Woodruff Key Size Chart

I have a dilemma regarding trying to cross reference woodruff keys. I sheared mine on my 2002 YZ250 for the flywheel and the part number is 90280-03017-00 but I am unable to find the size specs (length,width,height) for this so I can try and find one locally for under a dollar instead of buying one online for over $2.00 and having to pay for shipping on top of that. Ebay was more expensive than buying from Partzilla. I went to AutoZone and O'Reilly Auto Parts and they had a small box of about four or five for $4.00 and I eyeballed only one in the package, without opening it, that looked like it would come close to fitting, however it looked just ever so slightly smaller. I decided against this purchase in favor of getting the opinion of the masses. Do any of you wise fellows of the Thumper Talk community have any knowledge to the dimensions of this woodruff key? Whoever responds back receives the honorary recognition award and a virtual case of beer. Thanks to all participants.

3mm X 17mm

It is in the part number.

Never use a too small a key. In a pinch, you can file down an over size one. In any case, order the correct part. Do not slowly create a franken bike. Doing so is what over time causes a bike to run poorly and not have a definitive reason (other than a mish-mash of parts).

3mm X 17mm

Never use a too small a key. In a pinch, you can file down an over size one. In any case, order the correct part. Do not slowly create a franken bike. Doing so is what over time causes a bike to run poorly and not have a definitive reason (other than a mish-mash of parts).

We can always count on you for an answer! You are a valuable resource to the community and I would have never had known that the size was part of the part number. Where do you find that information out? What is the depth since that is not listed in the number?

3mm X 17mm

I just measured the groove length on the crankshaft where the woodruff key would go in and there is no possible way that it would have been longer than 12mm at the most. 

It is not a square key, it is a 'moon' key. 17mm at its' longest. Notice the keyway in the crank. It is not a broached square slot, it is scalloped out. Look at item 15 in the diagram: I imagine many bikes do use the same size key.

51639_crankshaftpiston.gif

Yep, that slot is what I measured and that is no longer than about 12mm and 3mm wide. I don't know the depth. 

Yep, that slot is what I measured and that is no longer than about 12mm and 3mm wide. I don't know the depth. 

You do not understand. The key only fits in about 1/2 way, the rest of the 'moon' sits above/overhangs the cutout and 'keys' into the flywheel.

Google the part number, you;ll see many inages of it partially installed.