Mookie to Geico

Guy B via Vital MX:

GEICO Honda adds Stewart to 2015 250SX West team

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Nov. 5) -- With the start of the 2015 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series quickly approaching, the vaunted GEICO Honda team has added Malcolm Stewart to its 250SX West lineup.

Stewart ended last year's 250SX West action in sixth place with three podium results and just one finish outside the top 10, showing he has the skills it takes to be a winner at the professional level.

"I'm excited for this opportunity," Stewart said. "Obviously, the GEICO Honda team is a top-tier group that is always in contention. I think my previous experience in the 250 class, especially in 250SX West, will help make this transition easier and get us off to a fast start.

"I'm hoping to start the year off strong and get the results I think we are capable of achieving."

GEICO Honda team manager and past series champion Mike LaRocco feels the addition of Stewart to the team will give an added veteran boost to the entire Supercross season, not just the West races.

"We like to put our best foot forward on the West Coast," LaRocco said. "Not only is the majority of the industry located in this region but the West riders kind of dictate the rest of the racing. The other riders really get to build some momentum off the West guys if they're running well, and that's what we like to try to ensure.

"Running in both the 450 and 250 classes, we like to keep a good balance of experienced riders and rookies on the team. We think Malcolm will help bring that balance. The kid's got speed and hopefully, in the right environment, we can get some podium results out of him."

Stewart will make his debut with the team Jan. 3 at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif.

Good for Mookie !   I am still not sure why they keep wanting him to ride the 250?  Makes no sense to me? 

Because he can't get a 450 ride. This deal has been on the table for a while but he wanted a 450 ride and once ge realized he wasn't getting one he took it.

• Like 3

What else is there to say but to reiterate what's been said....

I'm really surprised they are putting him on a 250, he's much better on the 450.

Seems like he over rides the smaller bike, I bet he ends up on a 450 for the East coast rounds.

Geico seems like a step up from the TLD team, good for Mookie.

Edited by poldies4

I sure hope when they east starts they let him out on a 450. he needs to showcase his ability and the small bike is too small for a heavy guy to be competitive on IMHO. I think he can do OK but really if there is a case for a bike holding a rider back its him on a 250f. I remember him talking about what he had to do to jump a section when he was on a ktm250f , he won the qualifier and was riding excellent! said he had to downshift while tapped to just clear the jump into the corner. It was impressive and he was one of the few accomplishing it. This was 3 seasons ago! he was toooo big three seasons ago! Give him a 450 and be done with it!