Be warned. Manual cam chain adjustment disaster. pic

DSC00428.JPG

This is my 2011 450sxf chain tension rubbing block about 4 hours after I installed the DJH manual tensioner.  I'm not blaming the product, I obviously over adjusted it, just want to let others know what the outcome of poor adjustment might look like.  I will be replacing this and the chain. I suggest that installing the tensioner is best done with the value cover off, engine off and using visual verification that the tensioner is correctly engaged with the rubbing block, then a final adjustment can be made once the bike is assembled and running.

Edited by speedbump49

always install a manual adjuster just as you install the oem adjuster , with the cover off ,crank on tdc with cam timming marks o.k.. check the chain tension between the cams and feel the chain have a little freeplay up and down . believe me , we over here in europe use tha manual tensioner from 2006 and up and now how to install it .

I have the same tensioner and if I remember right they recommend turning it out until you hear noise then back in some amount.  I tried that and it didn't work for me.  Instead, I've used the method from the poster above and it has worked really well for me.  I get about 7-8 rides before needing to pull the cover to check it...