ktm dieing out

Hello im having problems with my ktm sx 250 03 in the last week it was blowing alot of white smoke i was giving it throttle and it died out so i clean the air filter cleaned the carbie also i cleaned the spark plug it kicks over and runs for a bit then then dies it sounds like its not getting enough fuel i got it started today it sounded fine i got on got about 500 meters from the hours before it died every time i clean the spark it kicks over im waiting for new spark plugs

That would be blue smoke...

This is also a 2t, oil passes through the rings to lubricant the bearings an such...

Oh oh right...I read this post right when I woke up, sorry a bit tired

I also thought that blue smoke was oil going through the valves and white smoke is past the rings...I got it all from the forums so correct me if I'm wrong

Check the reeds.  My son was riding his KTM a couple of weeks ago and it bogged down and died.  The plug was wet so we put in a new plug and it started right up, ran for ~30 seconds, then bogged out and died.  Another new plug, same thing.  Tore into it at home and found that one of the reed petals was totally gone, it got sucked through the engine.  My theory about this is that the bike can start, but as it runs part of the intake charge can "backwash" back through the carb since part of the reeds are missing.  As part of the intake charge does this backwashing it cycles back and forth from the crankcase to the carb and gets richer and richer until it fouls the plug and the engine bogs out.

Check the reeds.  My son was riding his KTM a couple of weeks ago and it bogged down and died.  The plug was wet so we put in a new plug and it started right up, ran for ~30 seconds, then bogged out and died.  Another new plug, same thing.  Tore into it at home and found that one of the reed petals was totally gone, it got sucked through the engine.  My theory about this is that the bike can start, but as it runs part of the intake charge can "backwash" back through the carb since part of the reeds are missing.  As part of the intake charge does this backwashing it cycles back and forth from the crankcase to the carb and gets richer and richer until it fouls the plug and the engine bogs out.

i would try to find that missing part, if it went through it may have damaged something inside.

Sorry for the late reply the fuel line is connected with out a fuel filter i just brought it from a motorbike shop and have done about three hours riding time the bloke i brought it off said it had a service they would have checked if the piston and rings were fine ?? Also could it be the jets in the carbie that are sticking to causing it to bog out and also the settings on the carbie it was working fine on my last ride then i started it up a week later it blew smoke m bogged out also there is oil leaking out of were the exhaust leaves the engine i got told its ment to do that cause its spring loaded?

get a compression tester.

what service did it have done? could have been a oil change.

I would say pull the carb and give it a good cleaning.

and oil is not supposed to leak out. the springs are there in place of bolts that rust out and break too easy.

there should be one or two o-rings there.

I would pull the exhaust off and have a look at the piston and rings, snap a few pictures and post them.

Edited by Excitable

What could have changed from your first time riding it till now?

Did you fuel it up? __If yes.....

- What mix ratio are you running?

- Could you have mixed it incorrectly?

The oil (spooge) coming from the exhaust is normal, kinda, lol.

The 2 strokes need the oil in the fuel to lubricate the piston, unlike a 4 stroke that use crank case oil.

Some 2 stroke oils produce more spooge than others. Like caster (bean) oil. The new synthetic oils are cleaner and can lubricate at a 50:1 ratio if ur not racing with it tapped at full throttle for long stretches.

They don't smell nearly as good tho. 🙂

Did you clean/oil the air filter?

- Too much oil in the filter could cause it to run like the choke is on. It should not be dripping, just damp.

I agree the O rings probably need replaced at the exhaust but thats not causing your problem.

Did you touch any settings on the carb?

How did you clean it?

Pull the float bowl off and dump out the fuel, dont reuse it. Spray carb cleaner all through the jets and Being careful with the floats blow it out with air if you can.

While the carb is off look at the reeds, they are between the carb and the cylinder head. Dont stab at them they are delicate. Just make sure there all there and not bent.

Does it die out at low rpm's

We have narrowed your problem down to your fouling the spark plug.

Just gotta figure out why.

• Like 1

The carbie was a bit lose.. 40:1 ..ive done two separate fuel mixes' to make sure it was correct..also there is no spooge coming out of the exhaust only were its spring loaded like you said its caused buy the o rings ..ive cleaned the air filter and its fine the only thing i have touched is the idle screw..i have cleaned the carb out with unleaded fuel..it dies out a high rpm..also there is black oil coming out of were the speak plug sits in the engine its still got compression..everything should have been done and looked over when it was sold to me the bloke at the motorbike shop told me