To Mod or to Upgrade?

Hello All,

Sorry for the wall of text. Cliffnotes at the bottom.

I've owned my '13 SM for 15k km (in 1.5 years) and it's lack of power (to haul my ass) is seriously starting to both me. I've upgraded to an FCR and bolted on a yoshi RS-2 system. It has way better throttle response and has better all around power.

I commute on the highway where 90% of folks are going 125km/h (77mph)  in a 110km/h (68mph) zone. I don't like riding slower than traffic because everyone tailgates or passes on cruise control and block you up behind another vehicle. Then I end up in the city where there's a lot more slow speed/traffic crawl and no lane-splitting.

The DRZ is light and nimble compared to my GF's '14 SFV650 Gladius. But it's seriously lacking in the speed department. I've been spoiled by a '07 Skidoo Summit 800 sled that I get to ride on occasion in the winter. The brutal acceleration of the 150HP is really what I'm looking for in a bike. Granted, a snowmobile applies power completely differently than a bike (CVT and way more traction vs geared transmission and skinny bike tire).
I've ridden the GF's gladius a few times. The acceleration is much better than the DRZ but the Gladius feels heavy and not nearly as nimble.

I've been eye-balling the Yamaha's lately FZ07 and FZ09 in particular. The FZ07 is a step-up across the board but it's still called a "beginner" bike by most. Fuel injection and sub-400lbs with ~70HP is tempting but it may not be enough. 
The FZ09 has recently peaked my interested because of it's 110HP (105HP wheel) and only ~20lbs heavier than the FZ07. It has multiple power modes and turn it from "beastly" to manageable with the touch of a button. The suspension is something to be desired which still gives me something to tinker with.
I obviously still have to test ride both to really see what makes me laugh like maniac in my helmet.

Now back to the DRZ:
After drooling over a new bike, the other option is bump up old faithful. I've got studded tires and like to tool around on the frozen lakes in the winter, so the mods won't happen until spring break-up. I'm looking at a CW big bore kit and a set of hot cams. With those mods, I should be around the 45-47hp mark if that. I live around 4,000ft with the carbed bike, I can't expect awesome power. Hence the new fuel injected bikes for consistent power.
I have a feeling top speed isn't going to increase drastically. My bike tops out around 150-155km/h (93-96mph) but mostly only ever gets to 145 km/h (90 mph) with a bit of time/road. I've messed with the gearing and stock is still the best for my highway and city riding.

I'm not sure if the DRZ will get sold or if it'll stick around for weekend duties. A lot of folks always come back to the DRZ/supermotos after straying into the sport (bigger hp) bikes.
What does everyone else think?

Cliffnotes: '13 SM with FCR and yoshi, lacking power/top speed. Get a yamaha FZ07 or FZ09  or Big Bore kit + Cams for the DRZ. What do you think?

Even if you could have a 70+ HP DRZ that could do 120+mph, it's still going to suck on the highway for anything longer than connecting to the twisty back roads or trails.  That's why I got rid of mine.  90% of my riding was on the highway and the DRZ simply wasn't cutting it.  Wish I could have kept it, but finances and space simply didn't allow for it.

The FZ07 and FZ09 are supposed to be amazing bikes for the money.  I haven't had the chance to ride either one yet, but I have read enough on them to know that the reviews are not BS.  Personally, I am DYING to ride to 09, but I am afraid that if I do, I won't want my FZ1 anymore.  I love the FZ1, but the extreme hooligan nature of the 09 would be hard to not fall in love with.  On the other hand, the lack of wind protection would get old on the highway.  I know this because it did on my Z1000. 

You might also look at the FZ1.  You can get low mile, excellent condition used Gen 2's for very reasonable prices on CL and through forums.  Some people will tell you that the Gen 2 FZ1's fuel injection is the worst thing to ever happen in the history or motorcycles, but I don't think that is true.  My FZ runs pretty much the same as any other fuel injected I4 I have ever ridden.  Does it take some getting used to going from a single cylinder carb bike to a multi-cylinder FI bike, yes, but it's really not that bad.  Even if you do have an issue with it, with the money you save buying used, you would still have plenty of money left to get a full exhaust, PC5, and Ivan's ECU flash which will turn it into a smooth as butter 150 hp fire breathing beast that will eat the FZ09 alive.

I'm really not looking for someone else to make my decision. Obviously it's all my own choice.

I'm just looking for other folks's opinion and passed experiences.

Does it take some getting used to going from a single cylinder carb bike to a multi-cylinder FI bike, yes, but it's really not that bad.  

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Having put 7,500 miles on my DRZ and owning an FZ-09 for 2,000 miles (sold it) I can say they are not direct replacements of each other.  If you go with an FZ (09 or 07) I would suggest keeping the DRZ, you'll regret selling it (everyone I know that had one and sold it has).

