1985 CR500 good buy?

Hey everyone. So im a senior in high school. Have owned a few dirtbikes and love it. I have kinda become the local mechanic for my neighborhood. Got a bike that needs to be fixed? bring it by my house yaknow? Anyways, for my 'senior project' as its called I need to find some kind of undertaking and perform with the help of a mentor (although ill probably do most of the work myself and just get my other mechanic neighbor to sign it lol) a task and right a report on it etc with a certain amount of field time. Anyways this really only has a slight amount to do with my actual question but just thought id give some background.
So lately my good friend and I have been all over craigslist splitting 50/50 on bikes and fixing them up. We came across a 1985 Husky CR500 in pretty great shape for 800$. Now I called the guy and he is a really nice old guy so i know he know bikes and isnt out to rip me off. It was rebuilt from the ground up in 96 with original husky parts he said that cost him 2k back in the day. Bored to 530. Front and rear shock (ohlins rear) rebuilt two years ago. hasnt been ridden more than 20 times, by a novice rider since. Its been posted for months and recently just expired so i know no one else has their eye on it and i can probably get an even better price. The only thing it needs (my senior project) is timing adjusted and cleaned carb. I think thats complicated enough in the schools eyes, yet relatively easy for me.
So anyways one of my dads friends keeps saying that its a stupid decision because its old and new parts are impossible to find yada yada but my counter argument is this: www.husqvarna-parts.com. im sure some of you have used this site. Im not trying to advertise this site or anything but basically i told him no, every part i could ever need for the bike and more is right there online and good prices and usa located. I also found several parts on other online retailers. I own a 1983 suzuki RM80 and parts have been easy to find online. My main question is: is this really a bad buy? From what ive read these bikes are beast and great in the woods and wide open and unbeatable european quality. And that resale value down the line will only increase since these bikes are sought after and rare. Ive read that they are just straigh badass! Any other info on these bikes would be great aswell. Please correct me if im wrong but am i right and will this be a sick buy or is my dads friend right and is it a bad one that is will cost be more in the long run? (will probably try and resell in 5+ years). Thanks for reading.

Edited by C-R-M

That's a great bike I had a 1984 430 when I was your age in the nineties and even then I had a hard time getting parts. This was before the internet so maybe you'll have better luck. But it was built great.

• Like 1

Beware of the starting ! If you suspect the timing needs checking as you stated earlier it could be very slightly too far advanced ! Maybe why the seller wants it gone.

If it kicks back on you, apart from hurting you, it can destroy the kickstart mechanism.

Check the timing before you start it.

Manuals are available on-line free. Parts are easier to source than for new models.

Get yourself over to www.cafehusky.com The "vintage left kicker" forum is the best way of sorting problems and finding any hard to get parts.

I hate to be captain buzz kill, but no 85 model bike brings any real money and the performance level is much lower than an equivalently priced newer machine. I had an 87 Honda 500 that I have fond memories of, but If I could I wouldn't want to race it this Sunday.

Got her home. Tried bump starting, ran for a few seconds but wouldnt stay. Pulled stator cover timing was super retarded. Adjusted the backing plate and stator and aligned the marks on the flywheel. At first backfired but then ran 100% better. And started easy Idles smooth and revved great. Gonna take er for a ride tomorrow.

• Like 1

Went for an actual ride yesterday. Pulled hard down low and the mids where the best part fell off a little on top but barely. Great handling in drifting high speed fire road situations it seems and the suspension is plush and great. My friend was riding my 125 then we switched and idk if it was his fault or not (because hes ridden the bike before and is an experienced rider) but when i got back on the 125 i heard a very high pitched ringing noise. Almost like my ear was ringing but only when on the gas. Then i eased off because i was worried, downshifted and boom, metalic knocking noise, clutch in. It still turns over with minimal noise but still doesnt sounds right and wont run but i only tried to start it one time right when it happened. I guess we will have to see when i open er up in a few days. Not enough room in the garage to tear into it. I had to ride back to the truck on the back of the 500 and it still carried us fine. Terriflying tho. Now to the only issue with the husky. thing is that when u punch it full with no roll on throttle it bogs then kinda pops then mobs ahead. Its hasnt really bothered me yet but it makes it hard to lift the wheel on command with a burst of full throttle which is what this thing is designed to do lol. im pretty sure i need to do the timing more exact because the dude said the jetting is adequet for my area and that hes ridden it here. (Hes in reno, im in tahoe) so i dont think its jetting(still gonna go thru carb tho) it also is leaking significant amounts of tranny fluid when leaned to the right. I know that cant be good. I looked underneath and idk for sure, because i havent removed the countershaft sprocket cover, but it looks like a bolt near the sprocket and sprocket seal may be gone. But idk. anyways ill post back more when i get the timing correct and see how it runs

Edited by C-R-M

Found the tranny leak turned out one of the 4 bolts on the countershaft 'seal plate' was gone and basically made a secondary drain bolt. I found a replacement bolt in my parts bin that fit the threads, loctited it and called it good. Still drips so I think the gasket on that plate is bad. prob gonna pull it and rtv seal it as best as I can.

according to my manual the timing should fire 2.64mm BTDC? so what exactly does this mean? is that just 2.6mm of piston travel before top dead? or would it be easier to measure in degrees on the crankshaft? the first timing adjustment i basically eye balled a little bit before top dead and it made a 99% performance improvement from what it was before (barely running, not idling) but I still think its off because of the bog and the hit seems to be softened. also the front brake seems week. I checked the disk and it was loose and when i tried to tighten it it didnt change anything. pads where in good shape tho, prob gonna try and add some washers to the disk bolts to tighten it up. anyways ill try and fix the timing and go thru the carb next chance I get and hopefully it will clear up the issue.

Edit: just thought id add that everywhere i read online says these bikes are four speed but this one has six. But im pretty sure its a cr and not an xc because it doesnt have a headlight or lighting coil. It has the magnesium cases too idk if thats special or not but i read somewhere that only a few of these magnesium case models where imported here in 85 and that they had some other advantages but who knos. Lemme kno u have any info on this year and model..

Edited by C-R-M