Need advice for track riding!

Hey guys, i need help yesterday was the first time ive ever ridden a track in my life and when i started the day i was nervous. it was also my first time hitting a real jump. after about an hour of hitting a jump and bouncing all over the place i finally grew some nut and hammered it over the jumps and was clearing them perfectly it was the most fun ive had in a while trails really bore me after about an hour but what i need advice on is cornering everytime igo into a corner i feel like im gonna go straight off the track and after slowing down to a good speed for me to turn its not fast enough to clear the jump any tips would be great thanks guys and also i ride a 250 smoker

I also ride a 250. now I am very bad at riding a track but this advice goes for almost everything just keep practicing and youll just keep getting faster youll learn when to brake and when to let on the throttle just practice as much as you can!

Your question is just too general for a proper answer. Every corner is different even on the same day. Best advise I can offer is go to a riding school and then practice what you are taught there. It is easy to pick up bad habits that must be unlearned. My #1 advice to new riders wanting to pick up the pace is to keep your head up always. Look where you want to be next, not the space in front of your tire (where you are now). Feel the bike under you to know what it is doing. don't waste your focus staring at it. Looking ahead slows everything down.

Paul

Your question is just too general for a proper answer. Every corner is different even on the same day. Best advise I can offer is go to a riding school and then practice what you are taught there. It is easy to pick up bad habits that must be unlearned. My #1 advice to new riders wanting to pick up the pace is to keep your head up always. Look where you want to be next, not the space in front of your tire (where you are now). Feel the bike under you to know what it is doing. don't waste your focus staring at it. Looking ahead slows everything down.

Paul

This is very good advice... Look ahead where you want to go, not where you are.  Feel what the bike is doing. You will react faster than seeing it.  Stay loose on the bike ( I know, easier said than done).

• 4 weeks later...

the best way to increase corner speed is to spend a couple of hours a day doing figure 8's, you can really hone your techniqe.  They are a great drill for the winter when its too cold to do regular riding. You actually work up a sweat!

• Like 2

• Experts

There's much more you need to know in order to improve your corner speed than can be explained in a few paragraphs. Here's part of it. If you're serious about improving get one or both of the DVDs or Streams at the end of this post. 

Understanding the secrets below will enable you to have a lot more speed and control into and through the corners. Most times what you think you know isn't enough. Many times the rest of what you need to know has been right there the entire time...you just didn't recognize it.

The most critical part of the corner is at the transition. What is the transition? It's where you go from controlling the bike with the brakes to controlling it with the clutch and throttle. There can't be any coasting between. You go from braking to accelerating. How simple is that? Now that you know it you will easily and consistently be doing it correctly at a slow pace, then you can start adding speed to it. Once you have it down you will be amazed how much faster your corners will be.

Here's an example to help you understand just how easy this secret is applied. When entering a corner if you coast between braking and accelerating you give up a lot of your control because the brakes give you over 50% of your control. The way you must compensate for this lose of control is to slow down. But at the same time if you don't enter the corner fast enough you don't need to ride the brakes longer and harder. In another example lets say you enter the corner faster but then brake too hard. If you hit the front brake too hard you may knife the front wheel and/or slide it out. Rear brake to hard...kill the engine...slide out and so on.  Not braking hard enough isn't going to work either as you will over shoot the corner. This is why it's vital to get very skilled at controlling the brakes while you are feeling what's needed. Riding with more control is way more fun.

As you're within several feet of the transition this braking control could be maintaining a light touch of both the front and rear brakes as you begin to transfer to the clutch and throttle. In other conditions it maybe a lot more aggressive braking before more aggressive clutch and throttle control. Then there is the entire range between feathering the brakes and locking them up. Again, you have to control the brakes as you are feeling what is needed not only to slow down but to control the bike...making it do exactly what you want it to do...hold the same angle, cut shorter, go wider, steer with the rear wheel, with the front wheel. It's all done with the brakes and your body movements. Improving as you're practicing is an awesome feeling.

Just knowing and understanding this is good but it's only the first step. You have to know how to practice it in order to eventually do it automatically at full speed. It has to be programmed into your subconscious mind...into your automatic reflex reactions. The only way for this to happen is to repeat the process correctly through repetition and to repeat it frequently. Every time you ride be mindful of it and feel the improvements.

If you want to feel massive improvements riding your dirt bike purchasing my "Motocross Braking Techniques DVD or Stream" is a very small investment that will bring priceless results:  http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-2-motocross-braking-techniques

Gary; thanks for your personal help throughout my career. Your methods and strategies made my practice and training time much more effective. (Jeremy McGrath)

"Motocross Corner Speed - Beyond the Basics": http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-2/dvd-4-motocross-corner-speed

VO3 #2 Braking Techs.jpg
VO2 DVD #4 cover.jpg