Kickstarter Mechanism Trouble-Please Help

Hello all, I have a 1995 Honda CR250R (2-stroke). I went in to replace my water pump mechanical seal and, in the process, the kickstarter mechanism, somehow, jumped out (I cannot really remember exactly how it happened). I got the schematic and put the mechanism back together (I'm pretty sure I put it back together correctly). It works fine and the kickstarter will go down and return UNTIL I start bolting on the ride side case cover. It will lock up, and the shaft will, somehow, seem to jam up. If anyone can help me with this problem, I'd appreciate it.

Hello all, I have a 1995 Honda CR250R (2-stroke). I went in to replace my water pump mechanical seal and, in the process, the kickstarter mechanism, somehow, jumped out (I cannot really remember exactly how it happened). I got the schematic and put the mechanism back together (I'm pretty sure I put it back together correctly). It works fine and the kickstarter will go down and return UNTIL I start bolting on the ride side case cover. It will lock up, and the shaft will, somehow, seem to jam up. If anyone can help me with this problem, I'd appreciate it.

make sure to push it in all the way into the groove and check that the gear isn't catching on anything

The kick starter shaft and Kick starter ratchet (gear like thing) need to be aligned.  There is usually a ping mark on both that you need to match up (when looking at it from the left side of the shaft).  The nub on the ratchet needs to slot into the kick starter plate, and of course the spring needs to be tensioned.  The kick starter gear must also mesh with your idler gear.  if the clutch was off the idler gear can fall off and must be installed in the right direction.  Its also possible your spring is not installed correctly. 

Note......Its critical to line up the ping marks (or what ever you may have there)  At least on the models i've worked on 1999 to 2001.  Iver seen a few busted cases (both the clutch inner cover and the right case).

Tip:  make sure the kick starter gear meshes in a plain with the idler gear and the idler gear meshes in plain with the cluch outer gear ring.  All the ones Ive looked I've seen the gears mesh pretty much spot on with not teeth on one gear of the other hanging out (unless on gear is thicker than the other, of course.)   Also insure that binding is not at the water pump where the shaft enters the bearings, this could be a secondary issue????