Ballistic Battery Bullshit!

Seems the old ballistic battery &%$#@!ed me over AGAIN. This is the second battery from these guys. First one came from a dealer and worked great for 6 months then all of a sudden i started having a intermintent starting and loosing my lights problem. I checked all the connections..nothing. Everything was pointing to a bad cdi. So i go to the dealer and shell out about $180 for a new cdi. Still acting up. Then one day the pig has no juice and i decide to tap the top of the battery....bingo..bad battery. Replaced under warranty. i Figuire i just got a dud. Dealer told me the terminals inside can crack.

...So i have had this battery for about a hear and a half. When the bike died out in the woods a couple of months ago that was the first thing i checked when i got it home. battery was good. I even took it out of the pig and put it in my street bike to make sure. The street bike started up no problem. So when me and Brian were out in the woods and the bike was acting up i never thought to tap the top of the battery because the battery was good when i tested it at my place previously.

...Took Brians advice and cleaned the starter ground and all was good. bike was working great. Went out today to go for a ride in the woods. Bike was working awesome when i parked it a few days back. Put the key in the ignition...nothing. No juice at all. :banghead: Checked the fuses and everything was fine. Just for the hell of it i taped the top of the battery plate with a screw driver...i have juice again. The replacement battery is doing the exact same thing as the first one. These f**kers REALLY need to get their act togeather!!!! They need to change their advertising. Vibration proof my ass!! Ballistic really needs to go back to the "drawing board" and design their batteries better!! 2 batteries in about 2 Years!! f**king shameful!! Maybe one of you fine forum members who are more computer savey can do me a favour and send this thread to Ballistic for me? They owe me ANOTHER battery to say the least!!

Edited by Bryan Bosch

this,,is why i have avoided these lith ion batteries,,,,,,i am not pushing a pig outta the woods..weight be damned..🤣

it`s only money Steve,i designed your whole electrical system arround the location,unless you get the same battery again..you are kinda screwed..

B

Edited by brianhare

this,,is why i have avoided these lith ion batteries,,,,,,i am not pushing a pig outta the woods..weight be damned..🤣

it`s only money Steve,i designed your whole electrical system arround the location,unless you get the same battery again..you are kinda screwed..

B

I hear ya Brian. Im starting to think these small batteries have some negative consequences with their use 🤦

Its the price i pay to have an improved lighter pig. Im starting to feel they are like a bic lighter. Works well...just not long term. same idea as the tires. They are worn out after 1000km( 600 miles). But during that 600 miles to me its worth the faster wear rate than less grippier sneakers. The ballistic battery is about $120. If it means buying one every 6-months to a year...so be it. In the long run, im happy with the "lighter pig version" by far. It just means $120-$240 per year for battery maintenance...no big deal i guess. 👍 

I had a ballistics 8-cell in my cb919 .... it lasted 13 months and then out of the blue it died. I contacted ballistics and even though they pitch having a "class leading warranty" they would only give me a prorated price on a new purchase .... after I covered the shipping so they could inspect the product for customer damage/neglect.

I went back to a traditional gel-mat battery at 1/3 the price and it has been flawless.

I took the ballistics to the battery shop at work and a avionics tech opened it up and found 4 of the 8 cells were dead. He also noted some poor solder connections etc.

The ballistics use A123 LiPo cells which can be purchased off ebay or at some RC shops ... so it's possible to open it up and swap out the dead cells. I gave my cells to a buddy at work and kept the ballistics shell in case I decide to build another .... but after my experience I will stick with traditional batteries for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

I  personally think your issue is size.not construction,you are hammering every last amp at each start from that battery,,,,,,,go up a size and i bet your issue is solved,and very little weight added..

B

That ballistic battery has the same amount of cranking amps as the stock battery Brian...135. When i had it out last winter it started the bike up no problem in sub zero freezing temperatures several times.  Imo...i think the constant beating the pig/battery takes offroad with vibrations and such over time weakens the batteries internals. I was planning on going with a bigger ballistic for my zx9r to shave an easy 4-5 lbs🤣 . Not a chance in hell now.

Which model battery have you been using & in what bike?

its a 4 cell in 650l. its 1/2 the size of stock. im acutally running 2  for 24v starting. if they only lasted a year or less at 110 a piece, id be pissed too.

Edited by garthr

Im so impressed with my Ballistic im thinking about downloading a video on here that i might call "the ballistic battery start up procedure"..turn the ignition key on...if you have no juice, take your trustworthy screwdriver and tap the top battery plate until your light comes on...then hit the starter button and your good to go. Then i will contact them to come on over and take a peek at it on thumpertalk.com.🤣 Actually, i dont even know if "thumpertalk" would allow this? Can someone enlighten me..

thanks

Edited by Thumper3

its a 4 cell in 650l. its 1/2 the size of stock. im acutally running 2  for 24v starting. if they only lasted a year or less at 110 a piece, id be pissed too.

Half the size? come on yes with two for 24v starter but one you can put in your pocket! And I tested one of 4cell started my KTM990SMT no problem!