Decision Help! DRZ400S VS DRZ400E

So I am new to dual sporting... I am looking to get a DRZ400. I really like the reliability factor, and the fun factor. 

I found an 01 DRZ400E a few hours away from me for 2k. Then there is an 01 DRZ400S for 2k also. Someone told me to try go get the 2002 and up though, because it has better shocks. Is this true? If it is, is it that big of a difference that I should wait for another good deal? 

There is an 02 by me, but they want 2500... I really dont want to spend more than 2000 on it. All three of the have Jet Kits, and the 02 has a full yoshimera pipe. They all seem to be in pretty equal shape, the S has 10,000 miles on it. There is also an 05 400E by me for 3k...

To throw in a whole new thing, also I am considering a 96 DR350 that isnt running now, guy wants 1000, but said it ran great last summer. 

So.. which should I get? I am looking at doing 50 road and 50 off road, since I have to ride to the trails.

Is there a big difference in power between the E and S?

Thanks for any input!

It is true that the 02 and up have the diff suspension.. Based upon what you described I would go with the S model as it's setup better for dual sporting.. I have an 07s and have modded and taken a lot of things off to accommodate the tighter trails.. Here in the NW I can get through some nasty single track and hill climbs with my S no problem. It feels a bit heavy at times but it is a tractor. If I was to do it all over again id consider the E since I ride almost only off road.. But having the street legal aspect is nice at times..

Also I'd shoot to spend a touch more and get something with lower miles then 10k.. That's just my opinion though

Edited by NW_drZ

Thanks for the reply NW_drz  

I was initially leaning toward the e since it has more power from what I have heard, and it is lighter. However, there is no way of knowing the mileage which makes me skeptical when getting a 13 year old bike. I weigh about 190 so maybe I should opt for the better suspension? I have yet to ride a DRZ and really want to. I am experienced with XR250s 

I could get the 05 DRZ400E for 3k...  I live in Vermont where winter is coming, and prices start to drop. 

I'd really steer clear of the old S suspension (pre-'02?). The main difference is afaik in the forks - It's an old-school damper-rod design that's underdamped - meaning too soft - AND not adjustable AND can not be revalved to fix. I haven't ridden one but if it's as bad as it sounds I don't want to try it. The later improved suspension is still underdamped - something worse than that has to be pretty bad.

The E has quite a bit more power than the S, they say around 40 RWHP vs. 30 RWHP. Plus throttle response is much better - the S throttle response leaves something to be desired.

Are the E's street legal where you are? or can be made street legal?

Thanks for the reply NW_drz  

I was initially leaning toward the e since it has more power from what I have heard, and it is lighter. However, there is no way of knowing the mileage which makes me skeptical when getting a 13 year old bike. I weigh about 190 so maybe I should opt for the better suspension? I have yet to ride a DRZ and really want to. I am experienced with XR250s 

I could get the 05 DRZ400E for 3k...  I live in Vermont where winter is coming, and prices start to drop. 

The E does have more power no doubt, but I don't want you to write the S off like its some sort of slug.. Properly tuned with a 3x3, full pipe and jet kit it rips.. Or at least to me it does.. I have never once been off road and thought to myself, "man I wish i had more power"..  I crack the throttle and w/o hesitation it goes.  The bike seems to always get me out of the nastiest situations with the amount of torque it has..  If I find myself falling behind when riding with guys with bikes that have "technically" more power, its never because of HP differences.  Its usually because they are more experienced riders haha.

Anyways, I personally would base my decision on whichever deal you find thats better.  Basically which bike has been best maintained, lowest miles, etc etc etc.  I think you will be happy with either.  If I found two at the same year, price and conditioned i guess i would lean towards the E based upon my riding habits

Edited by NW_drZ

Awesome thanks guys. 

I am not going to dismiss the S model, I think I will be very happy either way. I am looking for best condition/best deal. I am shooting for the 05, E, it has a light kit on it and is street legal, plus it will have the better suspension. I am going to try to get it for 2500 hopefully... It is more than I wanted to spend. 

