2006 CR125 - TMX w/ JD kit or PWK conversion?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered. I searched and didn't yeild any results.

I've got a 2006 CR125 I've got a month ago and it runs good once warm, but revs really high when it's first started but runs really crisp when warm.  

Anywho, I'm somewhat new to smokers and don't want to deal with the fine adjustments of the typical TMX (so far I haven't had to touch it). My question is should I switch to a PWK and be done with it or should I stay TMX with the JD multi tapered needles?

Used about 50/50 in both MX track and woods riding

either one of those carbs you will never be "done with it"

buy a lectron if you want the least amount of hassling with the jetting. I can pretty much guarantee out of the box you will never have to touch it.

I know a lot of people will probably disagree but I ran mine on my 97 and my 03 and have only ever had to turn it a 1/4 turn 1 time.

The downside is they are expensive. 

Yah I really only want to rid the bike of having to adjust the carb everyday like some people have talked about on here, which seems to be the stock needles fault on the Mikuni carb. The multi tapered JD needles are highly talked about and If I only have to rejet it every season, that would be ideal..

I am mechanically inclined, I'm just looking for the best path to take.. either go the PWK route or keep the TMX and get the JD kit with better needles.

Does anybody have experience with either??

Edited by chronicsmoke

The radial slide Mikuni is a good carb on the 125, the JD works great. The Keihin isn't anything special on the 125.

Cant confirm, I made the change and the difference was almost night and day.

Dialing in the Mikuni is a pain in the b......, Keihin was almost spot on I use a 250 00 without TPS.

With standard yets it was a bit lean on top.

Other than that everything worked for me.

With the Keihin the engine seems a lot crisper, engine reacts on any movement on the throttle immediate. 

With the Mikuni and weeks of jetting it was good in the morning but 2 hours later it was messed up.

My advise if you find a nice and cheap one go for it its worth a try.

Cant confirm, I made the change and the difference was almost night and day.

Dialing in the Mikuni is a pain in the b......, Keihin was almost spot on I use a 250 00 without TPS.

With standard yets it was a bit lean on top.

Other than that everything worked for me.

With the Keihin the engine seems a lot crisper, engine reacts on any movement on the throttle immediate. 

With the Mikuni and weeks of jetting it was good in the morning but 2 hours later it was messed up.

My advise if you find a nice and cheap one go for it its worth a try.

glad it worked for ya, I tried the Keihin after much hype and found it wasn't all that(IMO). The Mik is standard on all recent 125s with the exception of the KTM and it seems to work well on most of them. It seems like once someone mentions a carb exchange, then people go for it. It was like that on Huskies too... never hear of this on the other Asian 125s however. All that said, would I have switched the Kehin that came stock on my '12 Kato 125 for a Mikuni? No, I wouldn't.

Edited by DEMI