XT is definitely in the play bike category and they just say it's for beginner market to differentiate from FR.  If you look into the specs, weight and wheel base, the difference is FR is closer to a trials and XT is closer to a dirt bike.  However, I've never saddle over an FR yet, so that's just my guess.

There's a lot of space between competition trials bikes and competition oriented cross-country/enduro bikes, and it seems to me from watching the FR videos that KTM tuned the engine to be about a third of the distance from trials, and the chassis to be about halfway. The XT, from pictures and specs, looks like the engine is about midway and the chassis is about a third of the way from the x-c/enduro end, which is exactly what I have been wanting for years in a well-finished production bike.

• Like 2

Beta says "entry level" I think "exit level". This will be the last dirt bike I try to use. I am starting to listen to what my body says (damn it).

Friend is getting one, 70+yo trail hound and masters class enduro rider. Another friends wants one for his gal, she rides well on a 200 now. Heck I want one. LOL.

• Like 5

There's a lot of space between competition trials bikes and competition oriented cross-country/enduro bikes, and it seems to me from watching the FR videos that KTM tuned the engine to be about a third of the distance from trials, and the chassis to be about halfway. The XT, from pictures and specs, looks like the engine is about midway and the chassis is about a third of the way from the x-c/enduro end, which is exactly what I have been wanting for years in a well-finished production bike.

Yep, I was checking out the FR and X-ride when I saw the news about XT. After a quick comparison, I proceed to convince my wife that this is it and ordered one.  The hard part is that I'm still waiting.  When can I start to play?????

• Like 1

I could not agree more!

• Like 1

My friend just bought a KTM freestyle . I sat on it it seemed small for me I'm 6.0 he is 5.9 . he loves the bike compared to his ktm 200 . I will.consider the beta when it comes out early summer. Wonder if it can be dual sported with a plate does anyone know ?

Depends on your state. Betas are world bikes and come with lights, switchgear and loom. Add brake light, and turn signals, and you're done, except, maybe, DOT tires.

That's what's nice about AZ.    I recently bought a KDX220 in Oregon but didn't change the title until I got to AZ for the winter.   Walked in with the title, signed an affidavit that I understood what the street legal requirements were, and walked out with a regular plate and an off road sticker for $33.75!!!   I jumped back into a 2T as an experiment since I'm about to turn 70.   I still have 4T's (Husaberg FE450) but hadn't owned a 2T for 40 years.   Had I known that the Beta XT was coming out, I might have waited ?   In the meantime, I'm still trying to sort the KDX out.

• Like 3

That's what's nice about AZ.    I recently bought a KDX220 in Oregon but didn't change the title until I got to AZ for the winter.   Walked in with the title, signed an affidavit that I understood what the street legal requirements were, and walked out with a regular plate and an off road sticker for $33.75!!!   I jumped back into a 2T as an experiment since I'm about to turn 70.   I still have 4T's (Husaberg FE450) but hadn't owned a 2T for 40 years.   Had I known that the Beta XT was coming out, I might have waited ?   In the meantime, I'm still trying to sort the KDX out.

Good for you.  In CO, the hardest part is to get the state patrol to inspect the bike.  Must call on Monday morning to schedule inspection.  If they fill up the slots, you'll have to call again next Monday.  Or if the person making appoints is out, you'll have to wait till the Monday after the person comes back because that's the ONLY person can do the job  ?

...except to get through the DMV inspection :-)

Nope, not in TX. No blinkers required either. My XR4 has a brake light only, nothing else. A good relationship with the inspector helps along with not riding thru the middle of town. Never tease the devil!

Edited by YHGEORGE
  • Like 2

Kawasaki should still  be making this motorcycle. I built a KX 220 a couple years ago. I found a 2005 KX125 with a trashed engine and a KDX 200 with a trashed frame and ruined cylinder. I was able to have the cylinder bored to 220 and replated and installation in the KX chassis is pretty straight forward, not absolutely drop in but close. It was fun but Someone came along and offered me a price and I took it.