Just got a KTM, what to do for suspension?

Whats up fellow TT members. i am a new owner of a 04 KTM EXC.

Traded it for a 2011 yz450 and 1000 on top. This thing is in incredible shape and is street legal. 

I am going to ride the bike today. And so far from what i have read is that the older ktms lacked in the handling and suspension department but are powerhouses motor wise.

I test rode it yesterday and yeah she scoots. Nice smooth power though not like my old 07 yz250 that would hit hard haha.

But anyways, what should i look at first with suspension? i race harescrambles, in Illinois and what i came up with on my 450 was to go all the way soft on the compression in the forks and about 12 clicks out on the rebouund and 8 clicks for the compression on the shock and 12 out for rebound.

Now i realize im dealing with a whole new animal now and i have no prior experience with KTM. I've never sent my suspension off before to be revalved. But i can do all work myself like change seals and getting new springs.

So whats best to start with? ride the thing and see how i like it and then think about getting it revalved and new springs for my weight?

Or is the stock suspension good enough? 

I raced B last year and am moving up to A this year

Whats up fellow TT members. i am a new owner of a 04 KTM EXC.

Traded it for a 2011 yz450 and 1000 on top. This thing is in incredible shape and is street legal. 

I am going to ride the bike today. And so far from what i have read is that the older ktms lacked in the handling and suspension department but are powerhouses motor wise.

I test rode it yesterday and yeah she scoots. Nice smooth power though not like my old 07 yz250 that would hit hard haha.

But anyways, what should i look at first with suspension? i race harescrambles, in Illinois and what i came up with on my 450 was to go all the way soft on the compression in the forks and about 12 clicks out on the rebouund and 8 clicks for the compression on the shock and 12 out for rebound.

Now i realize im dealing with a whole new animal now and i have no prior experience with KTM. I've never sent my suspension off before to be revalved. But i can do all work myself like change seals and getting new springs.

So whats best to start with? ride the thing and see how i like it and then think about getting it revalved and new springs for my weight?

Or is the stock suspension good enough? 

I raced B last year and am moving up to A this year

Sorry to break this to you, but it sounds like you got the bad end of the deal. The guy should have given you 2k plus trade. Regardless, what is done, is done. Get the sag set/correct springs if need be. The open chambers that are on that bike have been around for awhile, so that is good for the tuning side of things. I had my stuff done by kreftmoto in Texas, nothing but praises for the work that he has done. Another place that is (just a guess) close to you is mx tech. I chose kreftmoto just for the attention to detail when I made my initial inquiry about work. I had called, asked a question or two and it ended up being an hour long phone conversation and we left it at that. I ended up calling him about two months later, and he pretty much remembered the whole conversation and had taken notes. Kudos for that, all I had to do is ship the forks and shock down to him, and they were back in my hands in about a week and a half later. Let me tell you, that guy can work wonders with the pds shock and the forks. Just letting you know about my experiences, his stuff works (and enduro engineering is 35 minutes from my house...).

Edited by orangyktmthing

Sorry to break this to you, but it sounds like you got the bad end of the deal. The guy should have given you 2k plus trade. Regardless, what is done, is done. Get the sag set/correct springs if need be. The open chambers that are on that bike have been around for awhile, so that is good for the tuning side of things. I had my stuff done by kreftmoto in Texas, nothing but praises for the work that he has done. Another place that is (just a guess) close to you is mx tech. I chose kreftmoto just for the attention to detail when I made my initial inquiry about work. I had called, asked a question or two and it ended up being an hour long phone conversation and we left it at that. I ended up calling him about two months later, and he pretty much remembered the whole conversation and had taken notes. Kudos for that, all I had to do is ship the forks and shock down to him, and they were back in my hands in about a week and a half later. Let me tell you, that guy can work wonders with the pds shock and the forks. Just letting you know about my experiences, his stuff works (and enduro engineering is 35 minutes from my house...).

haha no i didn't lose on the deal. trust me. Thanks for the advice though man . means a lot!

a KTM must have the right springs front n rear for your weight...that will not change even if you get a revalve...so, get the springs first and set sag correctly for a KTM and ride it...then decide what to do next. Also look into chain adjustment as part of the suspension issues for a KTM. The shock has a funky top out spring special adjustment and the forks may be the 3rd bushing variety so look into those things too

The shocks come pretty good from the factory and if the seals and bushings are not worn out (quite possible after 10 years) I would set her up to the factory recommended clicks and ride it. If you've raced you will know if the springs are right or not. The factory setting is the best place to start and where to return to when things get off track in both the jetting and shock department.

About the springs, it is about your riding style as much as your weight.

I find the MX springs for my weight too harsh for riding style.

For trail and enduro work I prefer a softer spring so I can use 90% of the suspension 90% of the time.

The occasional bottom out doesn't bother me. Your mileage may vary.

Steve