How to winterize drz?

Should you really drain the gas from the carb? I know this is a controversial topic, but I thought if you drained the carb then the seals would dry out or something like that. Im pretty sure some people out there will tell you to drain the carb, mix stabilizer in gas, then fill carb back up with stabilized gas. Not sure though, any professional opinions?

Should you really drain the gas from the carb? I know this is a controversial topic, but I thought if you drained the carb then the seals would dry out or something like that. Im pretty sure some people out there will tell you to drain the carb, mix stabilizer in gas, then fill carb back up with stabilized gas. Not sure though, any professional opinions?

mix a tank full of 32:1 and run the bike for a few minutes to get it circulated. 

in the spring you can drain it and run the weedeater off it. the bike will be just like it is today. 

• Add marine StaBil and fill up fuel tank
  • Ride for a bit (to get treated fuel into carb bowl and warm up oil)
  • Change oil/filter
  • Wash bike
  • Clean/oil air filter
  • Lube chain
  • Add air to tires (max pressure, prevent flat spotting)

.... let bike sit in garage ALL winter :(  Occasionally attach battery tender.

• Like 1

So what's the purpose of getting the tires off the ground? Sorry if it's a dumb question, it's my first bike

Prevents them from "flat spotting" or deforming the sidewalls if they lose some air.  Also keeps them from touching any other chemicals that might be spilled on the floor of your garage.

Honestly though - it's not required for a short winter, but is recommended.  I spent a year overseas for Uncle Sam twice, and my 700lb Harley sat for almost a year each time.  Put in some fuel stabilizer, drained the carb, and put it on a battery tender.  Started up after it got fuel into the carb, and the tires were fine, but I had a friend checking it once a month to ensure they didn't lose air.

The seals on your carb aren't going to "dry" up during the winter.

The seals are just rubber o-rings. Nothing special to them.

I would drain the carb of non-winter gas, and leave the carb dry.

If you have an FCR, turn off the fuel, drain the carb and give the throttle a half dozen or so twists to the fuel out of the pump.

Try to start it to burn off that last bit of fuel. Should just burp a couple times.

Then again, last year, all I did was toss some Stabil into a fresh jug of gas, topped up the fuel, and ran it for a bit.

My bike only sat two months (november to january) until I got my studded tires and went ice racing.

Bryan Killa Bee, on 04 Nov 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

I heard stabil turns into a gel and you have to clean the gas tank. Lines and carb. Is it true? I was told by a friend who's a sae mechanic

Not much experience with the stuff myself, but the purpose of fuel stabilizer l is to help keep the gasoline from evaporating as much and forming deposits in the bottom of your fuel tank and carb. I have a bottle of Pro Honda Fuel Stabilizer and Corrosion Inhibitor and it suggests that it helps keep gasoline fresh for up to 12 months. I would guess the if the stabilizer WERE to turn to gel, it would probably take a long time, long after the recommended 12 month shelf life.

Not that it gets that cold down in Australia land, but anything I own that has petrol and oil in it is always started and run up operating temp every 3 to 4 weeks to keep everything ready to go for the next time it gets pulled out of the garage.

This includes, chainsaws, brush cutter, outboard on the boat, leaf blower, the SM, the quad, the kids quad, lawn mower and the generator.

Something about starting up a motor and letting it run for a while, it usually gets my neighbours doing the same thing once the guys smell the petrol and exhaust fumes, think its a bloke thing......  ? or its a case of I can be louder than you, 

Edited by Dukejet1
  • Like 1

Not that it gets that cold down in Australia land, but anything I own that has petrol and oil in it is always started and run up operating temp every 3 to 4 weeks to keep everything ready to go for the next time it gets pulled out of the garage.

This includes, chainsaws, brush cutter, outboard on the boat, leaf blower, the SM, the quad, the kids quad, lawn mower and the generator.

Something about starting up a motor and letting it run for a while, it usually gets my neighbours doing the same thing once the guys smell the petrol and exhaust fumes, think its a bloke thing......  ? or its a case of I can be louder than you, 

And the burning smell of Golden Spectro !   ?

• Like 2

I heard stabil turns into a gel and you have to clean the gas tank. Lines and carb. Is it true? I was told by a friend who's a sae mechanic

I used stabile last winter in my DRZ, it sat for 5 months I believe. When I took it out of storage this spring it started right up on the first push of the magic button  ?

• Like 1

hmm, no.

stabil won't harm a thing, it's designed to -stabillize fuel- after all. 

two stroke oil will do that same thing. 

i wouldn't drain carbs anymore in this day of corn in the fuel. i'd add 32:1 premix, and leave it topped off full. then, drain it in the spring and use it in the weedeater.