1986 cr250... vintage value?

I found a very clean and very original 86 cr. I know these were a breakthrough year. What kind of money can they bring?

Considering grabbing it, cleaning it up to full potential, and flipping it in the spring time, are they worth anything significant? 1000? 1500? Less, more?

The 86 and 87 CR250's are very collectible, but condition is everything with any collectible bike. The Achilles heal of those bikes is the magnesium right engine case cover. They are always rotted out. Up until recently you could buy a new '91 cover from Honda and it was a permanent fix, but Honda no longer has them available so you have to find a good used one and they aren't cheap.

I agree, very collectible, but I think what the OP is getting at is he found a nice 1986 CR250, and he's asking if he should he snatch it up, because if he did a quick restore is the bike wanted enough to where he could make a couple grand by flipping it. I may be wrong, but that's what I'm getting from it. In my opinion, if you like bikes and you have the money and it's a good price, go for it. Ride it, and see what you want to do with it. You may want to keep it the way it is, or restore it to new condition stock, or even throw some upgrades on it. Always the option of selling it after any of these things are done.

I need one for the rick johnson deluxe model I have. The right crankcase cover is still showing up on all the dealers fiches. why do you say it's an obsolete part if it's not saying as such on the fiche ?

Up until recently you could buy a new '91 cover from Honda and it was a permanent fix, but Honda no longer has them available so you have to find a good used one and they aren't cheap.

You are too young to appreciate the 80's smokers, you weren't even born yet lol. Was the 86 as clean as this ? i'll sell ya my 89' for $4000, but that doesn't leave you any room to make anything on it.

1989CR250R.jpg

I found a very clean and very original 86 cr. I know these were a breakthrough year. What kind of money can they bring?

Considering grabbing it, cleaning it up to full potential, and flipping it in the spring time, are they worth anything significant? 1000? 1500? Less, more?

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-11340-KS7-831.html

fits 87-89 and is rumored to work from 86 on up. I guess I better get mine while the gettin's good. I will turn around one day and it will be obsolete and i'll be screwed. i wish there was some way to contact honda to get a life cycle of availability of parts for older bikes. I guess I can always try and ask them, question is who at american honda would I try to contact to ask and what kind of BS reply would I get.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-11340-KS7-831.html

fits 87-89 and is rumored to work from 86 on up. I guess I better get mine while the gettin's good. I will turn around one day and it will be obsolete and i'll be screwed. i wish there was some way to contact honda to get a life cycle of availability of parts for older bikes. I guess I can always try and ask them, question is who at american honda would I try to contact to ask and what kind of BS reply would I get.

I wouldn't dilly dally with that. If you have a  friendly Honda parts man, he can tell you how many 88-89 case covers are left in the warehouse. When they are gone, they are gone.

You are too young to appreciate the 80's smokers, you weren't even born yet lol. Was the 86 as clean as this ? i'll sell ya my 89' for $4000, but that doesn't leave you any room to make anything on it.

1989CR250R.jpg

I had this bike back in 89!!!  awesome machine (at least back then)....would love to throw a leg over it again!

I've seen these older fully restored CR's get anywhere from mid $2s low $4s on ebay....

Mine is 100% all original and not a restore. Still has the old Dunlop K695 on the rear and whatever the original front tire was, with no wear at all.

And I have the certificate of origin that came with it from the dealer, so it's worth even more than a bill of sale bike.

I'm sure this will be for sale some day, add me to your favorites list and maybe you will be throwing your leg over it one day.

I had this bike back in 89!!!  awesome machine (at least back then)....would love to throw a leg over it again!

I've seen these older fully restored CR's get anywhere from mid $2s low $4s on ebay....

1989CR250R.jpg

Dam that thing is mint !    Owned an 87 right out of high school & feel these late 80's CR250's were ahead of their time back then.

I see these pop up in my area once in a while in ok cond. with a price range of $1,500 - $2,500.      

I've seen some very clean 89' CR250's up for sale over the years, but nothing like the one I have. Dumb luck finding it too, and right place at the right time.

Rick Johnson would cream if he saw this, but he's probably got a few of his own in his collection.

Edited by Atieri

There was actually a recall on the forks, just one simple valve change does the trick, not as bad as some make it sound. Another internet rumor put to rest. The forks will only bother people that use this bike on the track, for trails and the casual rider, they aren't a problem. I don't ride at the tracks anymore.

He would also fix the forks, they were very bad. Very very.

There was actually a recall on the forks, just one simple valve change does the trick, not as bad as some make it sound. Another internet rumor put to rest. The forks will only bother people that use this bike on the track, for trails and the casual rider, they aren't a problem. I don't ride at the tracks anymore.

Yes. And I speak from personal experience with mine. I found mine equally bad in the woods also which was my only use. Once fixed they were acceptable.