I was in a similar situation as you, I had the DRZ for some time and my commute was mostly county roads, relatively short, was perfect on the DRZ.  Then I moved and my commute almost doubled and turned to almost exclusively freeway.  The DRZ just doesn't cut it for those duties.  But I knew I still wanted the DRZ for fun since it's dirt cheap to own.

I lusted after the FZ-09 for a very long time but ended up buying an SV650 because of funds.  Super great bike, I would recommend it all day for commuting/play bike/even light touring.  But, lust is lust and I eventually sold the SV and my 450 race quad to buy a used FZ-09.  Very fun bike, wheelies for days, hard to beat on the grin factor.  Just wasn't the fit and finish I was looking for personally.  It's okay for commuting, but it's twitchy, hard seat, snatchy throttle got old for me personally.  After 2K miles I sold the FZ for a used '13 Street Triple R, and I am in love.  That bike is amazing, I've got a little over 1K miles on it already and I am hooked.

All that being said, you need to personally look at what you want, what you want your bike to do, and your budget and find the fit within those parameters.  It took me 3 bikes to find the right fit for me.  No doubt the SV650 is a great bike - cheap and fun, but got boring for me at times.  FZ-09 - Yamaha made a banger bike here, but they missed the mark in too many spots that were important to me (suspension, fueling, seat, and brakes).  STriple - pure bliss for me.  

Even thought the FZ-07 is considered "beginner" it's an incredibly capable bike.  I don't think of it as a beginner bike, I wouldn't put my fiancé on it for her first bike.

The FZ-09 will probably give you the acceleration you're looking for, similar to your sleds.  It depends on what's important to you.  Brutal acceleration is fun, but straight line gets boring imo.  Carving corners is my high, and the Street Triple does that far better than the FZ for me.

BUT, through all that, I NEVER considered selling the DRZ.  It has remained in my garage as a play bike in both supermoto and dirt trim (I got a second set of wheels for quick swaps).  Hard to beat the versatility of it.  It's not amazing at anything but it's really good at a lot.

I've been fortunate to have a number of bikes over the years, sometimes many at once.  I'll probably never be done...

2ea8e643-ee80-466f-9cd6-ba9c75c991d2_zps

D65C32FE-C2B8-4802-A9DB-E89E9DBB260B_zps

10374870_10100425802008012_2518024173761

• Like 1

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Many FI bikes have what is known as fuel cut at lower rpms which can make them seem "snatchy" when shifting at those rpms.  It's an EPA mandate thing that shuts of fuel spray below a certain rpm when you let off the throttle.  When you re-open the throttle, there is an abrupt "snatch" (surge of power) that happens when fuel is re-introduced to the now dry intake tract which some consider a nuisance.  Plenty of tuners offer products or ECU flashes that get rid of the fuel cut.  Either that or you can modify your shifting technique a little to lessen it.  On my FZ1, I can shift it so that I feel the "snatch" or I can shift a little differently (ie. faster) so I that don't feel it.

Edited by lowercasee

Ah yes, the low RPM fuel cut. I remember noticing it on the Gladius. Meh.

I'm sure it's probably worse on other bikes. Just takes a bit to get used to.

Hah. Yeah. I might have to build a racking system so I can keep all the bikes organized in the garage.

I make my own ice tires. A street/sport bike on the ice would be interesting. The GF won't let me stud the Gladius's tires, yet.

The Speed Triple is a beautiful bike from the forks back. That headlight/shroud...

Hah. Yeah. I might have to build a racking system so I can keep all the bikes organized in the garage.

I make my own ice tires. A street/sport bike on the ice would be interesting. The GF won't let me stud the Gladius's tires, yet.

The Speed Triple is a beautiful bike from the forks back. That headlight/shroud...

I ran out of room in the garage.  I keep the 4 of mine that are on the road at the moment, and my tenant's CBR.  But I have an 8x14' trailer in the driveway for the Honda project, the spare bike, and the 250 "learner" bike.  I think there's a minibike frame in there, too.  Definitely a problem... but I'm hoping to build a new garage just to park the "finished" bikes.

If you like the speed triple, what do you think about the EBR 1190 SX?  If I had need for a street bike, it would be between that and the Duke.  But my Firebolt is still going strong, so I can't see upgrading at the moment.

Getting. Big bore won't help with the drz highway feel, however something you should consider is the wide ratio gears they sell. Putting the wide ratio gears and big bore you would have a great all around bike. Only should set you back 1000 dollars. Better than buying a new bike. IMO

If you like the speed triple, what do you think about the EBR 1190 SX?

At $17k, I could buy a decent new commuter car, register and insure it for two years for the same amount. Maybe even drive it for both years if I could swing a good deal.

