible to swap the 08 motor into the 13 frame?  I realize that mounts may need to be fabricated but I am asking about the more subtle issues, swing arm, chain alignment and such.  My friend says he doesn't even think that size of the 08 motor will fit in the redesigned smaller 13 frame.

I don't need the negatives as to why I would do that to the 08,  I know the 08 is a great bike I've owned 3 of them.  that is not what this post is for.  I really want to know if its possible without major frame changes to the 13 frame and in the end if the juice is worth the squeeze. 

thanks

The only way to know is to have both in the shop together. And you'd have to have the necessary fabrication skills for whatever need fabbing.

I don't think chain alignment or motor mounts would be too big a deal,  Anything can be done if you have metal working skills.

Knowing the 13 like I do, I think a major problem area might be the carb and air box, since the 13 frame is designed with only enough space for a throttle body, not a carb. Its tight in there. I don't know much about the carb'd bikes so take that for what its worth. 

Then think of what the end result will be if it ever gets completed. A hybird bike not worth anywhere near the cost of the parts.

I just scrapped 02 and 09 lower end case sets. They were useless, hanging around too long, and in the way. But could have been useful as mock ups.

If you can get the 13 roller at a decent price I'd still go for it. Especially if its complete minus the engine, and still got the electronics.

Not sure what you mean....

What I meant is that the older motor's countershaft sprocket is out further then a 2013 countershaft sprocket... And if you space the motor for the chain to line up the motor will be over to the one side too much. You cannot use a older wheel on it because the chain slider and guide would not line up and would wear out...

Not sure what you mean....

What I meant is that the older motor's countershaft sprocket is out further then a 2013 countershaft sprocket... And if you space the motor for the chain to line up the motor will be over to the one side too much. You cannot use a older wheel on it because the chain slider and guide would not line up and would wear out...

You're right! Never thought about the chain guide.