40 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

A bump to bring this thread back to life. So what happened, is there less excitement about the X-Trainer? Is the Beta 200 cutting into X-Trainer sales?

Well the 125 and the 200 got added so there are  more choices to choose from. That waters down individual model sales maybe?The counterbalancer is added so the Xtrainer ought to be better. I think it’s ugly with its current color scheme but can change to white or red plastics. Xtrainer is better than ever I think. It’s just what Beta one prefers. 

• Like 1

I saw my local dealer had a 350 and a 200rr and told him i would decide after I did the Beta Demo in Illinois. I decided there the 200 and the 350 were my favorites in that order but when I got to the dealer he only had a 19 X-Trainer left but at a great closeout price. Now hoping I don"t regret getting the X-Trainer instead of waiting for a 200.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 5:27 PM, Harry Potter said:

I saw my local dealer had a 350 and a 200rr and told him i would decide after I did the Beta Demo in Illinois. I decided there the 200 and the 350 were my favorites in that order but when I got to the dealer he only had a 19 X-Trainer left but at a great closeout price. Now hoping I don"t regret getting the X-Trainer instead of waiting for a 200.

The Xtrainer is a great bike for its intended purpose - low speed technical trail riding. Plenty of power and loads of fun to ride. 

I'm picking up a new 2020 Beta 200RR this weekend. Now hoping I dont regret getting the 200 instead of keeping the Xtrainer! 

1227191131 1.jpg

0321181540.jpg

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, MarantzManiac said:

The Xtrainer is a great bike for its intended purpose - low speed technical trail riding. Plenty of power and loads of fun to ride. 

I'm picking up a new 2020 Beta 200RR this weekend. Now hoping I dont regret getting the 200 instead of keeping the Xtrainer! 

1227191131 1.jpg

0321181540.jpg

I don’t think you will. Only thing I’d say for the Xtrainer would be the way tighter turning radius . Maybe for tight technical woods stuff you might notice . Both are good. It’s just another different Beta flavor.  I’d like a 200 rr too now also but I got way too many motorcycles as it is . Hard to justify a 4th Beta.. lol.    Who knows though.. if a deal comes up???

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

17 hours ago, MarantzManiac said:

The Xtrainer is a great bike for its intended purpose - low speed technical trail riding. 

No offense intended, but I can't help but laugh or grimace every time someone trots this statement out as an excuse for Beta's decision to build the Xtrainer using inexpensive lightweight suspension components borrowed from their trials bike parts bin.  I'm not picking on you so much as the notion that Beta chose this particular combination of engine, gearbox, and suspension because they thought it delivered the optimal riding experience for any level of rider. 

If anything, Beta's intended purpose was to keep costs low to attract new cost-conscious riders lacking the experience to appreciate the inferior riding experience.  Beta hasn't helped by releasing a steady stream of marketing content claiming "top-notch rideability" and that the Xtrainer is somehow the ideal platform for newer riders to build skills on.  IMHO if anything the opposite is true, as new riders lack the skills to compensate for the poor suspension.

Beta has never claimed a specific intended use regarding terrain or speed, or that the Xtrainer wasn't designed to take full advantage of it's 6-speed wide-ratio gearbox.  When it was first introduced in 2015 Beta initially positioned the Xtrainer as "the only true “all-around” enduro bike in the market. It is the perfect bike for riders who wish to play ride without the intimidation of a full size enduro machine or for the expert rider looking to enhance their technical skills."

Now with the 2020 release they're claiming "The new Xtrainer’s outstanding qualities such as excellent engine response and top-notch rideability provide high performances being at same time easy to handle, ensuring riders can cope confidently with whatever the situation demands.  This is why the Xtrainer MY 2020 is also the best bike available for all those who want to enter the world of Extreme Enduro."

I think most of us with significant seat time on the bike know that the reality is somewhere in the middle, depending in part on your intended purpose for it.  But with a proper enduro suspension the Xtrainer is a high-performance hard enduro or woods riding weapon, and is otherwise on par in design and build quality with the RR for that kind of riding.  In some situations it's even better, which is why I'm still on mine after 300+ hours.  It's a shame that Beta doesn't recognize that and offer an Xtrainer Race Edition or similar.

That's my unsolicited take on it anyway.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, wwguy said:

...with a proper enduro suspension the Xtrainer is a high-performance hard enduro or woods riding weapon, and is otherwise on par in design and build quality with the RR for that kind of riding.  In some situations it's even better, which is why I'm still on mine after 300+ hours.  It's a shame that Beta doesn't recognize that and offer an Xtrainer Race Edition or similar....

+1 here.

However, it seems like the 200RR has put some people on the fence who might have jumped at an XT RE if there were one. For me, the best of both of those worlds would be a near-200# 200XT with 300XT-like proportions and geometry, even if I had to mod suspension and engine characteristics to my needs the way you have built yourself a finely tailored XT, specific to your needs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Old Plonker said:

+1 here.

However, it seems like the 200RR has put some people on the fence who might have jumped at an XT RE if there were one. For me, the best of both of those worlds would be a near-200# 200XT with 300XT-like proportions and geometry, even if I had to mod suspension and engine characteristics to my needs the way you have built yourself a finely tailored XT, specific to your needs.

Yeah I agree with you. A 200 X Trainer option would be the hot ticket. 

This is where the Gasgas Ranger would have been a great fit with a 200 and 300 available with 46mm KYB'S and smaller chassis. We'll see what KTM does with the Ranger now that they are the majority ownership. 

I always enjoy riding my buddies X Trainer and take it for what it is, not try to force it to be something it's not. There's a miriad of options with it. 

Guys who want a detuned, smaller 300 could easily just buy a regular 300rr and have the suspension lowered, neuter it with PV spring, jetting, and X Trainer pipe and you'd have what you need. 

