Making money of seized bikes?

Iv done it on a few 125s. 2000 models and up are better for resale. If you think of it as a fun hobby then its better. You can generally make your money back at very least if you build it right (not wasting money on silly cosmetic things such as wheels or cool levers). If you buy bikes in the 4-600 dollar range your better off. All that being said the most money i actually made off one was 500 bucks on a 04 yz 125. Bought it for 300 put 1000 in it and sold it for 1800. But its generally pretty easy to make about 2-300 off of one.

• Like 1

Wreckers always want far too much for what is most of the time crap. If they can jimmy rig and sell it they would.

Yep pretty much.

I've not seen much more than one machine worth buying from the local wrecker.

Buying stuff that has easy fixes and doesnt run is all well and good, but when the engine doesnt start, its harder to diagnose a gearbox problem, until after you own it**!

** My own personal exprience.

Thanks mate, yeah i was only thinking about getting them running, not wasting money on anything that's not needed. 

Most wrecks sell for about 600 - 1000 bucks here in Darwin.

If you're cluey I'd say you can do it, I've considered it too.

You have to know what to buy. Find something in demand, focus on that model, make your money on the buy, not the sell, and you might make a buck or two. The money in vintage is made on the buy. You can't raise market vale, but you can buy under market value.

• Like 1

This is the problem i seem to have. Im running like 3 wanted ads on kijiji, and everyone wants the same price as everyone else. And the rare find you do get, its located in the middle of nowhere. It costs too much to drive there, thats why the bikes so cheap.

Long story short, its hard. And you will be lookin for a long time.

I usually have an account with a few hundred bones in it that Builds me some interest while I wait for a good find. they're out there. Just keep looking.

the common thing in peoples examples are they paid very little for the machine. 300$ for an '04. the reality is you could just clean up and relist a machine as a project and sell it for 700$ with little work and zero added investment if it's a money making thing. If it's a hobby, the restore it for resale, that's my .02.

the trick is (and it is a trick) find a dirt cheap bike. 

• Like 2