You were there at the right time and the right place for the closing out of a dirtbike company..That doesn't happen very often and I doubt it will come again like that with any companies I can see in the near future. You can't go wrong for the price.. I always wanted to try riding one of those.

My argument to the wife was "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it". :smirk: 

However, I have been seeing a few for sale used and they don't sell for much so they can still be had for a lower price than others. Anyway, back to the Beta freeride discussion. 

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/4743497555.html

• Like 1

How was it not good? What kind of adjustment did you do with it? My 13' 300 rr that I got from scotty worked great. I can't imagine what was so wrong.. but I'm guessing for one I'm a lot bigger and heavier than you. I'm figuring there would be some adjustment for you somewhere.

My KTMs have all soaked up the rocks really well.   I've always liked .40 to .42 springs up front.  The Beta came with .42 I think, and I tried a lot of different comp and rebound settings, even messed with the oil level a bit.   Never did it feel even close to as plush as my stock 13 and 14 200xcw's.    At first, the 250rr forks felt too stiff; after they broke in, they felt too soft.   A friend had a '13 300rr, with springs appropriate for his weight 200lbs.   He thought it was good; then he borrowed my 300xc that had 2007 KTM forks on it which were sprung and valved for my weight 155lbs, he LOVED them compared to his Beta.  

Like I said, all fixable with $ to give to Stillwell Suspension.

• Like 1

My KTMs have all soaked up the rocks really well.   I've always liked .40 to .42 springs up front.  The Beta came with .42 I think, and I tried a lot of different comp and rebound settings, even messed with the oil level a bit.   Never did it feel even close to as plush as my stock 13 and 14 200xcw's.    At first, the 250rr forks felt too stiff; after they broke in, they felt too soft.   A friend had a '13 300rr, with springs appropriate for his weight 200lbs.   He thought it was good; then he borrowed my 300xc that had 2007 KTM forks on it which were sprung and valved for my weight 155lbs, he LOVED them compared to his Beta.  

Like I said, all fixable with $ to give to Stillwell Suspension.

Wow .. see I've heard of other guys feeling their forks weren't as good as they should be but I never had any issues.I came from a gold valved racetech cr 250 honda and the stock Beta suspension felt as good or better right off the bat.  I think I put a stiffer rear spring on my 525 later and just rode the 13' 300 rr suspension and it was great.. later I put racetech goldvalves up front of my 525  just because it was time to service and I wanted an upgrade at the same time.. I always felt my first 2 Beta's were great. I'll see how this 15 300rr works with the break in.. I figure it ought to be better than the 13' and I liked that. I rode the stillwell suspended 250rr 13' that joe rode in the king of the motoz .. set up for someone 280lbs and that thing was great.. smooth and plush but still rode higher and still good to go fast. Still it didn't seem a hell of a lot better than my 13' 300.. I didn't ride it fast though.. just trail riding .. and I didn't go race pace.. but it did hookup awesome and worked great. It had a trials tire in back too. I had an almost new MT16 on the back of mine to compare... I'm not impressed yet with the trials tire.. but that's for another thread.. It wasn't my bike and I didn't want to push the bike in a way that I might have to pay to fix something I broke. I was riding polite. I'm going to get stiffer springs later and do the racetech gold thing etc later when it's service time .. I'll just see how everything works stock first of course. I guess I could go to stillwell but I've had great results with Joe and racetech at tiki so I'll just keep with what has worked well. Areyou going to do the scavenger hunt on Dec 28 at Kahuku?  The oboyz are making like it's going to be brutal. It's the first time I've heard of a race where they want you to find a partner to go through all the trails from the beginning!! It brings another dimension to it all for any carrying and pulling/pushing.. and I like the $2 entry fee. Classic!

https://www.facebook.com/oboyzracing

perfect to test the xtrainer!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Nice find.

They didn't really say anything that's not in the press release.

100kg.  :(

6000€.   

I wish it was more Trial then Enduro, but still interesting. 

Shame they don't import the Alp 4.0 to North America. 
I've always thought that bike would be popular over there. 

• Like 3

Nice find.

They didn't really say anything that's not in the press release.

100kg.  :(

6000€.   

I wish it was more Trial then Enduro, but still interesting. 

