09 450r (EFI) No Spark

Jumped on my bike to start it after a valve adjustment and it wouldn't start, not even a cough. pulled the plug and it looked a little black so I got a new one and still no spark. I unplugged the kill switch to check for maybe a short, still nothing. checked out the plug wire and plug boot and checked all connectors to sensors and things and cant seem to diagnose the problem. the manual says it could be a number things so with EFI it could be anything. Any suggestions on how to go about checking certain things or ideas of what the problem may be???

Anything helps.

Thanks, Preston

Did you remove the coil to get the valve cover off? If you did are the coil wires connected correctly. and what about the green ground wire?

Im pretty sure you could apply batter voltage at the condenser and as you make the connection you should see a spark jump at the plug.

You wan to have the plug grounded in a spot you can see the electrode as you make the connection.

This will test the entire electrical system with the exception of the condenser and stator. And help narrow down which direction to chase the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up unplugging all the connectors to all the electrical components and spraying some WD-40 in there and blowing it out with some compressed air. I did one at a time and tested for spark. After getting to the fuel pump connector I finally got some spark. I proceeded to clean out all other connectors anyway and put everything back together and it fired up like a champ. I guess I had just got some water or dirt in there and it wasn't getting a good enough connection to signal the spark. its been a couple weeks and have had no more problems.

WD40 may chase water and push out debris but it is not healthy for electrical connections.  Use CRC QD Electric cleaner and dielectric grease to keep all electric connections clean and water resistant.📎qd.png

Need to be kinda careful with some of those contact cleaners. Some of them can melt the connectors

Exactly.  WD40 is not for electrical connectors and most contact cleaners will melt them.  The CRC QD Electronic product is made specifically for cleaning the plastic and electrical contacts within them.  Never use brake cleaner or any cleaners that leave residue.  I use the QD Electronic cleaner on all expensive electronic connectors and swear by it. I even use it on brake parts after using brake cleaner because regular break cleaner leaves a residue and the QD will remove it and evaporate instantly. Great stuff available at most parts places.  Costs a buck or two more a can than regular contact cleaner.  Avoid spraying it on bare skin as with all chemicals.

Good luck.

Ok here u go master dirt bike magicians, here is on to figure. Still no Spark? The #'s matched for 2010 crf250 and 450 for stator,right! Took stator from 250 put into 450. Nothing!! Swapped out coil,nothing!! WD40 connections blowed with air. What NOTHING!! Help.