I'll let you know how it goes! In the mean time, anyone feel free to chip in with your thoughts. I might end up with an 01 if I can't talk him down though...

• Like 1

Awesome thanks guys. 

I am not going to dismiss the S model, I think I will be very happy either way. I am looking for best condition/best deal. I am shooting for the 05, E, it has a light kit on it and is street legal, plus it will have the better suspension. I am going to try to get it for 2500 hopefully... It is more than I wanted to spend. 

I'll let you know how it goes! In the mean time, anyone feel free to chip in with your thoughts. I might end up with an 01 if I can't talk him down though...

My brother-in-law rips on a 01 S model and has no complaints 🙂

This is crazy. The E has well over $1,500 with labor in extra, highly desirable mods from the FACTORY.

Higher compression ratio, pumper carb, free'er exhaust, hotter cams.
It's not just "a little more power" it totally transforms the bike!  Revs faster and harder, pulls like a freight train in comparison.

40hp to 30hp is 33% more power!  That's not a slight difference. 

Lots more fun!

• Like 1

This is crazy. The E has well over $1,500 with labor in extra, highly desirable mods from the FACTORY.

Higher compression ratio, pumper carb, free'er exhaust, hotter cams.

It's not just "a little more power" it totally transforms the bike! Revs faster and harder, pulls like a freight train in comparison.

40hp to 30hp is 33% more power! That's not a slight difference.

Lots more fun!

I have to agree, the early model E comes with all the stuff factory that people add to mod later S/SM bikes.

If you want signals and street legal no questions asked then the S is a clear favorite, if you can get an E legal easy in your state or care to go the Dakota route to make one legal the E is by far better for actual performance.

Basically if you plan to ride it offroad a lot, that is to say the vast majority of the time then get an E. If you want a dirtbike that's street legal that you can take offroad if you want then get an S.

Granted I have 2 early E models so I'm a bit biased, but the E from the factory is far better performance wise. You get the best of both worlds, decent dirt bike performance with a magic button.

Edited by dirtdude723
  • Like 1

So I am new to dual sporting... I am looking to get a DRZ400. I really like the reliability factor, and the fun factor. 

Thanks for any input!

Than I would go for the S, especially if you're on a budget.  It's already street titled plus all of the above !   :ride:

Edited by Throttle5

New to dual sporting - what are you riding now?
If coming off a multi, understand that an S and SM are dog slow.

And an E is only a step above that, but it's a pretty big step!

As in boring and "holy shit this is slow". That's WHY so many guys spend so much money bringing S and SM's to E spec.   😉
The E at least makes a "decent" street bike.   🙂

To be clear, all are totally competent and fun. To those of us that love slower, simpler single cyl 4 strokes.

But if coming off a bigger twin or 4 cyl, be prepared for throttle shock.  LOL

Save yourself time and $$ and buy one of the E's.

If not you'll spend a bunch more later hopping up the SM and hoping the aftermarket parts are as good as OEM, and that the local shop does as good a job as those factory wrenches at Suzuki.   😉

Edited by MindBlower

As in boring and "holy shit this is slow". That's WHY so many guys spend so much money bringing S and SM's to E spec.   😉

To be clear, all are totally competent and fun. To those of us that love slower, simpler single cyl 4 strokes.

If not you'll spend a bunch more later hopping up the SM and hoping the aftermarket parts are as good as OEM, and that the local shop does as good a job as those factory wrenches at Suzuki.   😉

Right now I have an older Honda, a CB550, and a 94 Harley FXR (1340cc), so yes, it is going to be a big change. However, I have spent some time on my buddys xr250, and I do love to ride in the dirt. I just want something with some more power than a 250, and the magic button is a big turn on. Not to mention everyone that I have talked to who rides a DRZ400 is very happy with it. I am going to test drive one this week, and I am hoping that I love it. I will shoot for the e model, even though it is a little bit more than the others Im looking at. He did however ass the Baja design kit to make it street legal. Any idea what the stock sprocket size is? I don't think he has the stock one on it, but has it to go with it. I think he said a 14 in the front? 