But good gracious, 185hp at just over 400lbs. That's an arm stretcher for sure. Insanity realm for a second bike in my two year riding career.

At $17k, I could buy a decent new commuter car, register and insure it for two years for the same amount. Maybe even drive it for both years if I could swing a good deal.

But good gracious, 185hp at just over 400lbs. That's an arm stretcher for sure. Insanity realm for a second bike in my two year riding career.

You could pick up a Buell Lightning for commuting relatively cheap.  They're not the fastest on top speed, but the 1200's make a little over 100hp and the torque is a lot of fun.  I have a Buell Firebolt and a Buell Ulysses, and they're both great bikes that are fun to ride.  They're usually available in the $2500-4500 range.  Or for a bit more, you can get into a Ulysses and have better options for hauling a passenger and gear.  (and I off road my Ulysses with a set of TKC's on spare wheels)  Just throwing some options out there, spreading the Buell gospel!

Hello All,

Sorry for the wall of text. Cliffnotes at the bottom.

I've owned my '13 SM for 15k km (in 1.5 years) and it's lack of power (to haul my ass) is seriously starting to both me. I've upgraded to an FCR and bolted on a yoshi RS-2 system. It has way better throttle response and has better all around power.

I commute on the highway where 90% of folks are going 125km/h (77mph)  in a 110km/h (68mph) zone. I don't like riding slower than traffic because everyone tailgates or passes on cruise control and block you up behind another vehicle. Then I end up in the city where there's a lot more slow speed/traffic crawl and no lane-splitting.

The DRZ is light and nimble compared to my GF's '14 SFV650 Gladius. But it's seriously lacking in the speed department. I've been spoiled by a '07 Skidoo Summit 800 sled that I get to ride on occasion in the winter. The brutal acceleration of the 150HP is really what I'm looking for in a bike. Granted, a snowmobile applies power completely differently than a bike (CVT and way more traction vs geared transmission and skinny bike tire).
I've ridden the GF's gladius a few times. The acceleration is much better than the DRZ but the Gladius feels heavy and not nearly as nimble.

I've been eye-balling the Yamaha's lately FZ07 and FZ09 in particular. The FZ07 is a step-up across the board but it's still called a "beginner" bike by most. Fuel injection and sub-400lbs with ~70HP is tempting but it may not be enough. 
The FZ09 has recently peaked my interested because of it's 110HP (105HP wheel) and only ~20lbs heavier than the FZ07. It has multiple power modes and turn it from "beastly" to manageable with the touch of a button. The suspension is something to be desired which still gives me something to tinker with.
I obviously still have to test ride both to really see what makes me laugh like maniac in my helmet.

Now back to the DRZ:
After drooling over a new bike, the other option is bump up old faithful. I've got studded tires and like to tool around on the frozen lakes in the winter, so the mods won't happen until spring break-up. I'm looking at a CW big bore kit and a set of hot cams. With those mods, I should be around the 45-47hp mark if that. I live around 4,000ft with the carbed bike, I can't expect awesome power. Hence the new fuel injected bikes for consistent power.
I have a feeling top speed isn't going to increase drastically. My bike tops out around 150-155km/h (93-96mph) but mostly only ever gets to 145 km/h (90 mph) with a bit of time/road. I've messed with the gearing and stock is still the best for my highway and city riding.

I'm not sure if the DRZ will get sold or if it'll stick around for weekend duties. A lot of folks always come back to the DRZ/supermotos after straying into the sport (bigger hp) bikes.
What does everyone else think?

Cliffnotes: '13 SM with FCR and yoshi, lacking power/top speed. Get a yamaha FZ07 or FZ09  or Big Bore kit + Cams for the DRZ. What do you think?

_nothing_ you can do to the drz will compare to the pull of the fz09. it is a FANTASTIC engine wrapped in yamaha dependability, and the only (slightly) negative thing about the bike is the suspension. get the fz09, let the drz be a hooligan and enjoy the huge pulls from the fz. you know they're coming out with a baby fj now, right ? might be right up your alley for a sporty commuter. 

The FJ09 is supposed to be a sport touring version. Not smaller.

The FZ07 is the smaller brother of the FZ09.

I guess if I pick up a new bike, I can always keep the DRZ for a season and see how much I do/don't ride it.

If you can swing I would suggest that.  Test ride a few bikes and see what suits your taste.  You should be able to sell the DRZ pretty easy anytime if you decide you don't want it later on.

Yeah, that sounds like the way to go.

Keep the DRZ. Pick up something else.

If I don't ride the DRZ, put it up for sale.

I don't like it but if I finance a new bike, the payments are real cheap.

And if I sell the DRZ, all that cash goes against the bike loan.

If I sell the studded ice tires with the DRZ, I'm sure I could sell my bike for top dollar at any time of the year.