Rear Racks

What's happening guys/gals? I'd like to introduce you to Xena my 2013 DRZ400S. The rear rack you see mounted is from Immixracing and is linked here - http://www.immixracing.com/suzuki-drz400s-sm-cargo-rack-fits-klx400sr.html

The problem that I'm having is that this rack sucks. The picture below was taken last Sunday while the wife and I were on a 130mi ride on easy dirt road (she is a new rider and is learning) and somehow I managed to completely break the rack in half. The pipe that connects to the seat  broke clean through about 3 inches from where the 1gal (very small very light) RotoPax is mounted. This isn't the first issue I've had with this rack. The first time the entire rack rattled off of the bike going up Corona Pass here in CO. I had to go out and buy new hardware and locktite the crap out of it. This was it's last and final test. It's junk, I wasted my money and now I want something that works and works well. I need a rack that can put up with gnarly trail riding conditions. I live in the Rocky Mountains and they are very rocky. Anyone know of a decent rack that can take a punishment? (jokes about wives not nessasry haha). Thanks!

-CDS

https://www.youtube.com/user/coloradodualsport

10310959_10154830799765425_4038880484067

What's happening guys/gals? I'd like to introduce you to Xena my 2013 DRZ400S. The rear rack you see mounted is from Immixracing and is linked here - http://www.immixracing.com/suzuki-drz400s-sm-cargo-rack-fits-klx400sr.html

The problem that I'm having is that this rack sucks. The picture below was taken last Sunday while the wife and I were on a 130mi ride on easy dirt road (she is a new rider and is learning) and somehow I managed to completely break the rack in half. The pipe that connects to the seat  broke clean through about 3 inches from where the 1gal (very small very light) RotoPax is mounted. This isn't the first issue I've had with this rack. The first time the entire rack rattled off of the bike going up Corona Pass here in CO. I had to go out and buy new hardware and locktite the crap out of it. This was it's last and final test. It's junk, I wasted my money and now I want something that works and works well. I need a rack that can put up with gnarly trail riding conditions. I live in the Rocky Mountains and they are very rocky. Anyone know of a decent rack that can take a punishment? (jokes about wives not nessasry haha). Thanks!

-CDS

Does not surprise me stamped sheet metal probably started with a crack at one of the stamped cut inside nooks or corners

What can a harbor freight kinker/ tube bender ( 1/2 in) ,a flux core welder, some 1/4 scrap rod clipped from an abandoned shopping cart, half inch tube, scrap hot rolled bar stock, a spare tab off a Baja bug and a 6 pack of some strong beer get u? Satisfaction ! 16k miles and 50 + dumps/ crashes of it!.

1414556191506.jpg

• Like 1

-CDS

every drz i've seen with a rear rack broke the subframe at the seat mount points, or the lowers where the sub mounts to the frame. 

softbags take a hit, and the vibrations a lot better. might be better to use a bladder instead of a hard canister ? 

Pro Moto Billet makes the most sturdy and lightweight rack in my opinion. Looks great too! I've had a chainsaw mounted to mine with no issues. No loose bolts. No cracks or vibration issues. I know several people who have this rack as well and have had it for years with no subframe problems at all.

http://www.promotobillet.com/i-13328251-drz400s-2000-2014-rack-silver-street.html

After looking at this thread a bit more - it appears I have the same rack as ColoradoDualSport.  My sides racks are PMR, but the top appears to be the immix one.  I'm a bit concerned now, as I was planning to mount a 1 gallon rotopax there.  I wasn't exactly happy about how that one looks anyways, so I think I might take the time and build my own... I mean, why have a lathe, MIG, and TIG in the shop unless you want to make your own parts!

And if the Invisible Milk Crates are ever back in stock from Aerostich, I can really show off my rack without sacrificing hauling capability!

A fellow member shipped me his broken rear rack that had been welded once on one side; it broke again on the other. I don't know why they don't weld from the bottom.. but I did. I welded all 8 connection points so at least the steel is stronger at the stress point. They will still fail if you exceed the thin metal load limit, which isn't hard if you have an off. I'll be making my own soon enough too, as I especially hate how hard it is to get around the seat mount points and the long fasteners that you need to use to attach it.

A fellow member shipped me his broken rear rack that had been welded once on one side; it broke again on the other. I don't know why they don't weld from the bottom.. but I did. I welded all 8 connection points so at least the steel is stronger at the stress point. They will still fail if you exceed the thin metal load limit, which isn't hard if you have an off. I'll be making my own soon enough too, as I especially hate how hard it is to get around the seat mount points and the long fasteners that you need to use to attach it.

I've always been a fan of "the more mount points, the better" - so I really don't care for the immix design.  I think I'm going to design something similar to the Scaggs Moto Design racks that use 4 mounting points on the fender, in addition to the 2 on the seat.  There's also the option of wrapping around the fender and going under to a peg mount.  The other big upgrade is to use more tubing and less flat steel, unless it's really thick.

I might just cut up the immix rack so that I don't need to make new counter-bored bungs for the seat bolt mounting point, and fabricate the rest.  It would be nice to have a clean mount for a tool/document tube, and the ability to change out fuel or a top case as needed.  Dr. D - any tips?  Your racks look pretty nice!

Use 0.49 or 0.65 wall tubing. Make bends with a proper bender, allow for a vent path or the welds will blow out. I sell my racks for $120 each but currently don't have any for sale. I have 10 skeletons made up and this fall or winter I will finish them. I plan on running batches of 10

• Like 2