Looking to upgrade from a CRF150f

Zack I think ur better off with the X if u only ride trails. Both bikes are designed for a very spasific purpous. R is for MX / track and X is for trails. IF u think you want to eventually ride MX the go with the R. But if only trails the x is the better bike for that. The race bikes can tent to over heat faster than the Xs.

I had a 250X and have a 450R now. Every time I took the X to the track I wish I was on the R. Every time I take the R to ride trails I'm glad I sold the X. LOL!!! I only say that becose I love my 450! But really the X is better for trails.

Zack I think ur better off with the X if u only ride trails. Both bikes are designed for a very spasific purpous. R is for MX / track and X is for trails. IF u think you want to eventually ride MX the go with the R. But if only trails the x is the better bike for that. The race bikes can tent to over heat faster than the Xs.

I had a 250X and have a 450R now. Every time I took the X to the track I wish I was on the R. Every time I take the R to ride trails I'm glad I sold the X. LOL!!! I only say that becose I love my 450! But really the X is better for trails.

+1 on everything Bill said....if you are trail riding...the X (wide ratio trans, elec start, lights, lower torque curve, etc) is much better suited.  You can also look at the WR250F, KTM 250 XCF-W.  KTM 200 EXC/XC-W would also be a move up bike and similarly powered to a 250F.

+1 on everything Bill said....if you are trail riding...the X (wide ratio trans, elec start, lights, lower torque curve, etc) is much better suited. You can also look at the WR250F, KTM 250 XCF-W. KTM 200 EXC/XC-W would also be a move up bike and similarly powered to a 250F.

Do KTM have much problems? Im after hearing that theyre costly from maintenance and break downs and what not

+1 on everything Bill said....if you are trail riding...the X (wide ratio trans, elec start, lights, lower torque curve, etc) is much better suited. You can also look at the WR250F, KTM 250 XCF-W. KTM 200 EXC/XC-W would also be a move up bike and similarly powered to a 250F.

Also, is there much change from a 4-stroke to a 2-stroke?

Power delivery is very different on a 2 stroke. They build power with revs with an abrupt hit when they come on the pipe. Its comparable to a turbocharged car in the way the buikd power. Obviously it's better for some conditions than others. Personally I prefer a 2 stroke in the woods and prefer a 4 stroke in sand pits and on the street

Edited by woods guy

Power delivery is very different on a 2 stroke. They build power with revs with an abrupt hit when they come on the pipe. Its comparable to a turbocharged car in the way the buikd power. Obviously it's better for some conditions than others. Personally I prefer a 2 stroke in the woods and prefer a 4 stroke in sand pits and on the street

I only ride in woods and mud, no streets or pits