Cal City mining tower

UPDATE - A suspect has been detained in regard to the fire, that burnt down the headframe of the historic Union Mine, in Atolia. 

"A 30-year-old Woodland Hills man was detained Tuesday after firefighters responded to a burning, historic mine and found a pickup truck underneath the wreckage."

"Brian Russell was found walking through the desert near the mine and detained around 1 p.m. Tuesday after Sheriff’s officials said his pickup truck was found under the burning mine. He had a .45 caliber handgun in his possession, authorities said."

RED MOUNTAIN — A 30-year-old Woodland Hills man was detained Tuesday after firefighters responded to a burning, historic mine and found a pickup truck underneath the wreckage.

Brian Russell was found walking through the desert near the mine and detained around 1 p.m. Tuesday after Sheriff’s officials said his pickup truck was found under the burning mine. He had a .45 caliber handgun in his possession, authorities said.

On Monday at around 3:30 p.m., Kern County and San Bernardino County firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the ghost town of Atolia near Red Mountain, a tiny desert community on Highway 395 south of Ridgecrest.  

At the scene, authorities said firefighters found the headframe of the historic Atolia District Union Mine collapsed and on fire. It took firefighters hours to extinguish the flames, according to authorities. During the course of fighting the fire, a pickup truck was discovered under the debris and the registered owner came back as Russell. Through investigation, deputies learned Russell was a frequent hiker and gold prospector in the area. Authorities said his family had listed him as a missing person.

Due to the heat and concerns for the safety of law enforcement and fire personnel, authorities said officials waited until Tuesday morning to begin a thorough search of the scene.  

Arson investigators from the San Bernardino County Fire Department and the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department’s Arson/Bomb unit responded to the scene to investigate. Volunteers from the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department’s Desert Search and Rescue team also responded to assist with a search of the area in an attempt to locate Russell. Due to the large number of canyons and mines in the area, an aerial search was also conducted by a Sheriff’s Department helicopter.

At around 1 p.m., Russell was located by the helicopter walking northeast of the mine. He was approached by sheriff’s deputies and detained while officials investigated the fire.

Authorities said Russell was in possession of a .45 caliber handgun when he was found.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The completed investigation will be sent to the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office for review.

- See more at: http://www.desertdispatch.com/article/20141029/NEWS/141029948?sect=Latest+News&map=1684#sthash.zTVt3zER.dpuf

safe_image.jpg

RED MOUNTAIN — A 30-year-old Woodland Hills man was detained Tuesday after firefighters responded to a burning, historic mine and found a pickup truck underneath the wreckage.

Brian Russell was found walking through the desert near the mine and detained around 1 p.m. Tuesday after Sheriff’s officials said his pickup truck was found under the burning mine. He had a .45 caliber handgun in his possession, authorities said.

On Monday at around 3:30 p.m., Kern County and San Bernardino County firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the ghost town of Atolia near Red Mountain, a tiny desert community on Highway 395 south of Ridgecrest.  

At the scene, authorities said firefighters found the headframe of the historic Atolia District Union Mine collapsed and on fire. It took firefighters hours to extinguish the flames, according to authorities. During the course of fighting the fire, a pickup truck was discovered under the debris and the registered owner came back as Russell. Through investigation, deputies learned Russell was a frequent hiker and gold prospector in the area. Authorities said his family had listed him as a missing person.

Due to the heat and concerns for the safety of law enforcement and fire personnel, authorities said officials waited until Tuesday morning to begin a thorough search of the scene.  

Arson investigators from the San Bernardino County Fire Department and the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department’s Arson/Bomb unit responded to the scene to investigate. Volunteers from the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department’s Desert Search and Rescue team also responded to assist with a search of the area in an attempt to locate Russell. Due to the large number of canyons and mines in the area, an aerial search was also conducted by a Sheriff’s Department helicopter.

At around 1 p.m., Russell was located by the helicopter walking northeast of the mine. He was approached by sheriff’s deputies and detained while officials investigated the fire.

Authorities said Russell was in possession of a .45 caliber handgun when he was found.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The completed investigation will be sent to the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office for review.

- See more at: http://www.desertdispatch.com/article/20141029/NEWS/141029948?sect=Latest+News&map=1684#sthash.zTVt3zER.dpuf

📎safe_image.jpg

At least they found who did it. Too bad it cant be replaced.

What cabins are gone from Goler Gulch?  The ones near the airstrip?

Yeah thats the place.  There were two of them.  One was that really well kept one with inlaid tile and a Joshua tree and a little cooking area.  We used to stage from there a lot and crack a beer open after a ride and just hang out because it was just a nice place to hang out.  We went there one weekend and wen't down the little road and there was just a pile of coals and a burnt joshua tree.  Happened back in March of 2012 I beleive.

It was like a kick in the nuts.  No one ever got caught either. 

One is still standing last I checked, but its kinda trashed with garbage and shot up, and people have used certain rooms as their own personal bathrooms.

Edited by Dirtfiend