Potential Swingarm Damage when using 14tooth front sprocket

Hello Fellow DRZ Riders,

I've done my due diligence, and cannot find any concrete evidence that a 14 tooth front sprocket and 44 tooth rear sprocket will cause damage to the  swing arm.  My question is; has anyone had any problems with this set up, or have had experienced any damage?  Thanks for your advice and sharing your story! 

Hello Fellow DRZ Riders,

I've done my due diligence, and cannot find any concrete evidence that a 14 tooth front sprocket and 44 tooth rear sprocket will cause damage to the  swing arm.  My question is; has anyone had any problems with this set up, or have had experienced any damage?  Thanks for your advice and sharing your story! 

I'm pretty sure it's a 16t sprocket that requires modification to the swingarm guide. I don't think a 14t has any issues. My bike had a 14t sprocket in the front when I purchased it (used) and it was fine. Hopefully someone else can chime in that can give you a definite answer. 

Edited by bneikam25

A 14 tooth will work fine. E models come standard with 14/47 combo. The 16 requires some material removal of the chain retainer. It will hit the plastic chain guide but the sprocket will easily chew into it to make its own clearance. A 13 tooth is small and causes fast wear of guides and will cut the swingarm once chewed through the plastic. Best to make rear sprocket changes for power or speed.

Mine wore underneath from the chain rubbing along it more than usual probably because of the narrow angle of the chain with a smaller sprocket at each end than its designed for coz drz E has a 47 rear so that would compensate for the 14 front by making gap bigger between top and bottom of chain than a 41 rear where the chain would sit a lot closer to the swing arm, if u get what I mean

Originally;

Sm model: 15-41

S model   : 15-44

E model   : 14-47

So 14 tooth is ok but depends on rear. I am not sure 44 rear is small enough to wear chain guide and swingarm...

Edited by Syanur