Carb Cleaning Help for the Occasionally Abandoned Bike

'03 S with the Mikuni. Because life happens the bike has been sitting for like a year. I've had to clean the jets before so knew I had to dig in. Tore it down and this time it's really gunked up...the float screw is hardly recognizable. I was going to buy the James Dean jets ... wondering what others have done and any recommendations on what to buy/replace vs clean to get rolling again since I'm in there.

I use Stabil...I know the answer is to ride more as these bikes don't sit well...but any other suggestions for what to do when it does?

Simply clean what you have.  Replace the O ring on the float valve, 5/16 ID by 1/16 section. At some point it may need a new float needle when the rubber tip goes bad.  Unless you want to change jetting, there is no reason to buy the JD jet kit.

I hear good things about StarTron gas stabilizer and if you have the opportunity use alcohol free gas.  Or even better is low lead aviation gas for storage.

I have James Dean & Dyno jet kits, I would recommend the James Dean kit. While you're in there I would also recommend a Moose carb rebuild kit $40. Next time try this Sea Foam might be better.

+1 for being organized,  and another +1 for seafoam,   seafoam keeps errthing nice and clean,   what you can also do,  is when you are done riding,  turn the petcock off like a block away from home,  so when you get home,  you use up all the fuel in the carb and it stays empty. 

• Like 1