18"/21" wheels on DRZ125

56 minutes ago, TheLetterJ said:

My Handy lift finally arrived a few weeks ago and some other projects have been getting buttoned up (I have AC/heat in the garage now) so the drz made it's way back to the front of the line. I didn't like how the vm26 fit in the engine side intake boot, so I had a friend mill .100" off of the front spigot of the carb. Now it "snaps" in like the stock carb did. 

I previously thought that my main was filthy rich, or my timing must have been a tooth off (hey, it happens) preventing it from revving up so I pulled the cam cover back off. Timing was spot on. Back to jetting. I went from 200, to 190 with no noticeable change, so I dropped to a 170 and leaned the needle all the way out. Definitely worse. I went to a 220 with the needle on the richest setting and things got MUCH better. I tried a 230 and I'm thinking that might be the one, but it's hard to tell without riding. 

Turns out, this little engine can go from idle to the rev limiter in about a millisecond and I really was confusing that with a rich burble!

Mjg15: I know you said I'd hit the limiter about 1k rpm before this cam's peak power, so what's my best option to remedy that? I have no interest in a PVL and I've been totally striking out trying to find a reasonably priced dr100 ignition (seems to be $700-$800 on ebay for crusty used parts with no guarantee that they even work.)

I just reassembled my 170 a couple days ago.  They do rip!  So far, I haven't tried a VM26 on this motor, so I can't guess at the jetting. (my 218cc 200 runs 20P/190M, w/VM26).  I have a 388X3 cam in my 170, with a TM26mjn and BBR pipe. Todd and I are running an HPI ignition setup, which requires a custom mounting plate.  Works well, IIRC its about $500 total.  2 maps, programmable.  Same flywheel weight as a pvl, but has a rev limiter and you can map the timing curve for safe kick starting. I think I have my limiter set at 11,800, which is about 2000 revs higher than stock, and it uses all of it. The flywheel may be a little light for trail riding. I haven't yet tried to run the HPI cdi from the Suzuki flywheel/trigger. The trick at this point is to get my buddy to get his buddy to make some more mounting plates.

I may have DR100 bits, if you're interested. I definitely have a couple CDI boxes for them. 

I'm interested, with a few questions. My understanding of the dr100 ignition was that there's no rev limiter (or, it's at least at a significantly higher rpm), is that correct? But do I need to swap everything (flywheel, stator, stator plate, pickup, cdi, wiring, etc.) to make that work? Or, is the cdi alone a plug & play swap that will still gain what I'm after (higher rev limit to match my cam)?

5 hours ago, TheLetterJ said:

I'm interested, with a few questions. My understanding of the dr100 ignition was that there's no rev limiter (or, it's at least at a significantly higher rpm), is that correct? But do I need to swap everything (flywheel, stator, stator plate, pickup, cdi, wiring, etc.) to make that work? Or, is the cdi alone a plug & play swap that will still gain what I'm after (higher rev limit to match my cam)?

I've heard that the 100 ignition cuts at 12500, but I can't remember where I saw that, and if it's actually reliable info.  The CDI may well work with your current components, but it will be "splice and play".  I may have all the bits that go with it, to make up the complete set up. I'll have to look and see.  I've got a pretty big box of electrics from older motors that I've used for projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Apparently I still have more bikes than I can keep track of. I put all the dr100 ignition parts on the drz like a year ago, was having issues (spark, but no fire) and it sat. and sat. and sat. I guess that's what happens when I started riding (some) again.

A friend of mine told me about somebody's kx they were selling that was setup for kart tracks and it was cheap enough to go take a look. Well, I really just wanted the wheels since they'll bolt right up to my drz (or my kx100, or my old klx140 if that finds its way back in my stable) but the bike came home with me. It's got 17x2.75" front and 17x3.5" rear Sun rims laced to OEM kx80/85/100 hubs. It'd probably be wise to get new tires for them before putting them into service, but who knows when (if) that'll be.