You could do the same with the 200rr as well minus the X Trainer pipe. 

I'll never understand complaining about manufacturers not building niche bikes to meet every little tiny portion of the riding spectrum.

Beta offers 2 bikes (X Trainer and 200) that absolutely no other manufacturer has available which is awesome. They also offer a 125 factory dualsport which no one else has either. Beta has hand's down the most versatile line up in the industry. 

Guys should be able to modify to suit specific needs easily rather than expect a manufacturer to produce a bike that only a handful of people will ride. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wwguy said:

No offense intended, but I can't help but laugh or grimace every time someone trots this statement out as an excuse for Beta's decision to build the Xtrainer using inexpensive lightweight suspension components borrowed from their trials bike parts bin.  I'm not picking on you so much as the notion that Beta chose this particular combination of engine, gearbox, and suspension because they thought it delivered the optimal riding experience for any level of rider.....

No offence taken however  I think we are saying the same thing.... The Xtrainer is in a class of its own and is a great trail bike with woods weapon potential. No doubt I could have upgraded the suspension and improved stability in faster sections..... That is what many owners like you have done and been completely satisfied. There is no right or wrong answer.

I've enjoyed this bike tremendously over last 2 years. I'm ready to try something new in the Beta family. I'm also looking forward to comparing it with the 200rr and reaching my own conclusions.  In the end we all ride to have fun with friends, enjoy the great outdoors and improve our skills. Carry on!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Most sincerely dead. 

Could well be. We shall see. They don't have the Freeride any longer or a 200, so possibility they might want to get back into that market with the Ranger already in production outside the US. 

Side note: Laia Sanz is riding the Dakar for GasGas this year. It's a KTM 450 Rally with GasGas plastics. She's a factory KTM rider, from Spain. That's interesting to me. 

4 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Could well be. We shall see. They don't have the Freeride any longer or a 200, so possibility they might want to get back into that market with the Ranger already in production outside the US. 

Side note: Laia Sanz is riding the Dakar for GasGas this year. It's a KTM 450 Rally with GasGas plastics. She's a factory KTM rider, from Spain. That's interesting to me. 

Personally I'd be hesitant to purchase a Gas Gas model now. Who knows what plans KTM has for their Enduro models as they already have Husky. They probably got a fire sale deal literally & test waters in the trials biz to compete with Beta, Sherco and Honda (Montessa). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MarantzManiac said:

Personally I'd be hesitant to purchase a Gas Gas model now. Who knows what plans KTM has for their Enduro models as they already have Husky. They probably got a fire sale deal literally & test waters in the trials biz to compete with Beta, Sherco and Honda (Montessa). 

Yeah, most definitely I wouldn't touch a GasGas right now and I've owned 4. 

KTM only 60% ownership, so a different scenario than the Husky and Husaberg situations, but KTM had several directions they could go. 

Personally, I'd like to see KTM keep the trials portion the same and use the enduro portion to continue production of some of the niche bikes discussed. Maybe even collaborate with Torrot on a true electric dirt bike. 

Lots of options including just doing what they did with Husky. 

8 minutes ago, MarantzManiac said:

Gasgas is done. It’s red ktm’s now. KTM is selling the old gasgas stock.. at least from some Gasgas threads.But whatever. This is Beta land and it’s great that Beta is a solid company. 

xtrainer is great stock. It’s perfect for what it’s designed for. . If one wants another sliver of Beta then get another model. 

• Like 2

@Old PlonkerPlonker

Hey, just thinking about options for light weight smaller woods bikes. 

The new YZ125X is getting excellent reviews and has really impressed with it's low end grunt for a 125. Yamaha has done an excellent job with the porting and you can ride it a gear high without revving it out very effectively in the woods. 

With a lowered suspension you'd have yourself a pretty killer package as you get the best suspension package in the industry. 

The only negative is no electric start, but throw in a Rekluse and the electric start becomes leas of a necessity. 

It's be a cool project building a little 125X small woods weapon! 

16 minutes ago, firffighter said:

@Old PlonkerPlonker

The new YZ125X is getting excellent reviews and has really impressed with it's low end grunt for a 125. Yamaha has done an excellent job with the porting and you can ride it a gear high without revving it out very effectively in the woods. 

With a lowered suspension you'd have yourself a pretty killer package as you get the best suspension package in the industry. 

The only negative is no electric start, but throw in a Rekluse and the electric start becomes leas of a necessity. 

A Rekluse would absolutely fail on a 125. You still gotta fan the clutch. They’re not that prone to stalling and simple to kickstart. 

16 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

A Rekluse would absolutely fail on a 125. You still gotta fan the clutch. They’re not that prone to stalling and simple to kickstart. 

Possibly. Fail pretty strong statement. 

Plenty of guys ran them on the Husky WR125's without issues and good results. 

Popular choice for guys with KTM 150's in the woods as well. 

Edited by firffighter

40 minutes ago, firffighter said:

@Old PlonkerPlonker

Mr. Firf, thank you. Great minds think alike.

The YZX is one of three bikes on my short list (along with 300XT and 200RR). The kicker is not a problem on a 125 2t. And I'm with Shrub on the Rekluse: I have one on my 150RB and ride it like it wasn't even there (the bike wouldn't run clean under 5,000rpm which is why I went with the Rekluse, but that's taken care of now so it seems redundant). As an old trials rider I'm always covering the clutch anyway. 

If I did the XT I'd do @kawagumby's YZ125 fork transplant anyway, so suspension would essentially be the same.

In Colorado you could plate a burro if it had lights and a horn, so finding juice and doing a little wiring should get a YZX past the DMV. And suspension lowering would just be part of the revalve process. Not a whole lot else needed, at least to start.

Edited by Old Plonker
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1