kx250 cylinder damage

circlips look ok.. the top of the piston was ok and the head is not damaged at all... the exhaust side of the piston is pretty rough... im hoping it was just a lean condition that caused this failure.... the rod does not seem to have excess slop... might split the cases just to check

im pretty familiar with 2 strokes..... but usually when a crank bearing goes or you lose a clip it sucks it into the combustion chamber and dings up the top of the piston and head.... thats what bothers me the most about this is the top of the piston and head are undamaged....

im pretty familiar with 2 strokes..... but usually when a crank bearing goes or you lose a clip it sucks it into the combustion chamber and dings up the top of the piston and head.... thats what bothers me the most about this is the top of the piston and head are undamaged....

That's why I asked about the top of the piston. I'd go as far as to say that it may have just been the plating wore out and that's what you're seeing.

Time to send it off for a replate.

might be able to bore it out- re plate and use a over sized piston.

welding it is not a option at all. your introducing a different kind of metal to the cylinder which will expand at different temps and will cause a crack or ejection of the material you just put in there killing both the top and bottom end.

bore it or re-sleeve.

might be able to bore it out- re plate and use a over sized piston.

welding it is not a option at all. your introducing a different kind of metal to the cylinder which will expand at different temps and will cause a crack or ejection of the material you just put in there killing both the top and bottom end.

bore it or re-sleeve.

Its a common repair for any competent shop.  They just charge extra over the base price.