Yet another turn signal problem (Help)

So the problem is, when im riding my 2014 drz400sm, i'll notice that when im using my turn signal (left or right), the speed of the flasher is varying between slow flash and fast flash. Most of the time it is a slow flash, but randomly it will speed up fast flash and then back to slow again, this happens alternately every few seconds, its very inconsistent. So if I have a left turn signal on for example, the front left turn signal, the rear left turn signal, and even the turn signal indicator light on the instrument cluster will be doing the same inconsistent flash speed at the same time. Some things to note, I have installed a DRC Edge II integrated tail light setup with the 12 O'clock Labs Processor upgrade board using setting 4 Normal Blink (flash at the exact rate of the bikes flasher input), hooked up exactly in accordance to the instructions, this makes the ground wires of the rear turn signals obsolete, so they are left insulated and floating. I also have the side stand switch bypassed (uplugged the connectors, removed the switch, bridge together the leads). The only reason I mention that is because in my search for a thread on this topic I keep finding something called a "turn signal side stand relay", but I cant find any clear information on what exactly it is and whether or not its related to my issue. Charging the battery to full using a trickle charger, it seems to make this problem occur slightly less often (more consistent fast blink which is what I want and what I believe its supposed to do), but it could be in my head, im not sure, either way I cant diagnose the problem, it happens every time I get on the bike. My buddy has the same EXACT setup as I do (2014 drz400sm with drc edge II and upgrade board) and his flashers remain consistent (fast flash). The only way his bike is different is that he has not had his side-stand switch bypassed yet....Any ideas? Its driving me mad

Haha I get what your saying but I am all about my safety, so i'd like an actual fix. Also im a little OCD when I comes to my bike, a problem like this just really bugs me, I need to find out what could be wrong.

I know they sell a relay that allows the flashers to flash at a normal rate. Perhaps your stock electrical system just isn't responding well to your turn signals. 

http://www.solomotoparts.com/DRC-MotoLED-IC-Relay/?gclid=CjwKEAjwrNeiBRD3goG_1s-0_XMSJADuGQQcw_gnQSdr8E2OYi6Ovh6WYdYn8Tng8fa9osOeTwYCPhoCCgDw_wcB

This is the relay. I was about to buy it for my bike, but I decided not to since mine do not flash too fast, but flash faster then before. I find that it gets people's attention more. But I understand that the inconsistency that you're experiencing is bothering you! I bet this would fix your problem. 

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking about that option, but then thought it strange that the ENTIRE turn signals system is flash inconsistently in unison, the front, rear, AND indicator light. I only installed LED turn signals to the rear (front turn signals are stock), and being the DRC Edge II 12 O'clock labs upgrade board, im pretty sure the LED relay isn't required with that application as the rear turn signal flash speed is controlled by the processor board (except on setting 4, which I use, which uses the flasher speed input from the bikes turn signal system). And as I mentioned, my friends bike has the same sort of setup and he has no issues. The only way my bike differs from his electrically is that I by passed my side-stand switch, but I just cant fathom how that could cause this issue. I cant fathom it at all really, I don't even comprehend how it's possible.

That's your problem, you only installed LED on the rear so it is an uneven load. I don't know why but I have seen this issue before and that's likely what's wrong.

Put some LED signal on front and I bet they will all blink fast or blink normal.

Plus you get rid of the big factory signals.

Yea you may be right. I was planning on getting new front turn signals soon anyways, you just inspired me, thanks for the idea dirtdude. I'll report back in a week or so with results.... Oh and to add one more thing to the thread while im at it, if the bike/ignition has been off for awhile, then I proceed to turn ON the ignition (not the engine) and then turn on the turn signal, everything works fine, I get the normal fast blink on all turn signals. I can switch back and forth a couple times between left and right, and all will seem normal, until I continue changing back and forth, after about ten times or so, as I continue switching, i'll notice a hesitation, one or two slow flashes then it will return to fast flash. It seems the longer I keep this up, the more prominent the hesitations are, and after I start the engine and wait a few moments (still switching back and forth), the hesitations are much more noticeable and even start to become more fond of the slow flashes. By the way, what im referring to as a "slow flash" is about the speed of a typical cars turn signal, "fast flash" being the speed of what I would assume most motorcycles have (about twice the speed of "slow flash"). Hope this helps someone who experiences the same issue im having.... Oh and I just thought of something, though getting led front turn signals is a good idea, it still doesn't explain why my friends bike isn't having the same issue as mine, as he also has the stock front turn signals... interesting

Edited by nevermindpulse

That's your problem. Can't have LED and incandescent bulbs mixed on the sane circuit. They have difference resistance levels and it's messing with the circuit. Get the same ones as you have in the back and your problem will be solved.

Thanks for the help guys, I would've never thought that was the problem, I could've swore it was working fine before, I guess I just never noticed it till now. I have some cheap ebay LED's on the way, they look promising, I'll report back with my progess.

• 2 weeks later...

I put on my new front led turn signals, so now I have led's front and rear, seems to have fixed my sporadic flashing problems, so that's good. The only other concern I have now is, when I turn on one of the turn signals, the turn signal indicator light on the instrument cluster is different. Now, it will flash with the turn signals, but there is also and underlying steady green light. I assume there are 2 separate green lights, one of them is steady and one of them flashes. It's the same symptom you get one there is only one signal in the circuit, for example if I disconnected the front turn signal completely. Is this normal for replacing the stock signals with led's? I guess it's just something i'll have to live with. Im sure the led relay would fix the problem, but I like the fast flashing, so I don't want to sacrifice that.

That's your problem, you only installed LED on the rear so it is an uneven load. I don't know why but I have seen this issue before and that's likely what's wrong.

Put some LED signal on front and I bet they will all blink fast or blink normal.

Plus you get rid of the big factory signals.

Same exact thing happened to me when I was Halfvies

Check out the Youtubes?! https://www.youtube.com/AnonymousBlackX