Hole in case...weldable?

So this 06' 200 had its big end rod bearing fail and it knocked a hole in the both side cases big enough to stick a finger though!  Anybody ever try welding a large hole like this before?  How much stress is this area of the case subjected too?

The owner let her kid ride it and he was apparently revving it to the moon when it let go.  I assume that was the cause.  Any help much appreciated. 

200 case split 021.JPG

200 case split 022.JPG

200 case split 027.JPG

don't take my word for it but it looks small enough to weld if you have an experienced aluminum welder. Wouldn't think its under much stress and it doesn't hold oil. But if you shop around maybe try finding the whole left case half.

I cracked the case on my RM 250, used JB weld, it's held for 4 years so far. Now as good as jb weld is, I wouldn't use it there, you could get that welded, of course the most critical thing other than the repair is getting the case halves as true as possible, or no high/low spots on the mating surfaces. I would definately try to repair this.

I just can not say what you should or should not run . I think as long as you have some thing in their and change it often. I run atf rotella T5 WHAT EVER IS HANDY WHEN IM IN THE MOOD TO CHANGE IT. if I have been giving the clutch a real severe beating I try and make it a point to follow that ride with atf because its a high detergent fluid and cleans it up in the tranny.

• Like 1

DSC04723_zps3fc0d857.jpgDSC04724_zpsfdd7b4e6.jpg

that's a repair over the oil filter gally close to the center case parting line done with out dissassembling the cases and it don't leak, the idea their was clean it up fill it up with out to much heat to detroy the center gasket causing a leak. it could have been pretty but I wanted to keep the heat down to preserve the sealing surfaces after the series of short welds the filter was pulled and the filter gally ground down until a new filter would fit in easily.

• Like 2