2006 YZ250 vs 2007 CR250

After spending the past few weekends on my brothers bone stock 2007 CR250, I have no idea how the YZ250 was regarded so highly. My 2006 YZ250 just does not measure up to CR250 except for suspension. Even that is by the slimest of margins.

The honda has a far superior chassis and motor. THe YZ is nervous at speed and the motor is all low and mid. I find the added over-rev of the CR to be invaluable  and the handling to be inspiring. COrners great and good brakes too. I didn't notice and vibration issues either. Carb was perfectly jetted stock. Maybe a tad lean on the main. Last moto was a very comfortable 35 minutes now that the suspension is set for me.

I will say that the YZ is still a good bike and maybe a better woods bike due to the motor. Both bikes have good brakes and the YZ seems every bit the quality as a Honda.

Owned 02 / 04 YZ 250's & had also read in the mag's how good the motors were & was not impressed at all.   They had a good low - mid powerband, but felt they signed off sooner than the CR250 motors.  I couldn't get the YZ's to handle or turn well after some suspension tuning & sold them in 05.  No regrets & IMHO feel the YZ's are overrated...        

Owned 02 / 04 YZ 250's & had also read in the mag's how good the motors were & was not impressed at all.   They had a good low - mid powerband, but felt they signed off sooner than the CR250 motors.  I couldn't get the YZ's to handle or turn well after some suspension tuning & sold them in 05.  No regrets & IMHO feel the YZ's are overrated...        

I have a 2002 CR250R and a 2007 YZ250.  Even though the YZ's engine is indeed great for woods riding, I seem to get along with the CR250R just as good in the woods.  There is no doubt that my CR250R handles better and the build quality of both bikes is superb.  The ergos on the Honda felt almost perfect to me in completely stock form the first time I ever rode it.  Even after having the YZ250's suspension re-sprung and re-valved I still don't feel as though it handles as good as my CR250R's with the stock suspension set up.  Yamaha and Honda both make really good, high quality bikes in my opinion.  Now when it comes to turning I have to say that the RM250 is the ultimate in that category.  Those bikes seem to almost turn themselves.  :ride:

I don't think anyone has ever argued the CRs are great handling bikes. I think its always been about the motor and its powerband being narrow.....

That all being said, the YZ might come together as a more complete package out of the box. There is no question the suspension on the Yamahas is excellent, the chassis is very neutral and the motor comes pretty good from stock.....

I can't get over the Honda quality and the bullet proof reputation. Motor and anything else that needs work can be done with some $$$$. I also can't get over the fact that Yamaha's gear boxes are made of glass and tend to shatter.

The gearbox in my 2013 crf is nothing to write home about....my 2006 YZ and my old yz450f are much nicer and silky smooth.

I don't think anyone has ever argued the CRs are great handling bikes. I think its always been about the motor and its powerband being narrow.....

That all being said, the YZ might come together as a more complete package out of the box. There is no question the suspension on the Yamahas is excellent, the chassis is very neutral and the motor comes pretty good from stock.....

I disagree...riding the bikes back to back at two different tracks I was amazed how good the CR motor is. It has plenty of bark down low. Maybe the YZ has a pinch more but the CR more than makes up for it in the mid to top power range.

I also think the chassis on the YZ stinks in comparison.

The YZ is a good woods bike where you spend more time in tight and twisty trails but for Moto, give me a CR!