Shame they don't import the Alp 4.0 to North America. 

I've always thought that bike would be popular over there.

While quietly I was kinda hoping for the same, something a little closer to a true trials bike. But Beta DID bring forth a unique machine that I believe will be embraced by many.

And to some of those that have already complained that the price is too high, they should look to see what a decent 2014 Beta/GasGas/Ossa 280-300 sized Trials bike sells for in today's market here in north America. They sell for the same IF not more than what Beta is introducing this bike at. 

This fits a new kinda niche that has not been explored in the past. I am very proud of Beta for thinking "outside the box". 

I might have to look into one of these for myself!

Edited by MarkBevans
  • Like 2

Wow .. see I've heard of other guys feeling their forks weren't as good as they should be but I never had any issues.I came from a gold valved racetech cr 250 honda and the stock Beta suspension felt as good or better right off the bat.  I think I put a stiffer rear spring on my 525 later and just rode the 13' 300 rr suspension and it was great.. later I put racetech goldvalves up front of my 525  just because it was time to service and I wanted an upgrade at the same time.. I always felt my first 2 Beta's were great. I'll see how this 15 300rr works with the break in.. I figure it ought to be better than the 13' and I liked that. I rode the stillwell suspended 250rr 13' that joe rode in the king of the motoz .. set up for someone 280lbs and that thing was great.. smooth and plush but still rode higher and still good to go fast. Still it didn't seem a hell of a lot better than my 13' 300.. I didn't ride it fast though.. just trail riding .. and I didn't go race pace.. but it did hookup awesome and worked great. It had a trials tire in back too. I had an almost new MT16 on the back of mine to compare... I'm not impressed yet with the trials tire.. but that's for another thread.. It wasn't my bike and I didn't want to push the bike in a way that I might have to pay to fix something I broke. I was riding polite. I'm going to get stiffer springs later and do the racetech gold thing etc later when it's service time .. I'll just see how everything works stock first of course. I guess I could go to stillwell but I've had great results with Joe and racetech at tiki so I'll just keep with what has worked well. Areyou going to do the scavenger hunt on Dec 28 at Kahuku?  The oboyz are making like it's going to be brutal. It's the first time I've heard of a race where they want you to find a partner to go through all the trails from the beginning!! It brings another dimension to it all for any carrying and pulling/pushing.. and I like the $2 entry fee. Classic!

https://www.facebook.com/oboyzracing

perfect to test the xtrainer!

I did like the suspension when I had my '12 350rr, but that was a heavier bike and I tend to like 4 stroke plushness.  I'm glad you are getting along with Beta suspension; you're a lot bigger than me so for our slow speed terrain, the stock suspension might work decently. I do know that it kicked my ass in places that it shouldn't have :)   Riding is so subjective, I love trials tires but you don't so I don't expect us to like the same suspension.

Back to the X Trainer.   I'm excited to see and ride the bike, I hope I know the guy locally who gets the first one so I can try it out.  What I like about it is the 300cc engine and 36mm carb; I already love the 300rr power/delivery, hopefully this will be close to that.  A concern I have is that I keep reading 'entry level'.   A CRF230 is entry level, and I want more performance than that.  The CRF230 is a great bike, and I'd ride one all day, but definitely not EVERY day.

The Oboyz scavenger hunt will be neat I bet!  It is NOT a race, but a challenge for sure, and the A Class will definitely be tough.  Gotta figure out who to team up with that knows all the names and locations of the trails.  

As far as wanting it to be closer to a true trials bike, I don't think that would appeal to nearly as many people.   Ergonomics are more comfy on an enduro type bike; transmission ratios/spacing are funky on a trials bike; and trials bikes are high comp to kick over, not good for shorter people riding trails--no chance of fitting an estart onto a trials engine.   If you want a more trials type trail bike, Beta already makes the Evo Sport models with knobby tires and long ride seat kits.  

• Like 1

I did like the suspension when I had my '12 350rr, but that was a heavier bike and I tend to like 4 stroke plushness.  I'm glad you are getting along with Beta suspension; you're a lot bigger than me so for our slow speed terrain, the stock suspension might work decently. I do know that it kicked my ass in places that it shouldn't have :)   Riding is so subjective, I love trials tires but you don't so I don't expect us to like the same suspension.