The ONLY reason to NOT buy an E is if they cannot be made street legal in your country or state.

Stock sprockets are 14/47 on the E. It's a bit short for asphalt but quite nice in the dirt.

This point of view on the gearing fits pretty well with my experience: http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZgea.php... (note that his views on suspension a couple pages later is only partially useful and actually rather misleading - unintentionally! - when compared with a decently thorough study of the DRZ suspension as found here: www.thumpertalk.com/topic/227172-valve-stack-recommendations-for-drz/

Here's a gearing calculator: http://www.gearingcommander.com/.. it has the DRZ and the S and E sprockets. It's a bit goofy at first but it's an excellent tool. (The rev limit is a bit off in it, I'd change the "max rpm" figure on the S to that of the E to get an accurate comparison)

Ill agree with part of this.. On strictly the street, the S model isn't some fire breathing sport bike thats going to slam you back when you crack the throttle.  However, off-road with it properly tuned (basic mods) it has more then enough power to get you moving quickly.  

• Like 2

Awesome thanks guys.

Brendan, I have a 2001 S model and it is true about the suspension, but what we did is redone the fluid and spring to stiffen it up more... seems like it had too much bounce back. Did that and my suspension for off-road and on street is perfect now! And it was a little weaker on the big hills and stuff... so we got a bigger rear sprocket and that helped a whole lot. I switch mine in and out depending on the riding I am doing on it at the time. You don't want to run a big rear sprocket on street. I don't know the shape of the one you are looking at but that price sounds good, I gave I think 2100.00 for mine last year.
  • Like 1

The ONLY reason to NOT buy an E is if they cannot be made street legal in your country or state.

Stock sprockets are 14/47 on the E. It's a bit short for asphalt but quite nice in the dirt.

This point of view on the gearing fits pretty well with my experience: http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZgea.php... (note that his views on suspension a couple pages later is only partially useful and actually rather misleading - unintentionally! - when compared with a decently thorough study of the DRZ suspension as found here: www.thumpertalk.com/topic/227172-valve-stack-recommendations-for-drz/

Here's a gearing calculator: http://www.gearingcommander.com/.. it has the DRZ and the S and E sprockets. It's a bit goofy at first but it's an excellent tool. (The rev limit is a bit off in it, I'd change the "max rpm" figure on the S to that of the E to get an accurate comparison)

The E can be made street legal here in Vermont.

On another note, I just came across this 06 DRZ400S, its a 2006, a little beat up from the looks, 9800 miles, and only asking 1800 bucks. Says he needs the money. Think I should snag this up? Seems like a good deal, it has an fmf slip on, and an fmf power up jet kit. Here is a picture: 

drz ny.jpg

drz ny 2.jpg

The E can be made street legal here in Vermont.

On another note, I just came across this 06 DRZ400S, its a 2006, a little beat up from the looks, 9800 miles, and only asking 1800 bucks. Says he needs the money. Think I should snag this up? Seems like a good deal, it has an fmf slip on, and an fmf power up jet kit. Here is a picture: 

Crazy how cheap that is,  you guys are lucky,  out here in Los Angeles that would be a 4K bike... 

show up with $1600 and snag it up,  a VERY good deal at that price IMO. 

does not look too bad. 

Crazy how cheap that is,  you guys are lucky,  out here in Los Angeles that would be a 4K bike... 

show up with $1600 and snag it up,  a VERY good deal at that price IMO. 

does not look too bad. 

Talked to the guy for 20 mins on the phone, it seems like a good bike, he bought it brand new and rode it mostly on trails. He said the only thing is it doesnt have a key anymore. It now has a switch start that is hidden... I am going to look at it this weekend if it doesnt sell before then!

• Like 1

Talked to the guy for 20 mins on the phone, it seems like a good bike, he bought it brand new and rode it mostly on trails. He said the only thing is it doesnt have a key anymore. It now has a switch start that is hidden... I am going to look at it this weekend if it doesnt sell before then!

For less then 2 g's,  you should go get it ASAP.   good luck,  let us know how it goes.