Does this sound like a good deal?

It sounds a little high to me...but what are other similar machines selling for in your area?  The lack of having some of the stock parts would be a sticking point for me, in that I feel it SHOULD reduce the asking price. 

I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles in my day, and typically I know my bottom dollar price, and will initially ask about 20% more.  Then kind of see what sort of offers come, etc.  If there is high traffic and a lot of interest, I'll not budge from the asking price much.  And the opposite is true, too.

No doubt the bike in question is in great shape, low miles, etc.  But why two owners in two years?

It sounds a little high to me...but what are other similar machines selling for in your area? The lack of having some of the stock parts would be a sticking point for me, in that I feel it SHOULD reduce the asking price.

I've bought and sold a lot of vehicles in my day, and typically I know my bottom dollar price, and will initially ask about 20% more. Then kind of see what sort of offers come, etc. If there is high traffic and a lot of interest, I'll not budge from the asking price much. And the opposite is true, too.

No doubt the bike in question is in great shape, low miles, etc. But why two owners in two years?

I agree 100%. To the point that I have decided to hold off. It's about to be winter time and I'm not in a rush. It is a beautiful bike though. It really caught my interest. Oh well I'll keep looking.

Or wait a few weeks and offer what you think you'd like to pay. Worse he can do is say no.

I paid 4300 for my 2008 WRR in 2009, with 160 miles on it. The bike was part  of a package deal at an estate sale, and the guy I bought it from don't want it, but did want the other bike in the package. So he bought the package, and sold me the WRR. Best 4300 bucks I've spent in a very long time. I wasn't willing to go the full amount for a new one then, and am not willing to now. But if it is in nice shape, and you can afford it, do whatever you need to do. As the X is obviously more street oriented, maybe you want to spend the same and get a new R3. Or a FZ07 for a bit more. 

I like My WRR very much, but I use it almost exclusively as an off road bike. If I were looking for an actual road bike, I'd probably get something different. Like that R3 that I mentioned, or the new FJ09. Every time I switch off between my two current bikes, the WRR feels super light and nimble, but the XTZ feels like a land yacht. The WRR is mostly reserved for off road, where it is ideal if you need maintenance free street legal dirt capability. For any distance at all, the XTZ is sop superior there is n comparison. I really need something truly in between.