Back to the X Trainer.   I'm excited to see and ride the bike, I hope I know the guy locally who gets the first one so I can try it out.  What I like about it is the 300cc engine and 36mm carb; I already love the 300rr power/delivery, hopefully this will be close to that.  A concern I have is that I keep reading 'entry level'.   A CRF230 is entry level, and I want more performance than that.  The CRF230 is a great bike, and I'd ride one all day, but definitely not EVERY day.

The Oboyz scavenger hunt will be neat I bet!  It is NOT a race, but a challenge for sure, and the A Class will definitely be tough.  Gotta figure out who to team up with that knows all the names and locations of the trails.  

As far as wanting it to be closer to a true trials bike, I don't think that would appeal to nearly as many people.   Ergonomics are more comfy on an enduro type bike; transmission ratios/spacing are funky on a trials bike; and trials bikes are high comp to kick over, not good for shorter people riding trails--no chance of fitting an estart onto a trials engine.   If you want a more trials type trail bike, Beta already makes the Evo Sport models with knobby tires and long ride seat kits.  

Yea I don't know the names of most of the trails..or I have the older names of them.  It's kind of weird that we are supposed to just team up with someone who knows all the names of the trails.. I inquired about a map or a list of names of trails but nothing...no response.. .. So I guess just go and wing it. It's just a ride to have fun and punish ourselves anyway. If it rains we are toast at that ride anyway but that's just part of the fun. I like the $2. entry fee.  anyway xtrainer  .. of course guys will buy this.. maybe not the typical entry level but the next "new" bike a more beginner rider buys after riding a used whatever bike. The no mix gas and the electric start and smaller stature , mellow torquey engine are the classic recipe anyway. "entry level' is more a matter of perspective and when each manufacturer first put out "entry level" in their brochures.  The crf 230f came out when ..in the 90's early 2000's.. I'm guessing. ..and Beta's are coming out now and it's coming from Beta which I think has a little different perspective. Still I think Beta knows what this is and just said entry level just to soften the perception of this bike for potential buyers. I see a hawaii hare and hound special edition when I see this bike. They could call it the Kauai Hare and hound special edition Hare and hound bike and that would be a better description to me.

• Like 1

Broke my wife in fast years ago. She finds out what I buy when I drive it home. :ride:

• Like 4

Broke my wife in fast years ago. She finds out what I buy when I drive it home. :ride:

My wife asked if I ordered two Xtrainers!  She wants to replace her '05 400EXC.  She'll ride mine before it's resprung and let me know if we need a 2nd one.  Cheers. M.

• Like 2

My wife asked if I ordered two Xtrainers!  She wants to replace her '05 400EXC.  She'll ride mine before it's resprung and let me know if we need a 2nd one.  Cheers. M.

Sweet!

I'm starting a special piggy bank now for a new toy next summer, this just might be "that" toy!

• Like 2

Had I know this was coming out I sure would have gave it a try over the pumpkin I picked up a few weeks back.  If the weight and seat height are as advertised I may get one anyway.   Really like the like I see.

Edited by john01
  • Like 1

Saw 2 guys at the race today who are smaller and on 125s. Both told me they were looking to buy a x-trainer.

• Like 1

How far have we came to think a $7000 bike is "entry level". I get the bike but let's face it not many entry level riders will buy it. This bike is perfect for the experience rider that wants/needs a second bike to ride trials like conditions. A CRF is 30lbs heavier but they are found on every corner for $4000 new and while not as nicely spec'd as the Beta it fills the need for "entry level" rider. Lastly Beta for the most part of the country is considered exotic which most people will not buy let alone a entry level rider.

The investment into this new category now with three or so brands is interesting. Now that Beta has the frame, throw a 250F motor into it. Seems like a gap in the line up.

This is an exciting new bike! At least $2k less than what they are asking for ktm freeride 250r in my area(posted at $9.5k) and  seems to be a better bike. To compare this to a bike 30lbs heavier is not apples to apples. You will make up the price difference the first time the fourstroke grenades, nevermind the fact that no amount of money will get the crf as light/agile or believe it or not torquey.

It would be xtrainer for me,

• Like 1