Going 1,500 miles on a DR200 is it possible?

Ok so I've got a 1996 Suzuki DR200 and I've been wanting to take an epic road trip for a while, I'm curious if 1,500 miles in two days is a reasonable goal by Christmas. My goal is to get from Austin, Texas to Los Angeles, California. I have a route mapped out with minimal highway usage so I can keep the DR200 under 60mph (58 mph is where it's happy)  that goes past several state and national parks. I was hoping to get some thoughts or advice on this matter. I have a stock sprocket on the rear right now and was thinking about swapping it out to make it slightly more highway worthy.

HA! No.

Why the hell would you want a route by national parks if you're doing 1500 mi in 2 days? At your 60 mph, you'll be going full speed for 13 hours each day just to make the distance. Add in gas stops and piss breaks, you can easily hit 16 hours per day on the road. What you want to do is unreasonable, because of the very large distance, and short time frame. Add two more days to the trip and get some sight seeing and interesting stops for food in.

I also bet you butt will be dead half way through day one, but the trip should be physically doable.

You really need to be able to sustain 80 mph to compete on the interstate(especially a long trip like that), its doable But if you have to stay under 60 its going to suck. 1500 miles in 2 days , your looking at 12 to 14 hours in the saddle, each day.

Ive done it on my drz400, that was well set up for it, as was I but I definitely would not envy you on a 200. But having said that, it can be done. I did 1500 miles in 36 hours, 12 hours in the saddle each day with one rest day in between. I sustained around 75 mph with bursts to 90 mph.

Edited by Spud786

My recommendation? Ride to Amarillo this weekend..... and don't change your gearing. You will find it is very difficult to AVERAGE an honest 45 mph on a long trip, with fuel / water stops, into the wind, with our overly optimistic speedometers (shows you are going 60MPH when it's 56 actual).

When you complete that test, you'll know if you want to ride to LA. And, Southwest flies from Amarillo back to Austin....

• 2 weeks later...